Divine Divinity and Wizardry 8

Lancer

These two have caught my eye for different reasons. As I understand it, DD is heavily inspired by both Ultima VII (which is a good thing!) and Diablo.

I didn't like Icewind Dale, for ex, because not only did it not have enough RPG elements but the dungeons were very long, boring and seemed to drag on and on. BG series dungeons, OTOH, were just about right in length to me.

Wizardry 8 just sounds like a cool 3D RPG from what I have read so far.

If you didn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I havent played Wixardy 8 but I cant imagine anything worse than DD except Diablo and Dunegon Siege.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I havent played Wixardy 8 but I cant imagine anything worse than DD except Diablo and Dunegon Siege.

Well someone who didnt like that sort of combat would probably hate it on principle. It would be like recomending any sort of plaform or driving game to me.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Toee, Lionheart and IWD2 are a few that I would rate lower than DD. I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

ToEE had a good combat engine which was a plus. Lionheart had a really good city in Barcelona. They both had that going for them. I'm not saying they were great games. I'm saying they had some semblance of a redeeming quality which makes it hard to believe they are the worst games that come to mind.

ToEE had a good combat engine which was a plus.  Lionheart had a really good city in Barcelona.  They both had that going for them.  I'm not saying they were great games.  I'm saying they had some semblance of a redeeming quality which makes it hard to believe they are the worst games that come to mind.

Toee comes very close to one of the crappiest releases ever. It

- Steven Erikson

ToEE had a good combat engine which was a plus.  Lionheart had a really good city in Barcelona.  They both had that going for them.  I'm not saying they were great games.  I'm saying they had some semblance of a redeeming quality which makes it hard to believe they are the worst games that come to mind.

Toee comes very close to one of the crappiest releases ever. It

image002.gifLancer

I have always wondered why this is so especially in contrast to Bioware, the late Black Isle, and Obsidian which make relatively bug-free games in comparison.

Bioware does make extremely polished (albeit a bit boring) games, but I'm not sure most of the people on this board would include Obsidian in the same sentence. I mean, they have released one game so far, and maybe my version was special but it nearly sets fire to my ATI GPU for some reason. It's not as polished as I would have hoped for.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bioware does make extremely polished (albeit a bit boring) games, but I'm not sure most of the people on this board would include Obsidian in the same sentence. I mean, they have released one game so far, and maybe my version was special but it nearly sets fire to my ATI GPU for some reason. It's not as polished as I would have hoped for.

Fair enough. We just don't know enough about Obsidian yet.. And I had edited my post before your reply. But as I understand it, KOTORII's problems can be mostly attributed to an inordinantly tight schedule imposed by LucasArts. Remember how long KOTORI (or even NWN) was in the works? Apparently Bioware didn't have any problems telling LucasArts to piss off and let them have the time needed to make a kick-butt game. You could expect that Obsidian would have made a pretty polished KOTORII had it a more realistic time schedule.

image002.gifLancer

Thanks everyone and Ellester, Dhruin for your hints, tips again.. After much deliberation I have decided to purchase Wizardry 8. I will come to understand the repercussions of my mistake in due time. :)

image002.gifLancer

Troika (including the Interplay folks who worked on Fallout) have made some really good games although they have developed (and with Vampire, cemented)quite a reputation for making buggy games. None of  their RPGS (FO, FO2, Arcanum, Vampire, and ToEE) ever feel "polished."  It's as if they don't play test their games enough.

I have always wondered why this is so especially in contrast to Bioware and the late Black Isle (we don't know enough about Obsidian yet) which make relatively bug-free games in comparison.

Troika didnt make FO and FO2.

Interplay made FO, although in all but name it was BIS and BIS made FO2.

KOTOR had a doozy of a gamestopper on the Xbox.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Thanks everyone and Ellester, Dhruin for your hints, tips again.. After much deliberation I have decided to purchase Wizardry 8. I will come to understand the repercussions of my mistake in due time. :-

Well at least they are both bargain bin titles. It shouldn't hurt your wallet too much if you don't like it. :)

btw, if you have a complaint about the speed of battles check out the IGN wizardry forums, and do a search about speeding up combat. Wolfie over there has a little program that speeds up combat as fast as you want, up to 25 times faster, iirc.

- Steven Erikson

Troika finally earned the fanatical devotion their fans have lavished upon them by making V:tM Bloodlines. Too bad it was their swan song.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Troika didnt make FO and FO2.

Interplay made FO, although in all but name it was BIS and BIS made FO2.

KOTOR had a doozy of a gamestopper on the Xbox.

You must have not noticed that I *did* write FO was made by Interplay in the part of my post in parenthesis that you quoted.. :thumbsup: The point in lumping the FOs with Troika's games is that many of the people who made the FOs also worked for Troika. And you can definitely see the FO influence in Troika's games... including the bugs. :wacko:

Saying Interplay or BIS made FO2 are both correct statements. BIS was Interplay's roleplaying division which was created sometime after FO1 was released.

Just adding my .02 cents

image002.gifLancer

Making games for mobile phones!? Seriously? Ooh god, please tell me you're kidding! I mean, after the release of V:tm they truly showed all, that they are one of the best on the RPG market(imo anyway)! The dialogue options, the characters, the quests.. it was great! Personally I really liked the story too, and the multiple endings were all cool.

Hey, which ones were actually working on story, characters, and dialogue? Does anyone know?