Old forum members are the best.

We made a quite nice forum.

Some new guys tried to spoil that, but I think they have failed.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Old forum members are the best.

We made a quite nice forum.

Some new guys tried to spoil that, but I think they have failed.

Yeah.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I think the term "old" is about members who were lurking or had already joinned this forum before the launch of the game.

Guest Damar Stiehl

See this is what boggles my mind.

What's the point of going to a game's forums before the game is released? What's there to talk about anyway? "oooo, it's going to be, like, totally awesome" - "yeah, it'll be, like, totally grooveh, man". Bah... in Soviet Russia, the dead horse beats YOU...

I've never hung around forums of games I'm no longer playing, either. Makes me wonder about people that do.

What's the point of going to a game's forums before the game is released? What's there to talk about anyway? "oooo, it's going to be, like, totally awesome" - "yeah, it'll be, like, totally grooveh, man". Bah... in Soviet Russia, the dead horse beats YOU...

I've never hung around forums of games I'm no longer playing, either. Makes me wonder about people that do.

Most of us fanboys and groupies here who joined pre-release are fans of the developers and not of the SW or NWN franchises. Although there is quite a bit of an overlap.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Obsidian is made up of mostly old Black Isle employees, and is run by the old head of Black Isle. Black Isle had a good reputation for listening to fans and implementing some fan ideas they feel would make the game better. So most of us veterans came here after Black Isle died to show our support. So far they haven't disappointed except for the complete lack of board presence after the game was released and the NWN2 forums got moved. But Feargus is making up for that now and all is forgiven :ermm:

So anyway, the point of going to a game's forums before its released is to discuss the possibilities and hopefully give the devs some ideas.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Guest Damar Stiehl

How nice.

I just realized that this community reminds me a lot of Freedom Force community, I wonder if it'll develop the same way. We'll just have to wait and see.

How nice.

I just realized that this community reminds me a lot of Freedom Force community, I wonder if it'll develop the same way. We'll just have  to wait and see.

Why? What happened there?

reason kotor2 won awards? there were very few crpgs last year... and if folks think that kotor2 were buggy, then consider the competition. vampire:bloodlines? also, in spite of all the complaints, kotor2 was a very good game... new coke v. classic.

did not realize that magazine ads had tripled in cost over the last few years... but we did know that they were expensive. is a reason why these boards is a very nice alternative (though hardly a replacement,) for magazine ads.

as to fergie's diplomacy...

we find that observation to be somewhat ironic given his recent threats of board closure... but we does admit that fergie is one of obsidian's few recognizable voices that actually gots some personality when he posts... which is kinda odd considering the number of writers obsidian gots.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Guest Damar Stiehl
Why? What happened there?

Well, it started with fervent fanboism. The developers (Irrational Games), who had a lot of message board presence, started to openly play favourites with the biggest bootlickers, making them official board moderators. The moderators proceeded to install a whole Constitution's worth of rules, which made a whole lot of things bannable offences. You can't openly criticize Irrational or Freedom Force. You can get banned or suspended for posting anything remotely naughty, unless you're a moderator's or a developer's favourite. You can get banned for infringing a rule that doesn't yet exist. You can get banned for reporting a post by a moderator's or a developer's favourite.

Etc, etc. Fun stuff. That's why I don't trust unpaid moderators OR developers who maintain high message board presence.

reason kotor2 won awards?  there were very few crpgs last year... and if folks think that kotor2 were buggy, then consider the competition.  vampire:bloodlines?  also, in spite of all the complaints, kotor2 was a very good game... new coke v. classic.

Yes, very few CRPGs but still a good year IMO. I agree kotor2 was a very good game - it met my high expectations from kotor1. But also Vampire: Bloodlines was an absolutely amazing game - for me up there with the greats.

One feature of both games was that for me they both linger after I've finished them, so I keep thinking back to them. In otherwords, whether through atmosphere, characters, story or whatever they made an impression. Only the best CRPGs do that - the Fallouts, the System Shocks, a few others.

Perhaps the other good spell for CRPGs I remember recently was when NWN and Morrowind came out fairly close to each other IIRC. But ultimately, I see both those two games as bland and soulless if technically very impressive.

On the issue of bugs and playability, it may have helped that I bought a new computer late last year. But I had very few problems with either Kotor2 or Vampire - at least none that a quite visit to the internet could not solve.

Many of us joined when this was still "Project X".

Wasn't it named project pennsylvania?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Many of us joined when this was still "Project X".

Wasn't it named project pennsylvania?

I thought Project X was Delaware, later Kotor2. Pennsylvania was NWN2 :)

Whats the third state, somebody over there has to know ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not sure PC game reviewers really encounter bugs much. All sorts of reviews for The Sims 2: University expansion pack talk about how it introduced bugs into a non-buggy game. Well, Sims 2 had and still has huge, game-stopping bugs that took forever for Maxis and EA to acknowledge or patch, and most of the other bugs they didn't even touch, even if they claimed they did. The community has had to fix them and find work-arounds. Temple of Elemental Evil got almost across the board very good reviews, and it was an unplayable mess. I've heard atrocious things about Vampire from every standpoint, from the technical aspects to the story to the gameplay. I wouldn't know personally, since I wouldn't touch anything by Troika with a 10-foot pole. Not that that matters any longer :). And what was the big deal about Fable? You could be good or evil. Ooh, what a huge innovation.

Anyway, most reviewers don't finish games before handing in their reviews. They simply don't have the time.

I think Mr. Urquhuart's reply was quite civil and honest. I can see why most developers don't keep in such close touch with their communities if they get flamed for it so much. Neither insults nor adoration are real communication. I'm still waiting for the patch to get further into TSL myself :(.

...but we does admit that fergie is one of obsidian's few recognizable voices that actually gots some personality when he posts... which is kinda odd considering the number of writers obsidian gots.

Would you prefer to see the writers posting as Kreia calling everyone "fools and imbeciles?" :(

...but we does admit that fergie is one of obsidian's few recognizable voices that actually gots some personality when he posts... which is kinda odd considering the number of writers obsidian gots.

Would you prefer to see the writers posting as Kreia calling everyone "fools and imbeciles?" :geek:

as 'posed to what we get now? yeah... yeah, we would prefer that. josh could be... how shall we say... "prickly" mayhap? nevertheless, folks often read the bis/interplay boards just to get josh's feedback.

"I think Mr. Urquhuart's reply was quite civil and honest."

yup... his response in THIS thread seemed civil and honest... but for some folks to suggest that he should gets a UN negotiator job 'cause of his diplomacy is... laughable. threaten board closure 'cause of a fit of pique is sorta the equivalent of Gunboat Diplomacy. were hardly completely civil or honest.

"I can see why most developers don't keep in such close touch with their communities if they get flamed for it so much. Neither insults nor adoration are real communication. "

personally, we cannot see why developers would fail to keep in touch with fans. is just the hypersensitive folks that would be discouraged. given how expensive print ads is, wasting an opportunity/avenue like these boards, a resource with goodwill cultivated and paid for in large part by Black Isle and Interplay, would be the height of folly.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

gunboat diplomacy?

Lighten up. We're on an internet forum, about a game...... We can justifiably get a little more worked up about the thing we're actually purchasing, but this is a free, partly promotional service, these message boards....

where we ever said that fergie not got a right to close the boards on a whim or for any cause he could imagine or concoct? Is obsidian boards and we fully recognize that they can do as they wish with