Holy Crap...sucks to be in Southern Asia.

Arkan

Over 68,000 now. :thumbsup:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The news here has reported the death toll as over 100,000 and still increasing. The tsunamis caused by the earthquake have reached heights of 50 meters (about 15 stories high). The experts also predicted that at sometime in the future, there is a large possibility that even more powerful tsunamis will hit the eastern side of the US and destroy most of the major cities along the coast (such as New York)... Several after-shocks also occurred today (one had a magnitude of 6.2) in the region... seems like the trouble isn't over yet...

As for the risk of an epidemic, yes, it's highly possible if the bodies aren't taken care of quickly enough. Should one break out though...

To make matters even worse, astrologers have predicted that the year 2005 is going to be a year of disasters... There will be increased political unrest (even a chance of war), a epidemic breakout (most likely SARS, they say), and more natural disasters... Astrological evidence isn't very convincing (and I really doubt all of this will happen), but this is depressing news all the same...

To make matters even worse, astrologers have predicted that the year 2005 is going to be a year of disasters... There will be increased political unrest (even a chance of war), a epidemic breakout (most likely SARS, they say), and more natural disasters... Astrological evidence isn't very convincing (and I really doubt all of this will happen), but this is depressing news all the same...

SARS? I would actually vote on chicken flue. It's possible, and seems more deadly.

The amount of missing Swedes have been shortened down to 1,000, but still topping the least of missing tourists. Norway comes closely behind with 700+.

This seems to be the biggest tragedy for Sweden since the Estonia in the 90s, and THE biggest post WW2 catastrophy in Norway. (If you wonder why so few make such a big catastrophy - there's only around 9,000,000 people living here).

Of course, nothing we can come up with even comes near in the comparison with the suffering countries hit by the tsunami..

*shudders*

this was a great Christmass present...

I keep seeing this enormous wave in front of me.. probably because I saw "Day after Tomorrow" just day before this all happened.

The highest tsunamis sighted have been reported to be around 30-50 meters, but don't be too surprised - tsunamis with heights of 85 meters (virtually as tall as a skyscraper) were seen off the coast of Japan before...

According to the footage I saw on the news, some of the tsuamis that hit the shores were taller than the tropical trees on the beach...

Anyone heard about this? Link

That doesn't look pretty either... :p

With this, the super volcano under Yellostone, and the 2029 meteor, and Bush...the future looks pretty bleak...

The scariest thing about the tsunamis caused by these events is that they move at speed of around 500 miles an hour....that's as fast as a jetliner!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

50 meters high waves!? that's just evil ..

but all the places I've read about only reported a max of 10 meters! which is still pretty evil ..

I wonder how we have survived for this long ..

the mathmatical chance of utter anihilation seems high .. I mean with so many factors! Meteors, epidemics, natural disasters, war etc.

Fortune favors the bald.

well it's not just that .. for the last 10000 years the weather has been extremely stable compared to the previous 100.000 years .. no iceage (although that will probably happen within the next 1000 years)

the magnetic poles haven't shifted and no major asteroids have struck Earth etc etc.

alot of factors that normally wipe out entire species have not occured in our time here so far! we've been extremely lucky ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Give it time. The human race is relatively young.

In the mean time, India refuses foreign aid

well it's not just that .. for the last 10000 years the weather has been extremely stable compared to the previous 100.000 years .. no iceage (although that will probably happen within the next 1000 years)

the magnetic poles haven't shifted and no major asteroids have struck Earth etc etc.

alot of factors that normally wipe out entire species have not occured in our time here so far! we've been extremely lucky ..

Umm... humanity has been around for about 100,000 years... and the last pole shift almost wiped us out.

50 meters high waves!? that's just evil ..

but all the places I've read about only reported a max of 10 meters! which is still pretty evil ..

I wonder how we have survived for this long ..

the mathmatical chance of utter anihilation seems high .. I mean with so many factors! Meteors, epidemics, natural disasters, war etc.

Interesting sidenote: If all the pumps (? Dont't know the exact name, but they pump the water from lower parts of the land away to keep it dry) in Holland stop working for 24 hours, more than half the country would flood and tens of thousands of people would die...

Let's hope we never get a major power failure :ph34r: :blink: