Holy Crap...sucks to be in Southern Asia.

Arkan

yes I should've been a little more clear sorry .. :">

I think that all these factors are the sole reason we have reached this level of technology, or maybe I should say, been "allowed" to reach it ..

"The Earth's orbit is very close to being a perfect circle, but not quite. It is somewhat elliptical, which means that the distance between the Earth and the Sun varies over the course of the year. This effect is too weak to cause the seasons, but it might have some influence over their severity. And every 21,000 it reaches a maximum, which have a small effect on climate!

the 21,000-year cycle is does not seem to be very important climatologically because the Earth's orbit is almost circular - the distance to the Sun at perihelion is only about 3% less than its distance at aphelion. That is, whether perihelion occurs in January or July, it seems unlikely that our seasons would be much affected. At least, that is the case now; but the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit (how elliptical it is) changes over very long periods of time, from almost zero (circular orbit) to about three times its current value. The eccentricity of the orbit varies periodically with a time scale of about 100,000 years!" (taking from a website I didn't want to write it all myself) :blink:

and during our civilizations development we were in a very stable orbit (calm weather and a lesser frequecy of earthquakes and volcano eruptions), but now we are moving towards the more extreme outer orbit .. which will cause an even more severe ice-age than the one that occured 11,000 years ago ..

now if that is combined with a magnetic polar shift, the consequences could be quite bad!

that was my point .. we have been lucky so far, but within the next couple of thousand years weather and mother Earth, won't be so kind .. hopefully we will reach the needed level of technology to combat these events!

Fortune favors the bald.

I've found the funniest site .. about how the world is (was) going to end in may 2003 because of a polarshift caused by a mysterious 12th planet!!

http://www.nepanewsletter.com/polar.html

and the Earth rotation will stop .. and DEATH! here's something from the site:

"

Updated: Tuesday, July 22

Time remaining until polar shift:

Rotation stoppage is now imminent.

Time remaining until the 12th Planet

may be visible in the daytime sky:

Daytime sightings have now been reported,

as have motherships.

"

Fortune favors the bald.

there are over 200 recorded asteroids flying through Earths orbit every second (in all sizes) .. now how many haven't we seen? and how many of them are big enough to hurt us?`

it only takes one the size of a kilometer to really hurt .. and such a small completly black object is pretty hard to see on a black background!

Fortune favors the bald.

there are over 200 recorded asteroids flying through Earths orbit every second (in all sizes) .. now how many haven't we seen? and how many of them are big enough to hurt us?`

it only takes one the size of a kilometer to really hurt .. and such a small completly black object is pretty hard to see on a black background!

IIRC its one with a size that would spell armageddon(sp?)

To a more somber subject, the official number of dead has reached 80000, though the UN has predicted that the toll will lie between 50 and 80 thousand just in the Aceh province ;)

Even better. The Mayan, Aztec and Egyptian calendars all ended in like 2014. May 2014 or something like that.

They kept fairly accurate star charts and calendars, light years ahead of the rest of the world.

NASA found a huge asteroid that will be passing by earth at that time, but gave only a 1% chance that it would hit earth.

You can't make this stuff up.

Heres some more doomsday news:

Approximately 25 years from now there is a 1 out of 60 chance that an asteroid is gonna hit earth.

It would be kind of annoying if it hit.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6751433/

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I was under the impression that the reason people have debated between the 2012 and the May 2014 date is that supposedly their calendars weren't 100% accurate. If we adjust for a few small errors, we move back a year and a half to 2014. But I haven't done any of the math myself.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/02/asteroid.reut/