Poll for Owners ***NO SPOILERS***

Which do you like better : Knights of the Old Republic / Sith Lords ?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better : Knights of the Old Republic / Sith Lords ?

• KOTOR
    • TSL

dunno yet -- I'll have to play and replay KOTOR 2 before I can make a final judgment, but lemme tell ya that KOTOR1 is my favorite RPG to-date, thanks to the great gameplay (love the combat system), the story and characters (Jolee was the man, and Revan, well, she was vicious!), superb voice-acting (it adds so much if done right, imho), replay value (twice, and started a 3rd and 4th -- I buy too many games), and a decent challenge on Difficult.

I'm finding that KOTOR2 is harder (started on Difficult) and there seems to be much more action. Also, I am enjoying the dialogue options more, as they're more varied and not so obvious in their morality......I'm really enjoying getting to know the new characters as well.

Nostalgia factor is important in my case as well. I remember how I was waiting for the game in 2002 when first bigger info was released, admiring sketches of Taris

and Manaan, being hypnotized by realistic sunsets of Dantooine... later I found out

that storyline is clumsy and sucks, but KOTOR will remain most groundbreaking game in history of Star Wars franchise.

TSL will have better storyline, but in terms of graphics and introduction of new Star Wars Era it will never be really original.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

KOTOR was out of nowhere for me -- I didn't expect it to be good, since it was a licensed RPG, especially SW, to be honest. But then I read-up on the gameplay, and put aside my feelings for Episode I, and definitely am glad I did! The game made me a fan again.

This sounds trite but KotOR was Star Wars and TSL was the ESB. I like them both for different reasons and it is a matter of taste as to which you would prefer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

KOTOR gets my vote.

Sith Lords drags on far too long before you get to choose where to go and finally get a lightsaber, and the two planets you have to slog through beforehand aren't nearly as interesting as Taris. Please devs, in the future ditch the idea of having to "earn" a lightsaber. The worst part of every SW game where you play as a Jedi is the part before you get a lightsaber, and SL is no different. Start the game in high gear and don't look back.

And with the exception of Nar Shaddaa the planets in SL aren't as interesting, atmospheric, or cool-looking as the ones in KOTOR, and even in the vertical city there was far too much running around in bland, indoor/greyish areas. Two of KOTOR's planets were reused but there's even less to see and do in them this time around.

Couple that with the general lack of improvements to things like customizing appearances, load times and frequency, and a bunch of other things small and not-so-small, and you're left with a game that falls short of the original in more ways than it outdoes it.

KOTOR2 got my vote. I like the new dialogue options and slight improvements to the graphics. The new combat annimations also make it more appealing. The interaction between NPC is better than the original and I think I'm going to have to play more than 2 times to even get all the dialogue options for all the NPC. I have had slightly more bugs in KOTOR2 and the ending wasnt as "epic" as the original, but I'm hoping the ending was done that way only for the reason of making a 3rd installment.

They better make a 3rd installment <_<

Tough choice. Overall, KOTOR was a slightly more pleasing experience, simply because it seemed complete and more refined. The story had closure, the plots and sub-plots were simple but well fleshed out, and so were the characters. The game achieved what it had set out to do.

TSL was very different. It had set lofty ambitions for itself. Which is not a bad thing, but if you fail to achieve these ambitions completely, the game loses its appeal somewhat. This game had the potential to be an absolute legend. The story was dark and captivating. The characters were complex and had deep backgrounds. Compared to TSL's story, KOTOR's story seems like a goody-goody fairy tale.

It's so easy to follow the light side in KOTOR, since when you're playing LS, you can cast yourself in the role of the knight in shining armor. The world around you and the people around you are built such that you are aptly rewarded and recognized for being such a knight. You don't bring your real-life beliefs and experiences into play at all. In contrast, TSL often ridicules you if you're trying to play goody-goody, through several instruments such as NPC responses, your PC's history, the lack of credits in your wallet, people taking undue advantage of your PC all over the place, etc. etc. The setting is much more real-world.

However, the game just loses steam. The story, the characters, the plot, everything just plummets to nothingness. All that intrigue that was built up turned into nothing but disappointment. And I'm not simply talking about an anti-climax over here. Things *just* *don't* *make* *sense*. Events happen out of nowhere, characters suddenly behave strange, and you're left wondering "What the hell just happened?" There are a *lot* of unanswered questions, but these are not the type of questions that imply a sequel, they are unanswered questions inherent to the game you've just played.

Inspite if these flaws, it cannot be denied that TSL is a captivating experience for most part. It's just that it simply doesn't achieve what it could have, which is why I'd say KOTOR is the overall better game. But if you liked KOTOR, there's no excuse for you not to buy this game. Apart from the story, the gameplay enhancements, although not major, are welcome and appropriate for a sequel. The graphics are beautiful, the framerate horrible. There are bugs all over the place, but you can live with them and thankfully I did not encounter any game-killing bug.

That's all, folks.

-- Angshu