Request for some decent PS2 RPGs

Although there are a truckload of RPGs for PS2, I could never really get into many of them. The only ones I could really point out would be Digital Devil Saga and Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

And chances are he has a PC, since he's on the boards here, which leaves 1 or 2 on the Xbox :thumbsup: so unless he likes JRPGs, he's SOL.

Yup, I have a PC, and I also have Morrowind, KOTOR and KOTOR 2, which I think are 3 of the "4 or 5 RPGs for XBOX", so XBOX isn't really an option. And for Morrowind, I've got like 100+ mods installed. Don't consider Morrowind a "good RPG", but do consider it a really good adventure/exploration game. I really like the game, but not as an RPG.

So FFXI, would that be "typical" of JRPGs? If I like that game, chances are I'll like many of the others?

And the Zelda games, those are or are not "typical" of JRPGs? I've played them all through Ocarina of Time, and really liked them, especially Ocarina.

Yeah, if you like FFX, you'll typically like JRPGs. There are quite a few out there that are better than FFX as well, like the Suikoden games.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've heard next year.

I've heard Square forgot were is Europe again and they are trying to find that world map the portuguese left there in the 15th century so they can locate it.

Convince Europeans to buy more games :thumbsup:

About 10? years ago, NA was on the short list (if we got games at all) until they realized we REALLY want them to send them our way.

That does not work, Komani actually heavy invest in the PAL market.

Other companies do not, Namco for example is unwilling to release many games for PAL region and so we dont see many games, Nintendo appears to force publishers to do all regions since if was up to the publishers you would only see Nintendo handhelds support.

In console terms we are catching up in numbers but we are a bit like the US 10 years ago, not enough market for the publishers to risk game genders they feel they dont sale, RPGs are seen as such a gender in europe.

Square is very lazy as a publisher, they appear to taken forever to reach the US and their presence in europe is a bad joke (EA is "nice" enough to pick up Square titles for europe, I might hate their evil hellspawn ways but damn they can really publish a game) so ...

drakron.png

FFX is the RPG of this console generation at least for another 18 months :D

What to recomend really depends on which bit of RPGs you find most interesting. Playing with stats and an open system or an enticing story with characters with some depth. Baten Kaitos (GC) for an expample had a great story but the gameplay is something of an aquired taste.

Anything Squenix do usually comes out way ahead of the field so they are always a pretty safe bet for RPG goodness.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I've had a PS2 for quite some time, mostly for racing games (Gran Turismo, Need For Speeds, WRC game), and also for the two LOTR movie games (good hack-and-slash fun).

But with the lack of many decent PC RPGs lately, I was wondering if someone could kindly direct me to a few of the more decent RPGs for the PS2.

I did pick up Final Fantasy X over the weekend, but haven't really given it a try yet.  I heard that Final Fantasy X-2 is pretty childish (heard it was designed for 14-year old girls from one person, and someone else completely agreed).

So, any other titles (and they don't have to be new, just "new to me") that people highly recommend for good storylines and decent fighting/leveling systems?

You may find Disgea enjoyable

And Square are STILL being lazy with sloppy conversions onto PAL, with that infamous "black border" surrounding the screen.

Might want to try Front Mission 4 for PS2. I played part 3 for PSone, and thought it was very cool. Strategy/JRPG with fully customizable mech-armor.

Final Fantasy 12 is expected 1st quarter of 2006 in the West.

It's a lot of work. It would be so much easier if they only had to do the english language version.

I dont think FM4 got released here. May have just missed it though.

You can still get FM3 for

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

^ Nah, I don't think the pacing is what made FFX-2 less dramatic then FFX. FFX-2 was a lighter story, plain and simple. And I do suspect the "girl power" Charlie's Angel type stuff was aimed towards a younger crowd.

^ Nah, I don't think the pacing is what made FFX-2 less dramatic then FFX. FFX-2 was a lighter story, plain and simple. And I do suspect the "girl power" Charlie's Angel type stuff was aimed towards a younger crowd.

I dont know about that. I got a very different experience storywise doing the hotspots to what I got doing the full thing. Including the whole behind the scenes at operation mei hen which was really dark...

The only real difference was a female protagonist some people found that difficult to come to terms with.. although yes it did have a Jpop vibe in places the 1000 years song was incredibly moving as was the the whole back story.

478327[/snapback]

playing jrpgs...

ever eat ice cream too fast... get brain freeze sensation? playing jrpgs is a bit like having brain freeze for 20+ hours. stings at first... you wanna keep saying wtf over and over and over... but then you just kinda gets numb to the whole experience. is folks that actually enjoy such stuff... same as some peoples enjoy having sensitive body parts pierced. go figure.

personally we avoid jrpgs... and as such the ps2 is not a console we would want for rpg entertainment.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

playing jrpgs...

ever eat ice cream too fast... get brain freeze sensation?  playing jrpgs is a bit like having brain freeze for 20+ hours.  stings at first... you wanna keep saying wtf over and over and over...  but then you just kinda gets numb to the whole experience.  is folks that actually enjoy such stuff... same as some peoples enjoy having sensitive body parts pierced.  go figure.

personally we avoid jrpgs... and as such the ps2 is not a console we would want for rpg entertainment.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah the thing with JRPG's is they tend to be a bit...over-the-top? Japanese ultra-dramatic soap opera style, I guess. I think it's more a cultural thing than anything. I can see how this would grate on people's nerves; for me, I don't mind it to a certain extent, though there have been a few occasions with certain games where just I roll my eyes, turn it off and trade it in for another game.

That said, I will say that I feel there are some pretty decent stories to be found in some JRPG's out there. Xenosaga I think has a very good, epic story, and I thought FFX was an excellent story as well. Can they get a little goofy at times? Sure, but not to the point where I can't stand it anymore. Some Strategy JRPG's (Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics, in particular) had some really great stories as well.

I'm going to KILL THEM! They finally decide to bring it to Europe...starting with part 2? We're not going to know what the hell is going on!

Yeah you will, there is a mini movie which comes with part II which fills in all the events in part one.

Still why they wouldnt start with part one is beyond me but thats the way it is right now.

Bit like sqenix and the still not available FFIII no real logic there either since all the others have been released in various formats.

478327[/snapback]

GameSpot says nothing about any Xenosaga 2 PAL release and I find no link after a Google search.

Not that I cared, from what I read it appears the quality gone much downhill in 2 and from the looks of things its unlikely to change.

drakron.png

GameSpot says nothing about any Xenosaga 2 PAL release and I find no link after a Google search.

Not that I cared, from what I read it appears the quality gone much downhill in 2 and from the looks of things its unlikely to change.

:rolleyes: I liked the second better than the first...

:p I liked the second better than the first...

Yeah, so far the second one seems pretty good to me as well. Granted, they made a few questionable decisions (no money or stores, WTF?) but I wouldn't say it's a step back from part one. The story is a little more focused than the first part, which can be a good for bad thing, depending on your tastes...

Yeah, so far the second one seems pretty good to me as well. Granted, they made a few questionable decisions (no money or stores, WTF?) but I wouldn't say it's a step back from part one. The story is a little more focused than the first part, which can be a good for bad thing, depending on your tastes...

I'd rather someone think it was crap if they were not going to be able to get it.. Just in case my source is wrong :">

478327[/snapback]