KotOR II Movie/Music Patch Coming Soon

Guest MacleodCorp

I don't think a movie & music patch will be released either... If they were going to release the music & movie patch, it would have happened along time ago. The music & movie patch is most likely not a priority. Let it go!!! Let it go!!

It seems like my 'late september' prediction is coming true.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Guest MacleodCorp
It seems like my 'late september' prediction is coming true.

What I am willing to bet is: Lucas Arts is in the production of a third, and he will release it sometime next year. However, they will hook, line, and sinker until the third is released. They will make promises after promises, for it brings people back to the site, and the patch will never be released.. Otherwords, they will come into the forums, and release a statement, "KotOR II: Music & Sound' patch will be released soon, and it will not be true. What they maybe trying to do is try to keep the fan base. Its called stirring the pot...Publicity Stunt...

Guest MacleodCorp

Sprite ran a program to find their demographics, and what they found was:

1. If you use celeberties in ads it no longer works.

2. If they use celeberties dress up as the current trend, it does not work.

3. However, if they held free concerts, taped the audience, and then used the tape in the advertising, their sales would go up.

Intresting isn't it? Other words, they sold the public an image, which the public allready had inplace, and spin, spin, and spin... Now, there is something about being online. If I were to sell a product, release it to the public with errors. Upon the next day, notice people liking the product, but they had problems with it. I would release a second or third version, so people would forget the first one's errors... Within the mix, I would promise to fix the first version, so I can keep the publicity up..

MCA is a professional.  Obsidian lives and dies on the ability to solicit money from publishers.  If he threw their publisher under the bus, it would ruin the company.

No one throws Atari, EA, LucasArts or any of the bad publishers under the bus, because it is bad form.

As far as I know, Bioware did this to Interplay during the developpement of NeverWinter Nights without being harmed, Valve did this recently to VUGames and Epic Game did this to Atari since their next Unreal will be edited by Midway.

So if the developper is big enough, it is totally possible to say f*ck to your editor and go elsewhere.

Anyway, what does "MCA" mean ?

Depends on whom you ask. I think the most common explanations are "Mr. Chris Avellone" and "Magical Chris Avellone".

Comparing Bioware and Valve to Obsidian is a little bit unrealistic as by the time those companies split with their publishers they already had an impressive list of bestsellers. In Interplays case I think it was widly known in the industry that they were at the edge of extinction so from a business point of view it is surely understandable for other publishers that they left and Valve wants to publish their games themselves or even become a publisher with their steam platform.

Obsidian is still a young company and therefor dependant on the cooperation with publishers. I guess the best think they can do is either to change publishers if their experience with them was too horrid or try to make bestsellers to strenghten their position with potential publishers during the contracting phase.

I'm pretty sure it's all outsourcing now.  I'll look into it further.

EDIT: I think their last in house game was Republic Commando.

Pandemic did Battlefront and is doing Battlefront II.  They also did Mercenaries.

Empire at War is Petroglyph.

Galaxies is done by Sony Online Entertainment (and is a struggling MMO)

They currently only have three games in development.....all of them by a third party.

Just saw your edited update here.

You missed at least one game being internally developed at LA. See the following report dated "05/18/05 04:51 PM PST" stating, "... Developed internally by LucasArts, the yet-to-be-named Indiana Jones game promises the expected action and adventure in every nook and cranny of the world..." (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/18/news_6125622.html).

Chances are that other games, not yet publicly announced, are also in the pipeline.

What I am willing to bet is: Lucas Arts is in the production of a third, and he will release it sometime next year. However, they will hook, line, and sinker until the third is released. They will make promises after promises, for it brings people back to the site, and the patch will never be released.. Otherwords, they will come into the forums, and release a statement, "KotOR II: Music & Sound' patch will be released soon, and it will not be true. What they maybe trying to do is try to keep the fan base. Its called stirring the pot...Publicity Stunt...

Come on...

Be realistic:

That would be the Worst and most COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE publicity stunt Ever,

Handy for Decreased Sales...

Comparing Bioware and Valve to Obsidian is a little bit unrealistic as by the time those companies split with their publishers they already had an impressive list of bestsellers. In Interplays case I think it was widly known in the industry that they were at the edge of extinction so from a business point of view it is surely understandable for other publishers that they left and Valve wants to publish their games themselves or even become a publisher with their steam platform.

Obsidian is still a young company and therefor dependant on the cooperation with publishers. I guess the best think they can do is either to change publishers if their experience with them was too horrid or try to make bestsellers to strenghten their position with potential publishers during the contracting phase.

You did not read all my post. I said this could work if the developper is big enough which is not yet the case for Obsidian...

As far as I know, Bioware did this to Interplay during the developpement of NeverWinter Nights without being harmed, Valve did this recently to VUGames and Epic Game did this to Atari since their next Unreal will be edited by Midway.

So if the developper is big enough, it is totally possible to say f*ck to your editor and go elsewhere.

Absolutely, if the developer is big enough. Epic, Valve, and Bioware are all huge game developers (especially in the PC World).

I don't think Obsidian is QUITE there yet.

You missed at least one game being internally developed at LA. See the following report dated "05/18/05 04:51 PM PST" stating, "... Developed internally by LucasArts, the yet-to-be-named Indiana Jones game promises the expected action and adventure in every nook and cranny of the world..." (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/18/news_6125622.html).

Chances are that other games, not yet publicly announced, are also in the pipeline.

I didn't include it, because I just looked at their website. Although apparently Battlefront (by Pandemic) was "in house" so they must be an in-house development team...so Battlefront II is probably the in house game they are speaking of.

Probably makes sense, because I heard Battlefront had huge sales.

I didn't include it, because I just looked at their website. Although apparently Battlefront (by Pandemic) was "in house" so they must be an in-house development team...so Battlefront II is probably the in house game they are speaking of.

Probably makes sense, because I heard Battlefront had huge sales.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say, but SW Battlefront and Indiana Jones are quite different.

[ Edit, point was made and admitted earlier, no point to it ]

Just as an aside, Troika had similarly good designers/staff working for them (they're also from BIS- gogo Fallout), and they too failed. And eventually got to the point where they couldn't get publisher support after continually blaming their publishers for the problems with their games.

I'm not disappointed with K2, especially after replaying K1. I do feel that I did have an initial overhype (the bane of sequels!), and the ending is a bit disappointing, but apart from that, I'm really happy and satisfied. But I can understand others being disappointed.

And I agree, don't let OE off the hook for a percieved rushed product. Perhaps it'll make them more adamant about a realistic timeframe. Or at the very least, stop dealing with rushing publishers.

Guest MacleodCorp
KotOR II Movie/Music Patch Coming Soon

Posted Tuesday, July 5 at 16:49 PM CST

Obsidian's John Morgan has confirmed to us that the Star Wars: KotOR II patch containing higher quality in-game movies and music will be released in the near future. In fact, according to John, the patch could make it into gamers' hands as early as next week.

Keep in mind that this patch will not address any gameplay issues or bugs, but instead focus entirely on implementing the promised higher resolution movies and improved bit rate music.

Well, it has been a week now, and today, (Friday, July 15) is the end of "Next Week' according to the date of the article. Also note, it is the last buisness day for the week.

Now they did say to key phrases:

in the near future

as early as next week

If you were expecting the patch this week, I would reread the article again, and take a closer look at those phrases. By the end of today, you will find out what those phrases mean.

Well, it means the patch could be released a few months after this week, but when they say "in the near future" it can't take too long.

They say "as early as next week" for a reason. They could have said "as early as next month".

We will probably see if the patch is coming or not. If we have to wait too long, it means (that's what I think) it's not coming.

Guest MacleodCorp
Well, it means the patch could be released a few months after this week, but when they say "in the near future" it can't take too long.

I might remind you of OE's definition of "In a day or 2"

So don't expect it (would be nice if it was, though)

I think it can be translated to a year or two.. lol... =]

Either John Morgan was making an official announcement that was sanctioned by LA, and the patch will appear (probably Sunday night), OR he was speaking out of school, in some sort of PR man

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just as an aside, Troika had similarly good designers/staff working for them (they're also from BIS- gogo Fallout), and they too failed.  And eventually got to the point where they couldn't get publisher support after continually blaming their publishers for the problems with their games.

And people wonder why Obsidian doesn't come out and flat out blame Lucasarts. Perhaps because they don't want to get a reputation for placing the blame on publishers?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What I really hope Obsidian learns from this (that Troika apparantly didn't) is that even if you are given a very short timeline from your publisher, you make sure that what DOES get released is quality, even if it's not very much.

But that I mean bug-testing as well as no quests that simply can't be finished, or the final map problems of landmarks existing that you can't get there, as well as all the extra cut content on the XBox disc. I could go into detail, but that's really not the point of this thread, but the majority of people agree that K2 is pretty flawed (and some think it's also great, while some think it was a waste of money).

The guys at Obsidian may have worked on other classics in the past, but they weren't the only people working on them, so aren't 100% responsible for those games, and might have had actually little to do with them (myself, I don't know what % of Planescape was done by current Obsidian employees), or might have done 95% of those games. What really matters is what Obsidian has done, which is one game. And in this gamer's opinion, it was great in concept, horrible in execution (especially as Darkside). Sure, there are spots of brilliance, but overall I got a negative feeling from playing it. And I've unrecommended it to two friends (well, recommended that it's worth waiting for it to hit $20, as before then, they'll likely be disappointed), and neither has purchased it yet. Seriously, when I see that K2 won RPG of the Year awards, my first thought is that the only way it wins that is if there aren't other RPGs released (or very crappy ones). It's a $20 game that was sold for $50.

I think Obsidian's biggest current problem is a complete lack of anyone in their company that has decent public relation skills. Morgan shouldn't have posted what he did, since it simply wasn't fact, but since then, the silence has been even worse.

I do hope they'll succeed, as there are very few games coming out that I really like, and K2 (as well as NWN2) is the type of game I want to play. But I don't want to play crappy RPGs. I really hope they'll turn into another Bioware (best gaming company there is, slightly ahead of Blizzard, IMO), but they're not off to the best of starts. And I'll be very cautious about NWN2.

Guest MacleodCorp
Either John Morgan was making an official announcement that was sanctioned by LA, and the patch will appear (probably Sunday night), OR he was speaking out of school, in some sort of PR man