Which console are you signing up for?

Out of the three which do you consider the most attractive prospect?

Personally we are PS3 all the way, in no small part to the huge catalogue of games we already own from the previous two systems and in part to our Japanese connection.

The Xbox dosnt really do much for me as even if it is backwards compatible you can count the Xbox games we own on one hand. Although as a western console I think the Xbox will have the edge in the NA market while everything else gets translated.

Nintendo have always had a handful of very solid titles so even though it's not really a must have, at some point I will have to get one for those games. Nintendo are also the most innovative of the three so perhaps something new will come along.

Aesthetically PS3 wins although it looks similiar to the Xbox 360 it's sleeker.Still trying to get used to the glowyness of the revolution.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Out of all three I like the look of the Revolution the best, although I doubt I'll be getting any of the three. If I did it would be the Revolution though. Still haven't seen the controller for it though.

Most of the games that I want to play that have come out on the Xbox have also come out on the PC and I'm guessing it will probably be the same with the 360. I've never really been all that interested in the Playstation line-up so that's out.

Whichever one has the best game library at the point in time when their prices start to drop.

I've never been a big Nintendo fan (of all the Nintendo systems, I've only ever bought the first one), so it'll be between the PS3 and the XBox 360 if I do get one.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't want to get one, but I do want to play more than 2 games a year, and I want to play them without problems (more or less). I'd probably get the 360 or PS3. Probably XBox to play the back catalogue of games.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

it looks like they have the largest commitment from Japanese developers.

You don't say.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't want to get one, but I do want to play more than 2 games a year, and I want to play them without problems (more or less). I'd probably get the 360 or PS3. Probably XBox to play the back catalogue of games.

If backwards combatability is a factor for you isn't the PS3 a better choice, seeing as you can play games back to the PS1? I thought the XBOX 360 would only have a certain percentage (read: best sellers) of games that would be backwards compatible.

You don't say.

I'd say a good 90% of the games I really enjoy these days are Japanese in origin.

No doubt.

I just meant that being Japanese in origin, it's kind of a given.

If backwards combatability is a factor for you isn't the PS3 a better choice, seeing as you can play games back to the PS1? I thought the XBOX 360 would only have a certain percentage (read: best sellers) of games that would be backwards compatible.

I don't know about that. It may be true, but it will turn a lot of people off from the 360 if they can't play their favorite (whether or not it was a best seller) game on the brand new shiney box.

Of course, if this is true, I'll probably be getting a PS3 first (if I get any in the foreseeable future)

I'll be getting a PS3 definately :)

Backwards compatability is the winning feature... plus look at all it can do :)

I'll probably get the next gen Nintendo console... if it's backwards compatable... maybe.

I'll probably get the next gen Nintendo console... if it's backwards compatable... maybe.

Yes it is.. Plus Nintendo intend to allow downloading of nes and snes and N64games for free although aging is going to be a factor most of the N64 stuff should be ok. If it includes the Japanese and US games that never made it to europe it's going to be well worth buying.

Any clues if there will be a Doa:Volleyball JES?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

With the current price tag I probably won't be getting any of them at launch.

The price is... Prohibitive, to say the least. Moreso because there's a split between the markets with Xbox having various exclusive-titles from ex-PC (and current PC) developers, while the PS3 has the majority of Japanese games as well as a considerable number of NA/European games. I do think that the PS3 has more value in terms of game catalogue due to backward compatibility with the more or less gigantic pile of PS/PS2 games (both Japanese and not, since back in the day before Xbox picked up speed it was all PS), but with Microsoft willing to lose money to keep the Xbox afloat, I'm also quite sure that dominance among American developers isn't out of grasp for MS, and American games have always appealed to me just a tad more (though not on the console front, which is another factor to consider).

Anyways, back to the price problem: I can't see myself buying more than one console till the price tag's well below $200, and that I think is one of the problems with the console market at the moment. Sure, the rich people will have it all, but I personally would rather buy a PC for school, work, home, and play than to buy a PC for school, work, home, and then buy 2-3 consoles for play, which is the reason, after all, why I'm still cheering the PC on against the odds.

Here's to the hope for more cross-platform development - though likely it won't happen with all the new exclusive titles and what not.

There are doors

It's not that price isn't a factor. I don't like the idea of throwing money away. Still, I'm probably going the xbox route simply because I can afford the system and I've enjoyed my current xbox.

The only thing that irritates me is the fact that my old xbox games won't work. Mostly that doesn't matter as I've played all of them several times. Still, I relax by playing the Tiger Woods games. Even after I beat them and have my character maxed, I still play.

*shrug* I'll just buy the next Tiger Woods game EA ships for xbox 360. I couldn't care less about the vast majority of Japanese style RPGs I've played. I'm not railing against them, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It's not that price isn't a factor.  I don't like the idea of throwing money away.  Still, I'm probably going the xbox route simply because I can afford the system and I've enjoyed my current xbox.

The only thing that irritates me is the fact that my old xbox games won't work.  Mostly that doesn't matter as I've played all of them several times.  Still, I relax by playing the Tiger Woods games.  Even after I beat them and have my character maxed, I still play.

*shrug*  I'll just buy the next Tiger Woods game EA ships for xbox 360.  I couldn't care less about the vast majority of Japanese style RPGs I've played.  I'm not railing against them, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Do you mean that the 360 isnt backwards compatible ? Or that your games just stopped working?

Tiger Woods on the DS is fun. Makes good use of the touch screen. As for costs of consoles, I see them as a one off payment for which you get the best of the system for 4-5 years. Seriously compared to the ammount I could spend keeping a PC top of the line for the same 4-5 years dosnt even come close.

Nice article from Nintendo Europe http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59446 not related to the subject really, but interesting.

478327[/snapback]

I've heard that xbox 360 won't be backward compatible. I can never keep track of these things I don't really trust them until I hear official word closer to the release date. After all, look at the demos for xbox and ps at E3.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

But you don't need to keep a PC top of the line for 4-5 years to play the games (for instance, my PC from ~3 years ago run HL2 just fine with a $300 vid card upgrade). Plus, any upgrades to the PC will also help just about everywhere else you use it, since a computer/laptop is indispensable in this day and age (as a result, buying a console would be an added price ontop of the PC, equivalent more or less to a high-end graphics card).

My point though is that it's very doable if it's one console system, not very doable if it's two or three, which then forces you to choose the "best" to stick with. Sometimes, that decision maybe simple (ie perhaps in your case, with your preference of J-games). Other times, it's not (like in my case, since I want to play both the vast array of PS games and Bio/Obs/etc.'s new Xbox games), and becomes prohibitively expensive as a result.

I mean, it's much easier to convince yourself that your computer needs an upgrade (and a ~$500 computer nowadays can run just about any game on the market at moderate settings) than it is to convince yourself that your gaming hobby deserves a $500-1000 downpayment for the next 4-5 years (for two consoles, that is). And that's just for the system.

There are doors