Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jefferson and NWN2

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Xiw

Xiw

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts
Fine. If no one else will step up to the plate...

...Fergus buys fallout and apparently Jefferson assets from Iply.
...Obsidian is making NWN2 giving them access to the D&D license.
JE Sawyer stated in the past that Jefferson would never be published as is was meant to be because of the WotC stance against mature content in licensed products.
JE Sawyer also stated (if I recall correctly) that the WotC policy also seemed to be enforce in a rather arbitrary manner mostly in line with who they wanted to keep do business with.
WotC seems to be in good working relationship with Bioware and therefore Obsidian.

So, even if NWN 2 isn't Jefferson, is there a possibility that we could see it in an expansion?

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
ROFL

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts
am i the only one that didnt understand the path of logic the original poster was using and what he was trying to get at? :devil:

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5007 posts
eh .. I think he's asking if NWN2 is related to BG3 or will be in an expansion!

to which I would reply .. "no"

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts
Roffle

ramza

ramza

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1418 posts
Even though this is a Jefferson related thread and should be taken seriously, I can't prevent myself from "ROFL-ing"...

Green Lantern

Green Lantern

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts
A more relevant question might be: Is Obsidian the developer of the BG3 game announced by Atari? Interesting question now that Troika appears to be out of the picture...

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
I hate to say it... but that actually made sense to me :lol:

Laozi

Laozi

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts

I hate to say it... but that actually made sense to me :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya I would hate to say that too :(

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
:lol:

I blame it on lack of sleep :(

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts
It's possible they could use the elements of NwN to make a focused single player game which could be BG III.
Because they dont appear as yet to have anything on the cards other than NwN II and thats pretty unusual.

Most likely explanation, they are working on something for a next gen console. It's easier to get state secrets than to find that stuff out. Even my wifes brother will only say yes and leave it at that.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
NWN2 might contain some element of ideas hatched during the pre-production of Jefferson but I doubt itll be more than that.

Nick_i_am

Nick_i_am

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2494 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
ROFL

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts
I couldnít see it happening. Jefferson was Joshís project. Why would any of the Obsidian team want to take up a project that was the brainchild of an designer that isnít employed at Obsidian? Iím sure Chris or whoever is the lead designer of NWN2 (sorry to whomever, that I donít know the answer >_< ) would want to create their own game, not use a storyline developed by Josh.

Kaftan might have the best answer. We might see some similar elements or ideas that hatched from Jefferson, but thatís about it.

Camael

Camael

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 111 posts
Since when did Feargus buy the Jefferson assets? I think he just picked up some of the textures. I believe Jefferson is still safely stored away on a dark and dusty server somewhere - I think in the same place they stored the Ark in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5316 posts
No.

Xiw

Xiw

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts
Come on, now. ROFL if you must but, after the IPLY disaster, the only way the Black Hound could've been made is if several unlikely conditions and circumstances occurred. I'm not talking about BG3 or the Jefferson Engine, I'm just talking about the Black Hound story.
1) Someone would have to buy the design docs from IPLY. This would have the whole Back Hound story, areas defined, NCPs, etc.
Fergus bought assets from IPLY last summer.
Check.
2) These design docs of course would be worthless unless whoever purchased them had a license to make a D&D Forgotten Realms PC game.
Obsidian is making NWN2.
Check.
3) Whoever had both of the above would need a reason or have a particular motivation to make the game.
The design for the game is complete so that would save the time and resources of creating a new one. Most of these guys worked on that design doc, so they know the material and maybe have a bit of professional pride tied up in it. They had the previous attempt to make the game yanked out from underneath them by a corp. bureaucracy. Now they are in control.
Check.

Now, I'm not saying that it is even remotely likely that Obsidian will make The Black Hound. There are probably 10 times more reasons not to make it then to make it. All I'm saying is that a series of event needed to take place in order for it to even be possible, and it seems that those events may have happened. It's just curious is all.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts
...Josh would 'ave an aneurysm... ;)

...I's'd pay good cash ta see it happen... :-

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Zenslinger

Zenslinger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts
Some art assets might get recycled to save some time, if they're technicologically compatible (something I have no idea about.) But the story? Why use it? What could be more awkward?

Some ideas / art pieces / etc.? Not impossible.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4618 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

1)  Someone would have to buy the design docs from IPLY.  This would have the whole Back Hound story, areas defined, NCPs, etc. 
Fergus bought assets from IPLY last summer.
Check.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uncheck it or something. I thought feargus only bought fallout art from iply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users