276 members have voted

1. 1. In which age group do you belong?

• 0-10
    • 11-18
    • 19-25
    • 25-30
    • 30-40
    • 40+

i dont personally know any girls that are actually interested in gaming.....all they do is powder their faces with make-up and brush their hair....

It depends what circles one moves in, one supposes. A majority of the women I know are to some lesser or greater extent into gaming, but they're academic types.

Lacus Skcus - 19-24

Chris said something a while ago:

"There are a few things we wanted to put in Torment that we decided not to do. Personally, I really wanted to dig deep into Fall-From-Grace's psychology and bring out the problems of a inherently sexual creature trying to find new ways of achieving intimacy outside of a purely sexual context, but discussing some of the contrasts between physical and psychological intimacy were pretty risky, so they were dropped ..."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/068/068682p1.html

I would have loved this but mature ideas limit your product's target market and that's not good if the game isn't guranteed to be a success (in sales) which can't be said about KotOR 2.

"There are a few things we wanted to put in Torment that we decided not to do. Personally, I really wanted to dig deep into Fall-From-Grace's psychology and bring out the problems of a inherently sexual creature trying to find new ways of achieving intimacy outside of a purely sexual context, but discussing some of the contrasts between physical and psychological intimacy were pretty risky, so they were dropped."

On an unrelated note to the topic of this thread....

That's a real pity. It's an interesting concept and you could see the very beginning of it's development in some of FFG's dialogue, but it never went anywhere. As it was, she was one of the most under-developed NPCs.

I wonder if MCA kept those dialogues around, or if they just ended up on the scrap heap?

On subject again, the 20-25 year olds are the first generation that grew up with video games already in existence. I can't speak for others in that group, but for me, that means I've been gaming since I was old enough to conceivably do so. It's in the blood by now.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Lacus Skcus - 19-24

"There are a few things we wanted to put in Torment that we decided not to do. Personally, I really wanted to dig deep into Fall-From-Grace's psychology and bring out the problems of a inherently sexual creature trying to find new ways of achieving intimacy outside of a purely sexual context, but discussing some of the contrasts between physical and psychological intimacy were pretty risky, so they were dropped ..."

:'(

I didn't know about that, and hadn't heard that quote...but not surprising I guess... :-

There's indeed stuff to hint at such an absence.

To quote DGRACE.DLG,

"Greetings. I'm the local puritan succubus. I'm also one of your potential party members... IF you'll have me." (StrRef:2850)

"Oh, I'll HAVE you, all right. Heh-heh. Later for you, tanar'ri." (StrRef:2851)

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

On subject again, the 20-25 year olds are the first generation that grew up with video games already in existence. I can't speak for others in that group, but for me, that means I've been gaming since I was old enough to conceivably do so. It's in the blood by now.

I wouldn't say that. I got to grow up with Pong, then later arcade games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. Then of course there were the original LED handheld games, heh.

Perhaps what you meant is the first generation to grow up with PCs?

I wouldn't say that. I got to grow up with Pong, then later arcade games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. Then of course there were the original LED handheld games, heh.

Perhaps what you meant is the first generation to grow up with PCs?

Indeed, and even "first generation to grow up with PCs" is a bit of a stretch, since the first mass market personal home computers (Sinclair, TI 99, Apple II, PET, TRS-80, etc.) which took the name computer were out well before (my own) 20-24 demographic had a chance to appreciate them in their heyday. Even at 24, my first computer, my TI 99/4A, came out the year I was born, after all, and by that time, it'd already been six years since the S-100 systems (Altair, IMSAI) brought computing to the consumer level. The only thing distinctive about the 18-24 demographic is that it was the first to grow up with computers largely running Microsoft operating systems, and that hardly seems distinctive. Now the 10-16 demographic has something really genuinely interesting to say about themselves, I think, in that they were the first to grow up with The Internet. While it's true that even in the early '80s, there were BBSs the geeks were playing around with, the 10-16 demographic were the first to grow up knowing the WWW to be a fact of life.

Indeed, and even "first generation to grow up with PCs" is a bit of a stretch, since the first mass market personal home computers (Sinclair, TI 99, Apple II, PET, TRS-80, etc.) which took the name computer were out well before (my own) 20-24 demographic had a chance to appreciate them in their heyday.  Even at 24, my first computer, my TI 99/4A, came out the year I was born, after all, and by that time, it'd already been six years since the S-100 systems (Altair, IMSAI) brought computing to the consumer level.  The only thing distinctive about the 18-24 demographic is that it was the first to grow up with computers largely running Microsoft operating systems, and that hardly seems distinctive.  Now the 10-16 demographic has something really genuinely interesting to say about themselves, I think, in that they were the first to grow up with The Internet.  While it's true that even in the early '80s, there were BBSs the geeks were playing around with, the 10-16 demographic were the first to grow up knowing the WWW to be a fact of life.

Phew! Not feeling so old after all now that a few more votes are in. For the main topic, I'm 32.

Now on to this nice discussion over when video games really kicked in. I remember when my Dad bought the family an Intellivision for Christmas. I was maybe 6-8 years old so that puts it around 25 years ago. Intellivision, Colecovision, and the ever popular Atari 2600 came out maybe only a year or two before we got ours so I figure that's a fairly accurate timeline on when widespread gaming in the home started happening. I'd say that at least in North America, anyone younger than 30 pretty much grew up in the video game world. The rest still remember what life was like before them.

As for the 'net, you're probably right with the 10-16 demographic having it around pretty much their entire lives. At the oldest they were like me when I got my first video game. I don't really recall much of a wait before the first mass produced home PCs and the advent of the Internet. I went from playing X-Com on my old 286, to hitting the BBSs and one of my all-time favorite games, Trade Wars, to going online for the first time in a little over 5 years. This of course may just be my alcohol (and other intoxicants) befuddled memory playing a few tricks on me. (let that be a lesson to the youngins, all things in moderation and you should have a happy, healthy, and mostly gap-free memory ;) ). There may not have been much online gaming yet but there was a whole lot of games out there nontheless for the 16-24 crowd.

Indeed, and even "first generation to grow up with PCs" is a bit of a stretch, since the first mass market personal home computers (Sinclair, TI 99, Apple II, PET, TRS-80, etc.) which took the name computer were out well before (my own) 20-24 demographic had a chance to appreciate them in their heyday.  Even at 24, my first computer, my TI 99/4A, came out the year I was born, after all, and by that time, it'd already been six years since the S-100 systems (Altair, IMSAI) brought computing to the consumer level.  The only thing distinctive about the 18-24 demographic is that it was the first to grow up with computers largely running Microsoft operating systems, and that hardly seems distinctive.  Now the 10-16 demographic has something really genuinely interesting to say about themselves, I think, in that they were the first to grow up with The Internet.  While it's true that even in the early '80s, there were BBSs the geeks were playing around with, the 10-16 demographic were the first to grow up knowing the WWW to be a fact of life.

As for the 'net, you're probably right with the 10-16 demographic having it around pretty much their entire lives. At the oldest they were like me when I got my first video game. I don't really recall much of a wait before the first mass produced home PCs and the advent of the Internet. I went from playing X-Com on my old 286, to hitting the BBSs and one of my all-time favorite games, Trade Wars, to going online for the first time in a little over 5 years. This of course may just be my alcohol (and other intoxicants) befuddled memory playing a few tricks on me. (let that be a lesson to the youngins, all things in moderation and you should have a happy, healthy, and mostly gap-free memory :( ). There may not have been much online gaming yet but there was a whole lot of games out there nontheless for the 16-24 crowd.

Yes it's funny looking back and seeing how fast it actually went .. Just thinking that in our parents time it was TV that was the big-new-thing .. and telephones in grandparents time! :)

I mean what will it be like in 10-20-30 years?? I can't even imagine ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Yes it's funny looking back and seeing how fast it actually went .. Just thinking that in our parents time it was TV that was the big-new-thing .. and telephones in grandparents time!  :geek:

I mean what will it be like in 10-20-30 years?? I can't even imagine ..

Being an ancient one for this group I can tell you that you shouldn't expect that there will be just one big-new-thing.

After all, there is life after Monday, isn't there?

There is a first big thing - which I guess for me would be TV, like you said - and then there is a whole series of evolutions and revolutions where you may be more or less at the forefront of the ongoing change.

The changes are not always technical and not always completely new and not always for the better and they just keep on keepin on.

You won't be bored. :D

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Even elderly women, like myself likes to play KOTOR II, although I feel a little alone in my age group being 39. But it's sure nice to see that girls have found their way to other games like this and not only plays Sims and the likes! :D

Even elderly women, like myself likes to play KOTOR II, although I feel a little alone in my age group being 39. But it's sure nice to see that girls have found their way to other games like this and not only plays Sims and the likes!  :D

Don't worry, you're still a productive, vibrant young member of society. Becoming a grouchy, useless, senile old fart is not something you'll have to worry about....until you turn 40. ^_^

manthing2.jpg

Even elderly women, like myself likes to play KOTOR II, although I feel a little alone in my age group being 39. But it's sure nice to see that girls have found their way to other games like this and not only plays Sims and the likes!  :D

While it's harder to guess at statistics for single player games, this age group among women I notice is not at all uncommon in MMORPGs these days. Over the last few years, it seems to me, the number of women in their 30s and 40s playing games online has skyrocketed from what it was when I started MMORPGing five years ago (at Asheron's Call's release).

Well it's not only that I like roleplaying games, I've been (and still am to a certain degree) a rabid Q2 CTF player, Q3, UT2k3 and other FPS games. Always have been the oldest female player in the clans I've played with, hard to guess eh? (w00t)

There is a first big thing - which I guess for me would be TV, like you said - and then there is a whole series of evolutions and revolutions where you may be more or less at the forefront of the ongoing change.

The changes are not always technical and not always completely new and not always for the better and they just keep on keepin on.

You won't be bored.  :D

well it's the series of evolutions and revolutions I was thinking about! just in my time it seems to go fast .. from bulky big computers and TVs to flatscreens and very hightech machinery all around .. such as miniature mobilephones, laptops and the likes ..

and if I think it's going fast now, what won't I think in the next 20 years of my life!

Fortune favors the bald.

my friends mother plays the sims :rolleyes:

I'll get there in a few years...

Immature 31 yrs old girl here, (more than) full time job and moderating two Kotor modding forums :)

I hope such things will encourage developers to make games more mature.

More complicated stories. Better love settings etc.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom