ATI video cards with KotOR2

Kurotowa is correct. The DLLs are named differently in the ME/98 package -- I wasn't being precise enough earlier.

Of course, you could just unpack all of them into the Kotor 2 directory. However, 4.11 doesn't seem to be particularly stable on my 9800 Pro, so it might not be such a big deal.

Kurotowa is correct. The DLLs are named differently in the ME/98 package -- I wasn't being precise enough earlier.

Of course, you could just unpack all of them into the Kotor 2 directory.  However, 4.11 doesn't seem to be particularly stable on my 9800 Pro, so it might not be such a big deal.

Hmm. Well, in that case, I'll kick back for a week and see if the first patch helps me. Not fun having to keep dodging spoilers, but I've reached the resignation stage.

Thanks everyone.

Of course, you could just unpack all of them into the Kotor 2 directory.  However, 4.11 doesn't seem to be particularly stable on my 9800 Pro, so it might not be such a big deal.

4.11 is no good on your 9800 Pro? It actually worked particularly well with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (made by ATI). Are you on Windows XP?

Crazy how people with the same hardware can have such different experiences. That's what you get when you're using a platform with so many different companies making hardware and software. That's it, I'm just going to out and get a Mac :( . Macs are awesome........for me to poop on. (Just kidding...not intending to ignite any Mac people out there)

Nah, I'm keeping my Commodore 128. It can still run Karateka.....and Geos. Anyone remember Geos? Oh man....I'm old. :">

Hi everyone I'm encountering a crash, immediatly after the yellow scrolling text movie. It attempts to load the level, I can see a room (****pit?) and what looks like the top of of T3-M4's head. Sound keeps playing, but I can't look around or anything or move because it instantly freezes and crashes to desktop with the typical "send don't send" windows error message. My stats are

Athlon 1.30ghz

352 ram

Radeon 7500

(4.11 drivers, I already tried that route)

I know I'm out of date, but it ran KOTOR 1 on mid- high settings just fine. Anyhow please pleeeaaase help me I need to play this game.

Hi everyone I'm encountering a crash, immediatly after the yellow scrolling text movie. It  attempts to load the level, I can see a room (****pit?) and what looks like the top of of T3-M4's head.  Sound keeps playing, but I can't look around or anything or move because it instantly freezes and crashes to desktop with the typical "send don't send" windows error message. My stats are

Athlon 1.30ghz

352 ram

Radeon 7500

(4.11 drivers, I already tried that route)

I know I'm out of date, but it ran KOTOR 1 on mid- high settings just fine. Anyhow please pleeeaaase help me I need to play this game.

Curious? Was that 7500 Even on the supported list? I know you ran the first one find, but this one needs your card to support ogl 1.4

I have 7500 w/ the same problem I also have a 2.7 ghz Celeron, 512 ram. KOTOR 1 also needed 1.4 Ogl but ran fine so I don't know why that would be a problem now.

Hmmm... I think Kotor1 required 1.3 OGL

Ah. No, KotOR1 package said it's required 1.4 OGL.

That's why I'm try too hard to find way to solve these this BSoD Problem Whether My Graphic card is officially support or not, because

I CAN PLAY KOTORI VERY DAMN HORRIBLY FINE!!!!

I don't know if it's supported or not, but it's a 64mb card and all the game requires is a 32 mb card. I dunno I guess I just assumed that with the same engine, it'd support the same cards.

Well, it's not just the memory, but also the gpu must support ogl 1.4..

And something else, it's NOT the same engine.... the engine is based on the kotor1 engine, but it's not the same... They made some changes, and sorry mate, but the 7500 series is not supported....

4.11 is no good on your 9800 Pro?  It actually worked particularly well with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (made by ATI).  Are you on Windows XP? 

No, 98. I was mostly posting for Kurotowa's benefit, since we seem to be in the same boat.

I guess it's about time XP did something better than 98.

I need help.:p

Just bought KoTOR2 and the game keeps hanging itself after the opening movie screen going into the first game scene. I ran a hardware scan and it failed in two areas. Under Video it requires a 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatable PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting Capablity. Under OpenGL I need a Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4 drivers.

My current hardware is a 64 MB Moblity Radeon 7500C. My current driver version is 6.14.10.6476. KOTOR1 worked fine.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I can't find a similar thread.

okey, this topic has been talked about before, KOTOR 2 F***S up every 5 time I try to switch level\sector\zone (whatever you want to call it). And i mailed my problem to Lucas arts support and they said it was because i didn't meet the standards, but KOTOR worked very very smooth. And they also said that my Radeon 9800 is working as second and is inactive, Now i have been told that i can switch it to primary in BIOS, but i dont now where.

So my questions are:

1.How can i stop KOTOR 2 from f***ing up?

2.And how can i sett my radeon 9800 as active\primary

oh, i might as well post the reply that i got from LA so that you understand what i mean, my english not good :-"

this is the reply i got:

"Your

dxdiag reflects that you may have an on-board Video chipset and the ATI Radeon

9800 is showing as (Secondary) inactive.

This however can be fixed by disabling the on-board through the BIOS and

updating the ATI Drivers. Once that is corrected you need to also take care of

the inactive Sound device entries as well.

------------------------------------

Inactive Display Entries in Registry

------------------------------------

Card name:

Card name: RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary

Driver: ATI2DRAG.DRV

----------------------------------

Inactive Sound Entries in Registry

----------------------------------

Card name: Creative SB Live! Wave Device

Driver: ctmm16.drv

Card name: Rockwell.DeviceDesc

Driver: serwvdrv.drv"

sure sure, it took up a lot of space, BUT PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT :)

I need help.:thumbsup:

Just bought KoTOR2 and the game keeps hanging itself after the opening movie screen going into the first game scene. I ran a hardware scan and it failed in two areas. Under Video it requires a 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatable PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting Capablity. Under OpenGL I need a Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4 drivers.

My current hardware is a 64 MB Moblity Radeon 7500C. My current driver version is 6.14.10.6476. KOTOR1 worked fine.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I can't find a similar thread.

Same thing happened to me, and yes the question has been answered. I'm also a 7500, and have an identical problem. What it is is that the drivers for the 7500 don't support OGL 1.4, they only run up to 1.3. IF we're lucky Obsidian will add backwards compatibility for the 7500, but it's not likely.

White-Devil, switching to the 9800 might not clear up the problem. My 9800 crashes a lot too.

Who set up your system? You apparently have a really good vidcard but aren't using it.

Anyway, you access the BIOS on startup before you boot into Windows. The starting screen will tell you what key to press to bring it up. Remember to switch your video cable to the 9800 card, not the motherboard, since you won't see anything at all once you turn the on-board video.

Hey folks I've been looking around at the forums and many thanks to Softnerd who posted the solution to the ATI problem. Specifically whenever you go anywhere outdoors (Dantooine most especially in the Khoonda planes and around the administration building) the game turns into a slideshow and your character spins in circles while teleporting to random locations around the map. This problem occurs only when facing the Administration building on that playfield so that if you are patient and lucky you can run backwards into the doors. It sucked a lot. The solution is as he posted. DOwnload the 4.11 xp drivers here. Then the rest of the instructions are as he posted

(softnerd @ Feb 24 2005, 11:44 PM)

KOTOR2 was QA tested using the Catalyst 4.11 drivers for ATI Radeon cards.  Newer and older versions of the drivers cause problems.  Since it

Umm........a new cat drives are out 5.3 with suport for opgl 2. I have downloded but didn't install is yet.

Anyone know if it makes kotor II work with ati cards?

It won't magicly make unsupported cards work, but it might fix a bit of issues... BUT, look at the release notes.... a hole lot of known issues involving kotor2 ; ;

why don't you ATI guys try the new ATI 5.2 drivers?

http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html

The new drivers still have the same problems with K1 that all drivers since 4.12 have had (lag in open areas). Don't have K2 yet, but that would suggest that not much has changed in the new driver with regard to the KoTOR engine :thumbsup:

I tried rolling back to the 4.11 drivers, and/or putting just the openGL dll in the game file and got crashes every five minutes. No warning, no save game. Upgraded to the new drivers and on Dantooine, the characters try to run, then just spin in place. Ugh. About all I could do to unstick them was change and save the graphics options (didn't seem to matter which one) and then continue until the next time.

The ONLY thing that worked for me with Radeon 9600XT was adding this line to the Kotor2.ini file in the Graphics Options:

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

I got onto Dantooine and it's beautiful. Grass, shadows, et al. Sigh of relief.

Both video cards are awesome. My daughter has a GForce and is as loyal to it as I am to my Rad. She has problems with fog on Malachor, whereas I had none, so there are trade-offs for both. But neither of us is going to buy a different card for the sake of one game.

Ive been playing for quite a while with the 4.11s and 4.12s and whilst performance is mostly okay it does struggle quite badly at times. The 4.11s had problems getting Frame Buffer Effects to work properly but the 4.12s were fine for that. The Disable Vertex Buffers trick did nothing for me. Also with both the 4.11s and 4.12s Kotor2 will CTD every hour or so at random.

Then I saw the game running on my brothers PC - his system is a Xp2400 like mine but his 9700pro has packed up and he's using my old Geforce 4ti 4200 64mb and it was playing this game smooth as silk compared to my 9700.

Crap I thought (literally) and did some searching and came across the 4.2 opengl driver tweak and tried it - just putting the standard 4.2 atioglxx.dll into my SWkotor2 folder and it makes a helluva differance and after 2 hours playing - no crashes yet.

I think the best thing Obsidian can do is provide downloads for several versions of the atioglxx.dll file that ppl can download and stick in the swkotor2 folder. The 4.2 4.11 and 5.2 should cover it.

All my other OpenGL games play fine and stable - Call of Duty, Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick and Half-Life 1 based mods like Day of Defeat. I know ATI's OpenGL driver isnt great but the level of problems ppl are getting is down to the engine this game uses and the fact that its mainly coded for Xbox and nvidia graphics chips.