Best RPG of the following?

roshan

Which of the following is your favorite?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is your favorite?

• Fallout
    • Fallout 2
    • Baldurs Gate
    • Planescape Torment
    • Icewind Dale w/ HOW and TOTL
    • Baldurs gate 2 w/ TOB
    • Arcanum
    • Icewind Dale 2
    • Neverwinter Nights w/ SOU and HOTU
    • Temple of Elemental Evil

Can't say any of the above make my top ten list even...  But I am more fond of Final Fantasy when it comes to single player "RP", if I believed that such a concept as single player RP actually existed.

Hahaha, FF a RP... good one....oh, you're serious :p

Regarding rpgs, BG2 is probably my favourite "old" RPG and Vampire Bloodlines the best "new" RPG.

I had to vote Planescape based on the fact I sadly haven't played any of the above (though I'm about to crack into Baldur's Gate, and I'm trying to allocate many of that list), but it sounds more similar to the games I've liked the most in the past. (It's very text heavy and well written no? ) :thumbsup:

My personal choice based on the ones I HAVE played, is Bloodlines...the music was so good in that game, listening to the licensed tracks right now. Story and most everything else was amazing as well.

If we're talking straight from the shelves (no fan made mods)...

then PS:Torment :cool:

If anything goes....

then NWN + SoU +HotU (+ paladin trilogy by Rick Burton) :thumbsup:

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

FO 2 has the best overall RP'ing component of them all. That, S.P.E.C.I.A.L., and an excellent combat system make it my personal number one, even though there are next to no NPC interactions at all.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Arcanum also made the list, but I'm not objecting to that.

But IWD, NWN and ToEE make the list while the Ultima series, Arx Fatalis, Gothic, KOTOR, Wizardry, Might and Magic, Bards Tale, Nethack, System Shock, Deus Ex, Zork, Starflight, Krondor, Elder Scrolls, Dungeon Master, Wasteland, Eye of the Beholder, and many, many other important RPGs are missing from the list.

Fallout and IWD actually get two entires on the list.

If he was really desperate to include something by Troika, I don't know WHY he didn't place Bloodlines on the list.  :)

Probably because it's still in the Beta stages and only finished games made it into the list. Or something.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Ultima series, Arx Fatalis, Gothic, KOTOR, Wizardry, Might and Magic, Bards Tale, Nethack, System Shock, Deus Ex, Zork, Starflight, Krondor, Elder Scrolls, Dungeon Master, Wasteland, Eye of the Beholder, and many, many other important RPGs are missing from the list."

More than a few of these games you mention suck 10x worse than TOEE. I'm glad he ddn't include them. Roshan is kinda youngish so he probably didn't play some of the older great games like the Ultima series as well.

And, there is no way what so ever - that EOTB should be on that list. It's POR2 bad.

"Arcanum also made the list, but I'm not objecting to that.

But IWD, NWN and ToEE"

All 4 of these games deserve to be on the list. Arcanum is top 10 potential. IWD was a solid dungeon crawl. NWN is the Energizer Bunny when it comes to RPG shelf life (for me at least), and TOEE has probably the best combat system ever for a CRPG).

"Probably because it's still in the Beta stages and only finished games made it into the list. Or something."

Meh. BL - even with its problems - would be a worthy addition to the list.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN was innovatinve. That doesn't make it one of the best RPGs of all time. Plenty of other games innovated greatly, yet were far more enjoyable RPGs.

Morrowind had a better toolset, and a better single player campaign that NWN. Morrowind had a better engine as well.

"Morrowind had a better toolset, and a better single player campaign that NWN. Morrowind had a better engine as well."

MW was crap. It had crappy grahics (brown poo does not = good grahics). It had a crappy camapign with a non existent story, completely forgettable npcs, horrible dialogue, no worthwhile or interesting quests. MW along with the rest of the ES series are amongst the worst games of all time. I cna't really judge its toolset though since I threw the game in the trahs can; but I seriosuly doubt it's any better than NWN's since NWN's toolset is capable of a lot and its also mostly user friendly (but, I'm stupid and still cna't get scripting down though I'm getting there). the fact that you like MW over NWN let alone othe rgames kinda hurts this comaprison as MW is pathetic.

"NWN was innovatinve. That doesn't make it one of the best RPGs of all time. Plenty of other games innovated greatly, yet were far more enjoyable RPGs."

If I wer egoing just by the OC, I'd agree. The OC isn't one of the best. However, the total package is. Like I said, any game that can keep my attention for moe than 6 months (let alone 2+ years) tells me a lot about the fun factor.

Morrowind sucks. Period. You think otherwise. Good for you. Let's leave it at that or we could waste another 10 posts each going back and forth. Either way, I'm game. :D

Of that list, I'd have to go with Torment, simply because it most fulfilled my primary requirement in a cRPG, which is to capture my imagination. It had me going "wow" any number of times... partly because of the unfolding knowledge of my Nameless one, partly because of what I was having my Nameless One do, and partly because of the craptacularly long-winded combat spell graphics.

Needless to say, those first two "wow"s were good... the last one, not so much. ;)

It didn't have the replayability for me of, say, a BG2, but story-driven games aren't really all that replayable for me anyway. I'll go through those once, possibly reloading if it seems like there's a semi-interesting choice I've got to make, to see if things change later on because of it, but that's about all. Once the story's been explored, there's just not much fun in going through it again, largely because I find story-driven games tend to fall flat in other areas. BG2 gets my vote for replayability, because I like magic users as a class and that game has tons of spells, and lots of beasties upon which to use them.

Torment, though... that was a satisfying game for me.

If I was voting for my favourite game period, there'd have to be an Ultima in there somewhere or I wouldn't bother answering, but since the poll's relative to the options listed, I'll go with Torment. Probably Fallout after that, although BG or BG2 might sneak into second place depending on when you ask me (and for different reasons).

*snort* And he says "nothing else much to post."

HA! :D

then NWN + SoU +HotU (+ paladin trilogy by Rick Burton)  :p

that was a very good user made module.

not that id necessarily vote for kotor, but its curious the original thread author adds toee but not kotor. the thread question should have been 'of the games that i, roshan, enjoy most, which one do you guys like?' <_<