What gameworld do you like the best?

As it says. What gameworld would you like to experience again?

Not asking which game is the best. Not which game has the greatest characters either. But the world in general. Which one has the most unique feeling to it, and why is that?

Personally I would prefer the world of Arcanum, as it is a quite "simple" world and... yet not? I like the clash of magicians, knights and inventors. The world seems to function just about as it did in our world some houndred years ago. At the same time there's a revolution of science opposing the good old system existing of magic and weapons, a clash of opinions. Should we really go farther with this new knowledge, what will the consequences be?

It's a really interesting world, in the process of creating a new one. :devil:

Please share your opinions of the gameworld you've fallen in love with :devil: and the reason to it! Tell us a bit of how the world is.

Planescape is not a world so it is auotmatically disqualified. Afterall, the FR is a part of PS.

I vote for FR, btw. Arcanum is also pretty good. The Jade Empire is kewl. Some of the FF worlds rocked espicially FF8...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Planescape is not a world so it is auotmatically disqualified. Afterall, the FR is a part of PS.

I vote for FR, btw. Arcanum is also pretty good. The Jade Empire is kewl. Some of the FF worlds rocked espicially FF8...

Jupp, I know it's a part of the FR, but still. Isn't FR more like a universe, and Planescape just a part of it, with its own realm?

And yes, FF8 had quite an interesting world. But I'm a bit biased(?) there, because I truly love the characters in the game. I don't think you really had too much of a view of the world in general in FF8. Did ya? Don't exactly remember.

But hey, don't forget the most important part. The explanation. Why did you choose Forgotten Realms as your favourite gameworld?

Excuse my english..

"Jupp, I know it's a part of the FR, but still. Isn't FR more like a universe, and Planescape just a part of it, with its own realm?"

Other way around. FR is part of PS. Just like Greyhawk, and other D&D worlds. PS is basically D&D's multiverse equivilant to our real world space.

"But hey, don't forget the most important part. The explanation. Why did you choose Forgotten Realms as your favourite gameworld?"

That's easy. There's enough written about it you have a solid basis for an alreayd made world while being open enough to add a person DM or player's touch. There's lots of variety of cultures, creaurtes, cities, city cities, et al. that one campaign or game or game can be completely different than another yet have enough aspects being the same it is familiar.

How is Planescape not available as an answer to this thread? I don't see any problem, as it was a game world in PS:T. Simple as that. Of course you can just take it as "going in further detail about the locales of Forgotten Realms" :devil:

And FF8 ws just a rehash of it's predecessors, only real addition were the gardens and the fact that they went even more modern with the sci-fi aspect. Well, okay it was quite original, but still.

My favorite gameworld is the City of the Thief Series. Charmingly focused on just one city, still having more backround about it's history, people and happenings than an average rpg any day. And we're talking about an FPS here. The City is a full-blown c ocktail of influences from Perdido Street Station to Ankh-Morpok, mixing in some victorian London on the way. Twisting streets of windswept slums and shady dockland taverns. Fancy mansions bursting with pseudo-steampunk security devices and gadgetery, with overshadowing huge cathedrals and clocktowers where fanatic religious sects gather to withstand the growing corruption of the wilderness's followers. Wierd beasts and paganic tribes howling in the night. Crypts and catacombs burrowing to earth's core where the cataclysmic remains of the previous civilization's undoing still linger. Sounds really easy place to live, donchathink? Especially when you're the public enemy numero uno. It's really a world worth saving a couple of times.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Other way around. FR is part of  PS. Just like Greyhawk, and other D&D worlds. PS is basically D&D's multiverse equivilant to our real world space.

Haha allright, sure missed something there! Thanks.

Well, might as well leave it at that. Ignore my remarks, Volo.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Planescape was a campaign setting on its own, which I would count as a gameworld.

But anyway, I'd like to see a Dragonlance game. What was the last one we had? Dark Queen of Krynn back in 92?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

My favorite gameworld is the City of the Thief Series. Charmingly focused on just one city...

Boy, that sure sounds interesting, have to check it out I think! :devil:

That just leaves you with one big question. What's outside the citywalls if only one city can be that chaotic?

Planescape was a campaign setting on its own, which I would count as a gameworld.

But anyway, I'd like to see a Dragonlance game. What was the last one we had? Dark Queen of Krynn back in 92?

Something like that Dragon Lance has changed a lot though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"And FF8 ws just a rehash of it's predecessors"

Um. No. It was a new world that shared some of the same qualities; but also had differences that set it apart.

"Planescape was a campaign setting on its own, which I would count as a gameworld."

Not a world. It's a multiverse that contains many worlds. Since does a world or game world contain otherworlds. Afterall, it hosts many, many, many worlds. And, then some...

Something like that Dragon Lance has changed a lot though.

Really? I've only read the Dragonlance Chronicles.. the other series after that, and perhaps one other book. I think(?) the Dragonlance Chronicles have at least several couple of years to it, so what books would you say would symbol the "old" Dragonlance world around 92... and Which would symbol the present world of Dragonlance? You know of any examples?

Really? I've only read the Dragonlance Chronicles.. the other series after that, and perhaps one other book. I think(?) the Dragonlance Chronicles have at least several couple of years to it, so what books would you say would symbol the "old" Dragonlance world around 92... and Which would symbol the present world of Dragonlance? You know of any examples?

Last I looked it was Dragon Lance the new generation. Which is a bit out of date. In the last novel I read something apocalyptic happened and the gods left Krynn.

Looks like it's moved on again since then. Heres a blurb from one of the new campaign sets.

The Fifth Age of Krynn

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

To Mordrian:

Old Dragonlance; had a sort "Tolkieny", "the good times are already past"-atmosphere. Also, it was magic heavy, something which the later incarnations lack partly.

For the modern Dragonlance; big huge freakin' dragons and apocalyptic feel to the whole world. The climate has changed exceptionally in just a few decades. No gods.

About the things beyond City's walls; huge wilderness with a few neighboring city states. All the cities feel quite self-sufficient, which instills a polis-like feel. There's also ther cultures and continents, but the Thief games just dismiss them as fluff. The City's where it's at. I love the place.

kirottu said:

Last I looked it was Dragon Lance the new generation. Which is a bit out of date. In the last novel I read something apocalyptic happened and the gods left Krynn.

Looks like it's moved on again since then. Heres a blurb from one of the new campaign sets...

Aahh yes, if I remember it right,(mind, long time ago) the gods had already left Krynn in Dragonlance Chronicles, mostly anyways. So that's probably what I'm most familiar to.

Edit:

Aahh thanks Musopticon? Have to say I most often prefer a less magic heavy world, but the old Dragonlane sure sounds interesting.

"a polis-like feel", that sounds.. lovely :devil: Hehe, just can't keep my hands off something that feels very obscure. Or as it sounds to me what you're saying. something of a more totalitarian society, or on the edge to become one?

"There was no rule stating Planescape is part of the Forgotten Realms"

That is because PS was never a part of the Realms. The Realms are a part of PS.

"With 3.0 and 3.5 d&d editions the planescape setting was removed, along with many other d&d settings, and it is now really incorporated into the d&d universe."

False. PS has *always* been the D&D universe. It's basically the multiverse where all the D&D worlds, heavens, and hells are located.

PS, in essence, is the most important aspect of it since it consists of all the worlds.

And, sure you can choose to ignore it; but that is illogical. Afterall, I could ignore all the bad parts of say GH and make it sound perfect. Or FR. Or Whatever. Bottom line is that PS is not a world. Period. This is an undisputable fact.

"a polis-like feel", that sounds.. lovely :) Hehe, just can't keep my hands off something that feels very obscure. Or as it sounds to me what you're saying. something of a more totalitarian society, or on the edge to become one?

I don't exactly understand what you mean by totalitarian...well, there's no central government in the world and no real order outside the cities. The City is lead by a Baron, who is off warring against the other city states(Blackbrook, for example). In the meantime the real power is held by both rich merchants(or corrupt policemen, whichever way you look at it) and a fanatical order of warrior priests known as the Order of the Hammer(hammerites). They worship a god dedicated to civilization and construction, but are actually very ascetic when it comes to their dogma and ethics. The Builder is known for being the bringer of fire and light, starter of civilization. He's the direct counterpart of pagan deities, who are trying to return the City in to it's "roots". The pagans are sort of druids with a very magical look. All kinds of foresty and even lovecraftish stuff. Quite simply; the pagans are the Chaos and the hammerites the Order. Then there are other players... :ph34r:

kirottu said:

My favourite world would be the Gothic world. I just love the people, the lush forests, the political intrigues, the different mage factions, the orc war, the climate, the feeling of being a part of discovering a new continent, piece by piece.. The vast seas with its endless possibilites. I can barely contain myself until I get a chance to finally be able to explore the Gothic mainland in Gothic 3 (Gothic was inside a prison, Gothic 2 was on the island where the prison once stood). The world of Gothic is never flat, and that's something I really like.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ditto'ed. Gothic had a nice grimy medieval atmosphere. And, for change, people had logical reasons for being good and evil. There were no extremes as such. If you discount the endbosses.

kirottu said:

DragonLance been run by the novels for a great deal of time and I dont like when that happens, writters are doing overreaching story archs that will simply rip apart the setting if it serves the story.

That what made me left FR, I got tired of the novel line running the setting development.

Personaly I would like to see a Legend of the Five Rings based game, chance for that to happen are slim to none.

drakron.png

Bit off topic, but..

Geez, Drakron, I saw you've played Guild Wars for 45 hours this week! You've played an entire working week and more (40+) :)

So.. Is it that good?

Edit: Just as I wrote that, it changed to 67 hours.. Now I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with that counter. You can't have logged an average of 9.5 hours every day of the week, can you..? That's almost impossible if you have a job.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!