What company have you had a bad experience with?

Ellester

With self made pcs isnt there a risk of random hardware conflicts? The bigger names tend to do soak tests on set hardward configs so at least you know the ste up will work.

The risk in my experience is fairly small. Unless you're trying to plug an intel chip into an Athlon board, you should have very little trouble. After all, most computer-literate owners will replace hardware in premade machines over time in any case (more RAM, new graphics card, bigger hard drive, etc. etc.), so most parts tend to be pretty compatible with others.

I really would recommend building a computer yourself. It's fun, educational, and when you're all done you'll have something to be proud of. Plus, you can use bits of your old PC in your new one. You can plug your old hard drive in with your new one and keep your data, take your old floppy drive over, you can take over a recently purchased graphics card or CD drive instead of paying for a similar new one in a premade, and so on and so forth.

You don't save a huge deal ccompared to a premade if you're buying all the components new (what you save is the cost of the computer warranty, insurance and tech support), but if you can cannibalise your old machine, it could save you a lot of money.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I personally think the parts that computer vendors put in their pre-made machines (at least the mainstream ones) are minimal or sub-standard. Either that, or they're 'tweaked'--f'rinstance Dell might have a major manufacturer like Creative make a 'special' version just for them. We had that problem with the SBLive that shipped with aforesaid machine--and it turned out neither Creative NOR Dell would support it, both pointing fingers at the other. A stock Audigy 2 ZS now resides in its slot. The same thing goes for the Radeon 9700 Pro that came with it. Semi-proprietary.

I tend to be picky about the hardware I use to put together a machine, endlessly researching compatibility, reviews, etc. prior to any purchase. And I think that dollar for dollar, I get a more solid machine, one you just don't throw away after it's outlived its ability to run the new software and games. Which is why computers outnumber the 'organics' in this house. :p

On the other hand, one of the BEST recent experiences I've had with companies was with APC; my UPS failed its self-test last year in the middle of hurricane season (Murphy's Law, oh yeah, whyever not, right?). Battery wasn't holding enough of a charge, but the unit itself was fine. They shipped me not just a battery but a whole new unit right away; all I had to do was put the old one in the same box and send it back. No arguments, no lengthy back and forth 'try this, now try this..' and no down time. That's the kind of customer service that fosters brand loyalty.

Yeah, I'd much rather praise the companies that I really enjoy being a customer to.

Webhallen.se: Supergreat (swedish only) source for ALL kinds of games! Great prices, great delivery times and GREAT support. One of my absolute favourites!

Bredbandsbolaget: 10/10 Mbit for 295 SEK (appr. 38 USD) per month. Never had any problems, they don't harass you if you fail to pay a bill in time (er..) and they have no bandwidth limits. Super!

Plextor: Not only is their DVD-burner the fastest little thing I've ever worked with (8x, that's faster than my friend's 16x NEC!), but their 2 year support is absolutely awesome. They trust their consumers, and trust is rare nowadays.

Komplett.se: Very cheap prices, very good support, very good delivery times. They're not as dominant as they once were, but they're still good.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Alienware screwed me badly -I forked over top dollar for one of their top of the line machines and ended up having to send it back for repairs 4 times in the first year alone.

The first time was from an over-heating problem, but the subsequent 3 times was from an unexplained crash everytime I played a game for more than a few minutes. Every time they assured me it was fixed and it wasn't until they finally gave in and replaced the whole system that a proper resolution was reached -and that was only after I threatened to make a formal complaint to the department of consumer affairs.

I must have wasted weeks of my life trying to find a solution on-line, reinstalling drivers, video cards, reformating my entire system and harrassing their help line.

Sounds like a heating problem.

Whatever they told you, the Graphics Processor was overheating; that's why the game worked for a few minutes (until the chip reached a critical temperature).

I've heard pretty good reports from the games mags about them; certainly if you write in to a complaints section the company will respond promptly, in my expeience.

Dell Computer.  Top of the line machine shipped with a faulty DVDRW (the whole batch was bad, which was well documented on their own site) but their tech support now resides somewhere in Ubekiquistanski...  and their only response was 'reinstall Windows'.  Lord I hate that catch-all excuse, and having to explain the difference between 'hardware' and 'software' to fifteen different people who don't speak the same language.    Ended up giving up (buying and installing my own replacement), even though it was a matter of principle after buying a 3-year service contract.  Guess they'd rather lose a customer than replace a bit of hardware that probably cost them all of $5.

I don't like the quality of Dell's stuff.

I'm sure they are implementing a built-in obselescence programme that Henry Ford would be proud of, whereby all their components are timed to disintergrate after the warranty. I have a Dell 8000 and the battery went about a day after the 12 month warranty ended. I have since found that most people with Dell Laptops are familiar with the Dell CBS (Crap Battery Syndrome). I used to use the laptop's battery every day, with a deep discharge one a week. Nevertheless, it still died after the perfunctory twelve months. One of the reasons I bought an IBM Thinkpad: they have the longest battery life in the industry.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds like a heating problem.

Whatever they told you, the Graphics Processor was overheating; that's why the game worked for a few minutes (until the chip reached a critical temperature).

Nope - they shipped me multiple replacement graphic cards before I sent it back to them, and the temp on the graphics cards was within limitations.

Whatever - I usually build my own systems but had been salivating about an Alienware for years (taken in by magazine hype) so I thought I would spoil myself when I moved countries.

Worst mistake ever. They'll never get my business again (although I must admit my inner nerd is tempted by the cool Dark Side Sw cases they've pimped recently).

Bioware. I've been banned from the off-topic forums for 15 days. Yhat's really bad. I've joined'ere to end my boredom as I was a Bioware addict

The Illuminator

Democracy starts with allowing different political opinions to express themselves.

Fascism starts with killling all, who has different political opinions than yours.

It's a pity for earth as it is full of fascists claiming to be democratic.

Hey, he was banned by BIO so he is probbaly hateful of them so, and he canf rely call them cowards and Hitler wannabes at the Codex without fear of apprisal. :lol:"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.