Xbox: Doom 3 question

1. Is Doom 3 any good?

Depends on what you want,IMO it gets boring a after a while :-

2. Does it have the atmosphere of the original?

No,they tried to make a horror ;)

Painkiller is closer to the originals,tho ;)

3. What's it like on Xbox?

No clue,only own the PC version :p

4. Any other comments.

Nice game,but Painkiller remains my favourite no-thinking shooter :p

Also note that the PC version just got an add-on :p

I can't get into FPS games on a PC. I'm the antithesis of the twitch gamer: I really need a joypad controller. I know you can get them for the PC but consoles seem ideal for the job. Besides, for some odd reason my wife loves watching us all play Doom on the widescreen TV.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Doom 3 does not have the same 'charm' as the originals did at all. It start out very good (and actually reminded me of a simplified version of System Shock), but from then it's all downhill. I mean, how many dark corners with a healthpack and a spawning monster behind your back can you endure? That game got so old, so fast.

I haven't tried the Xbox-version though, but I can only imagine that game with the Xbox-controller.. ugh.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I can't get into FPS games on a PC. I'm the antithesis of the twitch gamer: I really need a joypad controller. I know you can get them for the PC but consoles seem ideal for the job. Besides, for some odd reason my wife loves watching us all play Doom on the widescreen TV.

(w00t) Then perhaps Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict is a better choice :blink:

I can't get into FPS games on a PC. I'm the antithesis of the twitch gamer: I really need a joypad controller. I know you can get them for the PC but consoles seem ideal for the job.

I don't know. IMO nothing beats a mouse/keyboard combination when playing an FPS. The joypads are far too slow controllers to really effectively play an FPS and I'm much faster with the mouse/keyboard combination. After an hour of getting used to, most of my friends, who have never played a PC-FPS before, actually prefer the mouse/keyboard combination to the console/joypad controls, because they agree with me that you can react a lot faster and be more precise.

The Doom 3 X-Box version sucks worse than the PC version. Not only do you have crappier control, but you also have worse graphics in the parts you can actually see. After that, I really don't know what's left. I don't have an X-Box, but I played it on a 'friend's.'

Go for Painkiller, the X-Box version is supposed to come out sometime soon, and if you decide to go for the PC version, you can get the original, and the expansion for $40 USD at EB Games. It totals to relatively 40+ hours of gaming time, so it's definitely worth it. The atmoshphere was better in the expansion than the original too IMO. The Orphanage creeped me out so bad!

"The Doom 3 X-Box version sucks worse than the PC version. Not only do you have crappier control, but you also have worse graphics in the parts you can actually see."

A screenshot!

It had to be done.

For a second, I thought you'd pulled some marginally good looking screen shot out of the aether in defense of this game, I was all ready to flame you. :lol:

"I really feel sorry for those of you can't enjoy first person shooters. Some of the best gaming experiences I've had was playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark's multiplayer with my friends."

That's nice and all, but how does it apply to this thread? 'Cause, you know, it doesn't seem to apply at all.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Doom 3 isn't bad on the Xbox. It isn't great, but it isn't bad. It's just kind of boring.

The controls are fine, and the graphics are even better. This is not a game to be judged based on ten minutes of gameplay. I had absolutely no complaints about how the game handled - but I did get sick of walking into a room and just waiting for something to crawl through a vent or materialize behind me.

If you want to gripe about the Xbox version not looking as good as the PC version, fine, but don't say it's an unattractive game. It's the best looking game on the Xbox. There's virtually no competition - Riddick was close last year, but there wasn't nearly as much detail, and the loading times were abominable.

The original Doom games are excellent ports, and are almost worth the price of admission by themselves. I just hope you don't mind using the directional pad to change weapons instead of tapping keys. If you don't plan on playing old school regularly, though, a rental would be a better idea.

This is why I ask before I buy. Thanks for the feedback, and no I won't be splashing out on Xbox Doom3.

Cheers

MC

Try to find the PC version cheap somewhere. Now that the expansion is out, you can find the original cheap. I just bought it a few weeks ago for $19.99, new, at Micro Center. I figured why not? It

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Does the Xbox Doom 3 Collectors Edition use the original Doom engines for the ports?

Because I have a hard time seeing myself playing Doom under the original engine, these days, especially on a large screen, with JDoom and ZDoom being readily available.

Doom:

doomclassic.jpg

JDoom:

jdoom.jpgjdoom2.jpg