Best RTS?

What is the best RTS you've played for PC?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best RTS you've played for PC?

• Starcraft
    • Warcraft 3
    • Command and Conquer
    • AoE
    • Age of Mythology
    • LoTR: Battle for Middle Earth
    • Other

My favourite RTS would have to be Dark Reign. The ending sucked but up until that point it was a pretty awesome game. The unit AI settings were quite nice, helped keep the units alive.

Ambushes were so much fun. Take a bunch of mercenaries and phase them. After the tanks roll past you un-phase and attack before the know what's going on. :cool:

I don't think the games even have much strategy to them.  Most of them seem to be a test of how fast you can click the mouse to mine and build.  Then you send 50 units to go fight 50 of the enemy's untis and you hope you can out-produce them.

Where is the real strategy in that?

Then you haven't played the best with the game.

Ever heard of microing?

When I played Starcraft, the people I played with used so many strategies and tactics, even controlling each unit seperately within every battle. It's amazing.

Battle For Middle, didn't have to worry about money very much, and rather than having a single soldier for each click you get a squad, though some of the stuff you guy's are mentioning (especially about garrisoning buildings) is in Act of War.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Battle For Middle, didn't have to worry about money very much, and rather than having a single soldier for each click you get a squad, though some of the stuff you guy's are mentioning (especially about garrisoning buildings) is in Act of War.

Go AoW! Although it was amazingly easy to clear out entire maps with those Task Force Talon Rail Guns-er snipers. :rolleyes:" Those things went through tanks almost as fast as they went through infantry. Personally I loved using blackhawks to airlift snipers to the roofs of buildings that other infantry can't get into because there is no ground floor entrance. Made good sniper positions and excellent scouting areas.

I liked Spellforce, because if you wanted to, you almost never had to play the RTS part of the game. You could just take your little band of heroes and fight your way through the maps, solving quests and gathering equipment RPG style! I loved how the mix of RPG and RTS worked so well.

I went to a press preview of "Rise & Fall" the other day, and it seems to have the potential to become a solid RTS title, where you can try out the Spellforce way of life for 2-6 minutes per map. Keep a lookout for it!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Being able to click the most per second = strategy.

Yup, I kind of liked Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War but that was all about spamming units too, not damn bit like the boardgame.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What will follow is an orgasmic orgy of gunfire and death-howls, sounding like you dumped ten monkeys into a giant blender while firing a machine gun into the air in victory. Geysers of blood will spray from the bodies of exploding Zerglings, staining the ground with its hot stickiness as your warrior calmly pivots and fires his endless supply of hate-dipped bullets in an efficient, robotic slaughter. Knee-deep in spilled life, he wades through bodies, cutting down his oppressors in a maniacal rage as he basks in his own invincibility. He will make the world pay for its sins. And that payment will come in the form of shredded flesh.

Your computer will crash within two minutes, regardless of your setup. Try it.

If you have young children, as I do, you'll need to do this over and over and over again, forcing them to watch. Clamp their little heads between your hands, point them toward the slaughter and say "see? THIS is the world. THIS IS THE WORLD!!!"

IGN should hire this guy.

It's TBS, you dolt.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

mine is probably the origional C&C, just for nostalga and because it's the only one where after i sold my entire base, (on the sam site level, nod side) i was able to wipe out an enemy. course the origional Mammoth tanks worked in it's advantage (MK2's suck and the Red Alert ones are gimped.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's TBS, you dolt.

My favourite "RTS" is chess

See the ", you dolt.

What does that mean? Do you engage in threateningly hostile out-of-game strategies whilst you play, or something?

Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War spring to mind, as does Blitzkrieg.

I was going to say: "Where the hell is Rome: Total War?"

There is even a Total Realism mod for history buffs. :shifty:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I knew the apostrophes were there for a reason, I still couldn't understand why you chose to call it real-time. For the record; we do know that chess is more sophisticated and tactical game than the clickfests mentioned here, but how does it matter to the discussion?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

mine is probably the origional C&C, just for nostalga and because it's the only one where after i sold my entire base, (on the sam site level, nod side) i was able to wipe out an enemy. course the origional Mammoth tanks worked in it's advantage (MK2's suck and the Red Alert ones are gimped.)

What was the original mammoth tank like. I can't even recall what it looked like. I'll have to play through C&C when I visit my uncle this summer. Don't think I've ever finished the original. :shifty:" That and Firestorm are the only ones I haven't completed.

no u

kirottu said:

NO U :angry:

kirottu said: