Continuity kills KOTOR

Trilogies are hard to get right, but have an epic scale that suits the Star Wars universe.  I'd rather Obsidian kept getting it three-quarters right than abandon the attempt altogether.

I can't agree here. As much as I love trilogies, they are just not suited for open-ended stories. The two concepts don't mix well.

I loved a lot of what was going on in KOTOR 2, but none of it had anything to do with Revan, Bastilla & Co. Having HK-47 and T3 around was cool - but let's be honest: nobody would notice if they were replaced by HK-63 and B4, a hundred years later. :o

Apart from all that: Revan was definitely not interesting enough to build a multi-parted saga around him/her.

Was, perhaps, but TSL made sure that Revan still had a part to play (or at least that's what I felt like). Now I'm gonna be really disappointed if Revan doesn't play a role in the next game, or show up as a generic corpse somewhere.

Furthermore, as for the gender/alignment choice, I'd rather have Obisidan just say how the last game ended. Even if I see Revan as a LS male, I wouldn't have complained if they said Revan was a DS female. I can deal with it, and the disappointment of having the story negate my ending would be less than the disappointment I experienced here, that the feeling of accomplishment I had from KotOR was utterly ruined by KotOR2 and that I was convinced I'd never hear from Revan again (and I'm not talking about another game with Revan either, a happily ever after would've been fine, but instead I got some kind of cliffhanger where Revan will basically be screwed no matter what).

I would prefer that they had made KOTOR 2 to have no ties to first game.

But since they ignored me anyways, now I want KOTOR 3 to be around Revan and the exile (there is a possibility that I'm going to be ignored again, but I have to keep my hopes high).

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

How long before the movies is KOTOR again?

I thought it was a couple of milennia... :thumbsup:

Just speculating. I don't know anything about the Expanded Universe, so I don't know how much of that time is already 'explained'. Maybe LucasArts is thinking really long term. But if I were them, I'd want to keep lots of virgin territory there, for future development.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

[4000 years I think.

Well, then setting 400 years aside for KOTOR (and keeping a little bit closer to the added last alternative offered in my second post), should keep the Star Wars universe in operable and expandable condition. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also, as SteveThaiBinh pointed out: The galaxy is a BIIIG place.

Was, perhaps, but TSL made sure that Revan still had a part to play (or at least that's what I felt like). Now I'm gonna be really disappointed if Revan doesn't play a role in the next game, or show up as a generic corpse somewhere.

You are right, the harm is probably done now. :(

But if they'd put me in charge of KOTOR Volume 2, Part 1, I would break with direct continuity :lol:

You are right, the harm is probably done now.  :(

But if they'd put me in charge of KOTOR Volume 2, Part 1, I would break with direct continuity  :(

I'd have a big phone in poll one of those 50p per vote jobs to determine the identity of Revan for the next game. :lol:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

When I first finished TSL I wanted KOTOR III to finish the story but as time has passed I am looking more towards the next set of stories that have nothing to do with Revan or the exile. I think that KOTOR III should be set some 100+ years in the future of TSL. That way, as the original poster stated, it would give the writers and developers more freedom when it comes to creating KOTOR III. This way they wouldn't have to worry about what the exile or Revan did in the past two games nor would they have to worry about what the outcome of the past two games were. I know there are still a lot of people who want KOTOR III to wrap up what was left open ended in TSL but I think that would only serve to hinder the developement of the game and possibly cause more peroblems than what we had in TSL when it came to dealing with just Revans past game expliots.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I think that a century is a little drastic. They could do it with a decade or two, and still be able to get some wrapping up done, don't you think?

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

i'll admit i would like to see the Revan story wrapped. i was hoping kotor 2 would do that. but more i played tsl more intrigued i became. and more thought tsl remind of 5. not much happening and the galaxy in despair. i think obisidian did a great job. It set Revan the excile to either heroes or villians. and you get to choose. i hate open ending. but i think if they do right it kotor 3 could one greatest story ever told. one that you choose their destiny. yes i disappointed in the ending. but in a way i can see why they did it that way. sides timetable. sorry if this didn't make sense but i have alot thoughts bout the series were it is were it could go. as for kotor 3 be set 100yrs in the future it could be possible. but ending suggests to me that the sript for 3 may be already written. just my opinion.

Only Obsidian knows where this story is going to go... (Not an insult, but my way of persuading others to let them do the third. YOU BETTER DO IT!) :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

How long before the movies is KOTOR again?

I thought it was a couple of milennia... :)

Just speculating. I don't know anything about the Expanded Universe, so I don't know how much of that time is already 'explained'. Maybe LucasArts is thinking really long term. But if I were them, I'd want to keep lots of virgin territory there, for future development.

Kotor takes place roughly 4000 years before ANH.

Now, keep in mind: Darth Bane's lineage has to be set up 2000 BBY.

This leaves 2000 years between the two, more or less. I say, get this trilogy done, then move on to another game hundreds of years after, like: Nihilus' Revenge :shifty:

Just kidding bout the Revenge... Or am I? :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Continuity isn't a real issue, they should just do whatever and let whiners whine because that whats they do best

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Maybe the best for the next Kotor would be, that the story from 1 & 2 isnt

a multiple choice like question and answer game. The story had to be written and

locked, so that it can explain what exactly had happens in the games before.

Maybe some people would be pissed off of this( :ph34r: whose knows :ph34r: ), but its the

only way to give some serious explanaitons, what had happen in the galaxy, to the

rakhshasas, revan, the exile, the true sith empire, your folks,...

But than at the end of the third game, there can be at last 2 or 3 (one for the grey) endings,

but at last still one had a small LA sign in the bottom right corner which tells, that that is the

official ending which is supported by LA for the expanded universese or/and other "kotor" games.

Well I for one think Obsidian did a great job with KOTOR II and tieing it in. Yes, KOTOR is my favorite game of all time and KOTOR II is like #4 or 5. But Kriea in your party does alot of KOTOR II, seeing as how she was his former trainer. She knew Revan the person, not Revan the Darklord and gives you insight into him.

I also love the dialogue options with Atton in the begining of the game. That way the NPCs know what Revan did. Also The Exile wouldn't be The Exile if he didn't serve under Revan in the Wars and walk away from the Force.

I think that they should have put this message before Atton's q's:

<<Attention Players! Many of you will skip over this part thinking that it holds no relevance to the game. The following options will determine what Revan is/did. Don't ignore them and complain about the game later!>>

That would have sorted a lot out, I think. :)

Geekified Star Wars Geek

to put the story 100 years after TSL is no more possible, it will be like to have ROTJ after the emperor died from age, at this point will completely ruin the story.

to find the mummies of Revan and Exile will be very ehm sad and will make the first 2 games pointless.

Due to the end of TSL i hope we will start KOTOR3 with the Exile on the Ebon Hawk that begin to search for Revan, and there that gaming problems can start.

In my opinion both Revan and the Exile should be playable, to have them just as cameo npcs will probably weaken all the story who will not be anymore the story of Revan but of the "sith invasion", also the player have never used Revan when he was Revan and this is a lack atm...

To have both Revan and Exile playable can give bit problems like to have not real main charater (IMO very bad) and/or to split the game in 2 (IMO very bad too).

I don't think the beginning with LS/DS Revan/Exile will be a problem as probably both char where "normalized" to a sort of neutral force users, so in this "sector" the development of the story should be quite linear.

I'm very curious to see what Obsidian will do and if they will be able to keep the same level of TSL.

Mummies? Now that's just SICK! Revan... WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I just want to see some closure for LS and DS Males (both Exile and Revan, at the same time, I suppose). And, if LS Male Revan dies, then it had better be defending Bastila!!! (sorry, it's an impulse, I guess.)

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Mummies? Now that's just SICK! Revan... WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I just want to see some closure for LS and DS Males (both Exile and Revan, at the same time, I suppose). And, if LS Male Revan dies, then it had better be defending Bastila!!! (sorry, it's an impulse, I guess.)

Is exactly what i was saying, will be pointless and sad to have an ambientation not close to TSL and not with the same main characters, the story started with a PC Revan and in my opion should be a PC Revan to close it. (with the Exile of course eheh :))

DS Revan/Exile:

The Exile bows to Revan, and they set out to annialate (sp?) the Jedi once and for all.

LS Male Revan/Exile:

Big huge party reminesent of Kotor I's ending, with ALL of the NPC's gathered together, and the screen blanking out with Revan kissing Bastila, a symbol of temperary peace in the Republic.

Now THAT would be an awesome ending...

Geekified Star Wars Geek