New Lightsaber Technique

Would't it be cool if you could turn off your lightsaber just as your opponent tries to block it, then turn it on again to bypass his defenses? I bet that would piss off a bunch of jedi. Off and on in the blink of an eye. How many people's last words would be ...."Hey, that's cheating!"

This trick was used in EU already.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

This trick was used in EU already.

Thinking back to the movies, which I confess I last saw a while ago, but when a Jedi turns the lightsaber on, doesn't it take a second or so to rev up? That would leave her defenseless, as in a non-cortosis weave universe, a lightsaber is the only way to block your opponent's lightsaber.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Would that really work?

If you move to strike your opponent and he moves in a similar fashion to block you, and then suddenly nothing is in the way, wouldn't the lightsaber of your opponent hit you first?

Chances are both of you will die.

I believe Corran Horn did this in a sparring match againt Mara Jade Skywalker and later on used it against the vong?  I could be mistaken.

I remember Kyp Durron cheating with his lightsaber in a similar way in a match against Luke Skywalker. But Skywalker foresaw the attack through the force and parried without much trouble.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Would't it be cool if you could turn off your lightsaber just as your opponent tries to block it, then turn it on again to bypass his defenses? I bet that would piss off a bunch of jedi. Off and on in the blink of an eye. How many people's last words would be ...."Hey, that's cheating!"

Except anybody you're fighting should anticipate it through the force.

I think it's "usefulness" is dictated by how common it is used (i.e. pretty much not at all).

Before idiots spammed by thread, I had this stated:

I think that an L-shaped lightsaber would be extremely useful, especially if you are in a duel with another Jedi who has only a single-bladed lightsaber. You can turn on only one blade like a single lightsaber. Then while you are fighting your enemy and the long blade of your lightsaber is at a roughly 90-degree angle from the floor, you can switch on the short other blade which will go through the enemy Jedi. If he knows you have an L-shaped lightsaber before he fights you, it would severely limit his moves to fight you; giving you an advantage. Or you can turn both blades on and try fighting like that? Maybe it can even double as a boomerang too because of it's shape and can be much more effective at throwing than single or standard double bladed lightsabers hence it can go faster, slashes more, and is easier to catch?

Problems with L-shaped sabre:

1) You are just as likely to turn on the second blade when it's pointed right at your own head. 8)

2) The opponent is attuned to the force and is likely to know all about when and how you are going to turn on your second blade, thus negating the strategy.

3) The throw and retrieval of the lightsabre has nothing to do with aerodynamics, a la the boomerang. There is no plane surface on the lightsabre that causes the lightsabre to "return to sender".

Finally, this thread has nothing to do with yours. Instead of threadcrapping, why don't you repost your poll?

Problems with L-shaped sabre:

1) You are just as likely to turn on the second blade when it's pointed right at your own head. 8)

2) The opponent is attuned to the force and is likely to know all about when and how you are going to turn on your second blade, thus negating the strategy.

3) The throw and retrieval of the lightsabre has nothing to do with aerodynamics, a la the boomerang. There is no plane surface on the lightsabre that causes the lightsabre to "return to sender".

Finally, this thread has nothing to do with yours. Instead of threadcrapping, why don't you repost your poll?

Very very good points. However-

1) And isn't a Jedi supposed to be one with his lightsaber? That is why non-force sensitives don't use lightsabers. And even if it isn't a Jedi user, how can you not know where the 2nd blade is facing when you're holding the lightsaber? The handle is L-shaped; one stick for each blade. Unless it's a lightsaber you never used before and you are unfamilliar with the handle design. Took any classes in fencing?

2) If a Jedi can succumb to a simple lightsaber strike (which is the eventual outcome of any lightsaber duel), how can he avoid being impaled by the activation of a blade already aimed at him? Striking aside, you can push a button that your finger is already on much faster than he can dodge the instantaneous speed of light. Or getting him into a position that makes it feasible.

3) Good point. :D Still, the first two is yet to be explained.

4) New point: You can always take it apart and have one long lightsaber in one hand and a short lightsaber in your off hand if needed.

An L-shaped lightsaber is the best idea. It can win any lightsaber duel probably before the duel even starts.

And finally,

A) I'm afraid a perfectly good topic that I make will get spammed the moment others see it.

B) It is related to this topic about the talk of impaling the foe by turning the lightsaber on.

Very very good points. However-

1) And isn't a Jedi supposed to be one with his lightsaber? That is why non-force sensitives don't use lightsabers. And even if it isn't a Jedi user, how can you not know where the 2nd blade is facing when you're holding the lightsaber? The handle is L-shaped; one stick for each blade. Unless it's a lightsaber you never used before and you are unfamilliar with the handle design. Took any classes in fencing?

No classes in fencing. Just kendo. Let's just say that hilts aren't that varied...

In the heat of battle, it's not always obvious where the second blade is pointing. How many machine guns do you see with barrels pointing at 90 degress from the main axis? 8)

2) If a Jedi can succumb to a simple lightsaber strike (which is the eventual outcome of any lightsaber duel), how can he avoid being impaled by the activation of a blade already aimed at him? Striking aside, you can push a button that your finger is already on much faster than he can dodge the instantaneous speed of light. Or getting him into a position that makes it feasible.

I hate to say this yet again, but a lightsabre blade is not made out of light. It's a plasma beam. It takes a moment for the superheated gas to be forced through the emitter in response to the force field that contains it. Which is why the whole deactivation/activation of the lightsabre in the heat of combat is simply not that good of an idea.

3) Good point.  :D  Still, the first two is yet to be explained.

Hopefully, I've taken a good stab at it above. <cue drum noise for awful pun>

4) New point: You can always take it apart and have one long lightsaber in one hand and a short lightsaber in your off hand if needed.

So, they don't share the same power source? Why would the sabre be any different than the sinuous sabre carried by Asajj Ventress where the two hilts were S-curved when combined together? For that matter, why would an L-shaped sabre have any inherent advantage over the offset-sabre handle as carried by Dooku (arguably one of the best sabre hilt ideas out there).

An L-shaped lightsaber is the best idea. It can win any lightsaber duel probably before the duel even starts.

You still haven't shown why it would be the best idea. Your proof is based on already proven wrong ideas as to how a lightsabre works. How could the duel be over before it's even started if the recipient of your "best idea ever" notices that the handle is already L-shaped? Don't you think that they would be suspicious of that huge assymetrical design and avoid being in the path of the beam if you managed to turn it on in combat?

And finally,

A) I'm afraid a perfectly good topic that I make will get spammed the moment others see it.

That's because many of your topics are starting to look like spam. No offense intended, but they're pretty off-the-wall.

B) It is related to this topic about the talk of impaling the foe by turning the lightsaber on.

I didn't think the original post was in regard to "impaling" the foe with an off/on strike. I thought the point was to turn off the sabre so that the foe's blade wouldn't stop your swing so that you could make a cutting strike. If you've ever looked at the lightsabre battles from a weapons point of view, you'll notice that there aren't any point parries. It's all designed to hit the blade at an angle to deflect a cutting strike. IIRC, there aren't any point thrusts shown at all in the movies.

P.S. It was explained to me by someone in the Corps that ex-Marine means you were kicked out. If you received an honourable discharge, you are to be referred to as a former Marine, not an ex-Marine. Thankfully, I didn't make that mistake to my dad's face (honourably discharged in 1967).

There was one thrust attack in the movie, made by Darth Maul when he killed Qui Gon.

Remember? Maul pushing Qui's lightsaber up then hit him on the nose with his lightsaber hilt then doing a half turn and thrusting his lightsaber backwards into Qui Gon.

Maybe not a thrusting attack in the traditional sense but it worked.