PROJECT NEW JERSEY forum

Camael

Can someone refresh my memory.  How soon before announcement of the actual title did the forums for TSL and NWN2 open?

K2 was announced sometime in mid May while the Obsidian forums opened in early Feb.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Ah that would explain why I was foggy about this. Based on your estimation, and my join date, I think I signed up right after or right about the time the announcement was made that Obsidian was developing KOTOR2.

So approximately 3 months after the forums opened, which means that if they stay true to this pattern, we'll be seeing forums (hopefully) approximately 2 or 3 months before the actual announcement of the title. Which still doesn't tell us much right now. :devil:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

...Obsidian is probably being just a little more cautious about opening this forum, perhaps more so since they have been re-evaluating the existence of these forums altogether. They might be concerned about any potential damage that could result to the delicate relationship between them and their publisher. It may even be that they are not going to open forums for unannounced projects anymore to avoid any potential negative consequences.

What if, for example, some highly educated, intelligent, clever forum member :o pieces together several bits of information they have been gathering from the New Jersey forum and determines beyond a reasonable doubt what the upcoming project is? Now, assume that info is rampantly disseminated to all of the news-starved RPG sites and general gaming sites, etc. etc. Even if Obsidian did not actually violate their agreement with the publisher, if they had never opened the New Jersey forum, the

As long as the publisher isn't Atari or Bioware, I'm satisfied. >_<

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

As long as the publisher isn't Atari or Bioware, I'm satisfied. :p

Reserving the judgment of Atari for another time ---but what's so bad about the idea of Bioware as a publisher? I'd think that they'd be successful as an independant, small-scale publisher.

Not that they are even publishers to begin with...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Well, I wasn't exactly true when making that comment, I'm not that rash. It's like this; if Bioware becomes the publisher, the game is either a hand-down or a product that needs something only Bioware can provide. That usually equals something license- or engine-related, which I'd prefer Obsidian do independetly. I strongly want their next game to be their own as much as possible.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Okay. That makes sense.

For what its worth, John Morgan did say that next game they're working on isn't Bio-related. Hopefully they already have a publisher lined up. Wouldn't want what happened to Troika happen here.

But for the sake of speculation: if it isn't Atari or Bioware publishing their next title, who will? Or who do you guys think would do Obsidian justice and let them take the time needed to finish the product? I guess EA is out of the question.. :thumbsup:

If Dreamcatcher was bigger, I'd like to see them handle the publishing of Obsidian products. They seem to be very patient with D.W. Bradley and his Dungeon Lords-project right now. It's slipped past several deadlines already, and every time Dreamcatcher sends out press releases saying "D.W. Bradley needed more time and he got it". I like that attitude, even though I want to play the game now.

What about Take 2? At least they don't seem to be afraid of publishing mature rated titles, and they're as big as they come.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My wild guess is that it will be Atari publishing - because they were shopping around for a developer to do BG3, and since they already have a good working relationship with Obsidian because of NWN2, and since Obsidian is already working on a similar D&D game with them already (and my bet us that they are probably impressed with Obsidian's work on NWN2 already), and because no one besides Bioware has more BG related experience, and because it would be a tough offer for a fledgling developer to turn down, in my opinion. I just think the stars are aligned for this to happen, and in my estimation, it will. Just a hunch

I wouldn't mind seeing Obsidian doing Baldur's Gate 3, actually. Perhaps they could make it interesting enough even for me to like it (I never liked Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...Obsidian is probably being just a little more cautious about opening this forum, perhaps more so since they have been re-evaluating the existence of these forums altogether.

True. But then with the other games, we have set up speculative fora within a month or so of first notifying posters of a new project in the works.

What if, for example, some highly educated, intelligent, clever forum member  >_<  pieces together several bits of information they have been gathering from the New Jersey forum and determines beyond a reasonable doubt what the upcoming project is?  Now, assume that info is rampantly disseminated to all of the news-starved RPG sites and general gaming sites, etc. etc.

It will happen anyway. It doesn't matter if there is a specific fora for the new game or not. -- if not, then those speculations will happen here.

On the other hand, what would be the benefit to Obsidian to open this forum?  Is there any real benefit to open a forum for that project now?

On the other hand, they really enjoy seeing the thoughts that people come up with on what the new game could be.

Oh come on now.  I have been a Doctor Who fan since The Unearthly Child.  I have various DW music themes as MP3 and have the Timelords MP3 techno remix.  Doctor Who RULEZ!

BWAAHAAAHAAAAA!

Geez, Visc. I didn't think you were that old.

The only good Dr Who music that is electronic is the Orbital version of the theme. <3

How about a Doctor Who CRPG!

YEAH!  That would so rock!  (tee hee)

I've never understood how anyone could enjoy that show. :p

You mean you never had the living **** scared out of you by the Daleks? Oh dear, you have lead a sheltered existance.