Thumbs up for new Batman.

In fact i would prefer it if they didnt use Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, Freeze or Ivy. I dont mind seeing two face cos he was done badly by tommy lee jones; he just did a bad impression of the joker. Yes freeze and Ivy were also very lame but the gimmicks for their characters are too corny to pull off. The rest would be retreading old ground.

Mr Freeze is my favorite Batman villain. Well, at least the Animated Series version was. Because he's the most sympathetic of all the batman villains.

Anyway, since this is a complete reboot of the series and disregards the 4 previous movies, which, IMO weren't actually very good, I hope to see them all. Penguin was done terribly, Riddler was done terribly, two-face was done terribly, and Joker wasn't terrible, but he was just Jack being Jack, only in makeup.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The comics are poor ripoffs of the movies.

It's true. Tim Burton and Joel Shumacher pwn that Frank Miller guy. Any time, any place, any story.

Who is the actor supposed to be?

If they go for the look, how ill they pull it off without it being corny? I guess they won't have an origin since he is already comitting crimes as The Joker.

If they don't go for the look then won't that be wrong? How is it Joker w/o green hair and a white face?

Oh silly Batman Begins you raised my expectations so high that i fear there is nowhere left to go but down :'( (i hope this isn't the case)

I have no idea who that actor is supposed to be, but I think that look definitely pulls off the raving madman well. I'd be okay with something like that, but then again, I'm by no stretch of the mind a purist. I think they could also do a classically styled Joker without coming off as corny, but they'd have to be careful.

Considering the rumor mill says Joker is the villian in this movie (Fox has confirmed this bit), and the tail end of the movie is his trial, where he turns Harvey Kent into Two Face by splashing the acid on him (they have confirmed this as well, the transformation and the trial at least, maybe not the timeframe in the movie), and then the third movie will be Joker vs. Two Face (I'm fairly sure this was confirmed, but I could be wrong, basically Two Face is pissed off and looking for revenge), I think they couldn't go wrong introducing Harley Quinn, and focusing on her backstory for the last half (third?) of the movie.

Picture it this way. Joker and Batman face off in the beginning parts. Joker is caught, and brought to justice by Bats. Harleen Quinzel is appointed as the court's shrink and meets up with Joker in Arkham. Then a large part of the rest of the movie can focus on her slip down the slope of sanity, with her emerging alongside the Joker in #3. Or even trying on her costume (perhaps at a masked ball of some sort to make it context appropriate instead of her just donning a costume from nowhere) near the end of the second installment.

Where did you hear all these "confirmations?"

Actually, I just realized I was wrong, I apologize, I interpreted something I read somewhere else wrong, it is just a rumor so far.

Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman are all signed on for three movies though.

MOST INFORMATIVE LINK I COULD FIND

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's probably the best Batman film to date, and certainly far better than the recent offerings.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I would hope that there be no mention of Catwoman in this franchise - after that silly film last year.

I never saw it.

You cant really have batman without Catwoman. She is important in both the Batman and the Bruce Wayne aspect of the character.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I disrespectfully disagree :D

Only if they play her as a hooker/cat burglar and some tart who gets "cat" powers :devil:

Robin is/was a big part of the batman mythos but i think they can get along without him. In the comics he is portrayed well , but so far on film/tv its just too weird - a combination of the garish suit and the fact he is a boy in tights hanging round a grown man in a rubber suit... :)

Christian Bale just said he hopes they don't add Robin, as it would make it campy.

Nolan said Robin is an infant when Batman first starts out, and Nolan would be gone from the franchise before Robin was added.

Christian Bale just said he hopes they don't add Robin, as it would make it campy.

Nolan said Robin is an infant when Batman first starts out, and Nolan would be gone from the franchise before Robin was added.

I thought Robin would likely be that young kid they saved. I'm glad to hear the comments though.

Batgirl has way more appeal. o:)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I heard the idea that the young kid would be Robin too.

As far as things go, I suppose it would make sense. He believes in Batman and believes he fights for what is right. Given that Batman was there for him during the chaos in the Narrows, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of heroic idolation towards Batman (I would!).

I heard the idea that the young kid would be Robin too.

As far as things go, I suppose it would make sense.  He believes in Batman and believes he fights for what is right.  Given that Batman was there for him during the chaos in the Narrows, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of heroic idolation towards Batman (I would!).

I think if you worked on that relationship in part II then you could pull off part III without robin coming across as camp.

Robin seeing Bruce/Batman as a father figure would work for me I think. I suppose it ultimately depends on what sort of timeframe they work around.

478327[/snapback]

No Robin!! STop rationlaising an origin for robin... they might hear it and get ideas :ph34r:

.. Maybe if they jump straight into nightwing?

I'm pretty sure its nothing they havnt already brainstormed on :ermm:

I've heard the name but I dont follow things that closely. Whats so different about nighwing ? Except for the name sounding better o:)

478327[/snapback]

The first robin (schlong grayson) left batman and ventured out on his own, he called himself Nightwing. He has a cool costume and he is like Batman but more fighty and less detectivy.

To avoid the whole quagmire of robin being percieved as Batman's personal rentboy they should just leave him out altogether.

Batgirl has way more appeal. :thumbsup:

Pre or post-The Killing Joke? :wacko:"

I went out Friday night and saw the movie with my girlfriend. I have to say the movie is almost my favorite Batman movie ever - Burton's first Batman movie still wins for nostalgic reasons - and it does get a lot of things right, not just in comic book to movie transition, but as a standalone Batman movie. I particularly enjoyed the elements taken from the Batman: Year One and Batman: The Long Halloween graphic novels. The cast did a great job, I didn't find the special effects to be over the top, and it was a thrilling ride.

I was only dissappointed with a handful of things, though they were mostly due to my own expectations.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

Flass and Gordon's shaky relationship wasn't as well explored as it could be, and I found Gordon's and Batman's own relationship to be too friendly from the get go. Mr. Zsaz was terribly wasted; if he wasn't going to be used more thoroughly (a shame, given the character) then he should not be used at all like that. The Scarecrow was good but underused in my opinion. And suggesting that Ra's Al Ghul, one of Batman's most powerful and important foes (if not the most), dies was a bit of a let down.

To finalize, I think Bale was the best Bruce Wayne until now. He gets the careless, carefree playboy attitude very well. But something is off when he plays Batman. Either the attitude or the excessively rispid voice. I'm undecided between Bale and Michael Keaton as Batmen.

Note: Did anyone else noticed Rutger Hauer popping up lately in comic book to movie adaptations? First his role as Cardinal Roark in Sin City, then in Batman Begins as Earle. I hope he's coming back with some good roles, I've always liked him and haven't seen him in quite a bit.

Sequel? I wasn't too sure if the end of the movie hinted at a sequel or if it was more of an attempt at a continuity reference to the first Batman, but considering the talk that BB is meant to be a reboost of the entire series it might just get one. The Joker would be the obvious choice but I'm hoping they lay off the thought of having Robin. If they do include Robin, then they might as well go with the Batman: A Death in the Family novel as inspiration, if not full out canon.

In fact i would prefer it if they didnt use Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, Freeze or Ivy.

There's no shortage of villains to use. Mr. Zsaz, the Black Mask, Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, (a proper) Bane, the Mad Hatter, or Clayface (all four of them) come to mind, and I'm very much forgetting several others.

I think Bane is a good down to earth villian which seems to be what the new batman is about.

You would have to do batgirl pre killing joke . And although you would have to seriously compress the timeline it would make for an excellent set piece as would the aftermath.

I get the feeling Katie Holmes is going to end up in the batgirl outfit at some point. Or it could just be wishful thinking :thumbsup:

478327[/snapback]

I want to see Katie Holmes killed off in a fashion in the second film which leaves part of the responsibility in Batman's hands. Perhaps he could have saved her at the cost of something or someone else.

It will make him reevaluate the whole vengeance angle again.

I would suspect Katie Holmes getting killed off is the only probable outcome.

Apparently Warner Brothers has not renewed her contract for the film, citing that they want a stronger actress for the female lead. They also comment that they were upset with the amount of media attention her relationship with Tom Cruise has received, and felt it took away from the film's exposure (although I think this is just WB being a bunch of babies).

I wouldn't be surprised if she went all Vicky Vale on us and just disappeared with little to no reference in the next film. Hopefully that isn't the case though.