X-Men 3 being systematically destroyed

EnderAndrew

Gene hackman wasn't a great lex luthor, too much comedy and that was in the days when luthor was just a an evil genius, instead of the evil megalomaniac genius posing as a philanthropic corporate tycoon of the post crisis era.

The old superman movie: The origin and reeve as Superman was good, everything else wasnt.

As oerwinde said, tom welling is fine for smallville, but not for film.

Yeah, I was hoping that they were going to pull a "Begins" type thing and reboot the Superman franchise. The old movie adapted the pre-crisis world, and this new one is sposed to be a pseudo sequel. It won't directly relate to the old ones, but it doesn't disregard them either. I think thats a recipe for disaster.

Also, have you seen the pics from that licensing show? AGAIN they don't make Lex Luthor bald. WTF.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Too many people love Christopher Reeve, and they went into preproduction on this just as Reeve died. So they cast a guy that looks just like a young Reeve, and they are tying this into Superman 1 and 2. 3 years ago, or 3 years from now, they may have made different decisions.

This also won't be an immediate sequel. It's set in our time, and Superman has been missing since the end of Superman 2.

IMO superman doesnt need a reboot because the marlon brando origin is very good as it is - and everyone and his dog knows the story of superman.

I think so far they are respecting the old films as far as the look and events are concerened, hopefully they will use the original willams theme.

I just hope "aware of the films in a vague historical sense" doesnt mean the way charlie's angels or starsky and hutch lampooned theri 70's counterparts.

I dont mind a new score just so long as they have the krypton theme and his "march" theme.

EDIT: Ok so X men 3 has a good chance of sucking becasue bryan singer left the project, to do what? Superman Returns of course.

Here is the first thing i've seen which makes me more excited. Yes superman has hijacked this thread.

I don't think they should have even bothered with a Superman movie. Maybe it's just me, but I find superman to one of the most boring superheroes ever. I can't really identify with a guy that can fly into the sun and not die.

What they really ought to make is a Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane movie:

1027_4_030.jpg1296_4_065.jpg

There's so much movie potential in those comics. And they're way more interesting than boring old superman stories.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Arent those just clever photoshops of SA origin?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't think they should have even bothered with a Superman movie.  Maybe it's just me, but I find superman to one of the most boring superheroes ever.  I can't really identify with a guy that can fly into the sun and not die.

Not only will he not die, but he will become more powerful. He did that in a storyline about an invasion of earth and came out and wiped out like an entire fleet by himself.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Superman is largely a boring character. There have been a few interesting takes on him.

For instance, one guy wrote about a Supes who grew up in Russia instead of the States, and became a hero of truth, justice and the communist way.

My main interest in a Superman movie right now is Singer's involvement.

Superman is largely a boring character.  There have been a few interesting takes on him.

For instance, one guy wrote about a Supes who grew up in Russia instead of the States, and became a hero of truth, justice and the communist way.

My main interest in a Superman movie right now is Singer's involvement.

The animated series made Superman much more interesting. They weakened him so that he's still near invulnerable, but at least he feels it. He can take a missile to the chest, but instead of just standing there, it sends him flying backwards. He also is nearly as strong as normal, it just takes time to ready himself to use the limits of his strength, or the effects of his strength and its effects on his surroundings are more realistic. Like he can catch a crashing jet with little effect on himself, but the ground and the jet would crumple under the force. Makes him much more interesting when he can't do everything so easily.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's not merely invulnerability. The Nameless One was truly immortal, and thusly invulnerable to an extent, and yet he was a very interesting character.

Superman isn't human, and is nearly perfect. He wants nothing, needs nothing, and is selfless for no apparent reason. How can any one empathize with a total and complete stranger who never feels lonely, never feels greedy, and has no vice to speak of?

You'd be hard pressed to invent a more boring character if you tried.

Origianlly, Superman could be injured (and I assume killed) by an exploding artillery shell. I think that had I been alive back when the first comics were being written, I might have quite liked superman comics.

But as Ender said, things like his complete selflessness make him generally unbelieveable as a person the reader can ideantify with. Even in Red Son (which I confess I have not read, and am going on a synopsis and a few reviews), superman is ultimately an actual selfless communist, despite the fact that everyone else in the Soviet Union with any significant power was corrupt and evil.

Even when in the end he takes over the world, he sets up an acutal uncorrupt benevolent dictatorship for the good of mankind

In fact, the Supermans (men?) which I like the most are the ones that the Usenet group soc.history.what-if dreamt up, like Ubermensch and Superjew. :D

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

It's not merely invulnerability.  The Nameless One was truly immortal, and thusly invulnerable to an extent, and yet he was a very interesting character.

Superman isn't human, and is nearly perfect.  He wants nothing, needs nothing, and is selfless for no apparent reason.  How can any one empathize with a total and complete stranger who never feels lonely, never feels greedy, and has no vice to speak of?

You'd be hard pressed to invent a more boring character if you tried.

It's meant to be an ideal, surely; like an altruistic weltanschauung an archteype of the US collective, a zeitgeist superego.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You say you've seem them all, but what about this?

http://img154.echo.cx/img154/8298/superrapist0hh.gif

Yowza. :rolleyes:

Heh, one of the few Superman comics I happen to have (I'm more of a Marvel fan and think Superman is largely a boring character). Some crippled guy took over his body and went on a power trip on that one.

SODOFF Steam group.

I saw a graphic novel in Borders last night called Superman: True Brit. It was even co-written by John Cleese. Sadly, I didn't have the money to buy it and the other books I was getting at the time, but I am most definitely going to go back into town to buy it this week. I must say, though, that I will be very disappointed if there is not at least some reference to Bicycle Repairman, especially since one of the "wonders" of the British Empire depicted in the opening pages was people slapping each other with fish.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Germans have words for everything. You have to love that.

I bet they have a word for having smegma in your teeth.

Either way, Superman is still a boring character that we can't relate with. Some may emulate his "bad-ass-ness", but I'd prefer a character who struggles and has a semblence of human nature.