Will there be a KOTOR3?

Its very well possible for a third, since the ending was - I find - very pathetic, it lacked the proper substance to make it great. The game itself was fantastic, one of the top games I've played, but that ending was just b/s and it got me pretty mad.

It will probably end up making a sequel, to be honest, LucasArts seems to focus so much on money, everything is about money. Consider the Star Wars trilogy - it was meant to be a trilogy, but they go off and make sequels, which I must say are pretty bad. They start doing everything digital, making everything less realistic, people complain, they don't care.

Kotor to me, was left unexplained, like:

When you see the historian talking to Carth, nothing happens later on with him, you don't see/speak to Carth again. You don't get much information on Revan and his cohorts either, except the droids of course. But it -was- interesting when you found out Mandalore was Canderous, I suspected it, but the voices seemed off.

If they DO make a third, I hope they use Revan and maybe make a fourth with the Exile. To finish there stories, to be honest, I didn't like the ending with Revan, you hardly get to know what happens or what he does, except for the few hints in Kotor 2, but if they let us once again control him, that would be great. If they bring in a third character, I think I'll be disappointed again with the ending, they don't truly explain what happens with Revan/The Exile, which really pisses me off, it leaves gaps, and if they make a third character, more gaps will be opened and the storyline will slowly get screwed. But I've notice, slowly the galaxy seems to be dieing, and Kotor 3, may be the end of it all. But I really can't know until it happens.

I'm pretty sure there will be a KOTOR:3. The question is who is making it.

If it gets handed off to another company, I feel sorry for them. Despite the fact that they've got easy money to be made, following KOTOR:1 and 2 is not an easy task.

LucasArts was doing pre-production on KOTOR:3 a while back before their layoffs, so I think they definately want one. I'm sure there are tons of willing developers.

Why wouldn't there be one?

If (or rather when) KOTOR III is made, hopefully it'll be developed by either Bioware or Obsidian for the simple fact both already have knowledge of the mechanics and both have some experience with the story being told. I think having either Bio or Obsidian do the third installment would allow the story flow better from I to III.

Now about the possibility of finally getting a simultaneous release for the third one.... :)"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

3 months between releases is alot better than what happened with KOTOR:1. And I think Obsidian truly tried to have a simulataneous release on their end.

Do we want KOTOR:3 right away with the same engine? It could be in pre-production right now somewhere being rushed for next holiday season.

It would not surprise me.

I'd rather wait 2 years and see it on the Source Engine.

SOURCE ENGINE, do you hear me?

3 months between releases is alot better than what happened with KOTOR:1.  And I think Obsidian truly tried to have a simulataneous release on their end.

Do we want KOTOR:3 right away with the same engine?  It could be in pre-production right now somewhere being rushed for next holiday season.

It would not surprise me.

I'd rather wait 2 years and see it on the Source Engine.

SOURCE ENGINE, do you hear me?

In a way I'd rather KOTOR III be on the same engine, if no other reason than to give the entire series a "Trilogy" feel to it. If I and II are on the current engine, then III is made on a vastly near (and improved) engine, the three games might not seem like they're part of the same series.

As far as the Source engine goes, I'm not sure it works well with a cRPG. The technical issues with Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines has been plentiful and this is even seen on high end machines, not just machines that barely meet the minimum reqs. Unless it was just Troika who did a piss poor job, I'm not a big fan of the Source engine in terms of its use as a RPG engine.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I understand what you're saying, and I think I could be happy with the same engine if a few things were added/fixed.

I'm pretty sure Troika got a very early version of Source considering when they started their game, and when Half Life 2 shipped.

Source allows for nice facial reactions.

Source has physics models for every object in the world. Imagine Vader and Luke fighting in ESB. Lightsabers mightily clash as debris fly through the air. Source can do that.

Source provides great graphics, which scale quite well in Half-Life 2.

You may be correct about the Source engine. I haven't played HL2 so I have no clue whether the same graphical and engine issues exist. But after playing Bloodlines and seeing the lack of polish that Troika put in to it, I guess I'm a bit biased against the Source engine.

Troika developed the most excellent Arcanum: Of Steamworks of Magick Obscura. I've never played V:TM:B, but sounds like a fluke to me. Troika can - and sounds like they should have - done better. But I'll reserve judgement until I actually play the game. I don't always trust reviews unless they provide an *exceedingly* poor analysis of the game.

Troika developed the most excellent Arcanum: Of Steamworks of Magick Obscura. I've never played V:TM:B, but sounds like a fluke to me. Troika can - and sounds like they should have - done better. But I'll reserve judgement until I actually play the game. I don't always trust reviews unless they provide an *exceedingly* poor analysis of the game.

They also made ToEE. So you could say that perhaps Arcanum was the fluke in their repetoire. :ph34r: :)"

So does anyone think the 1up.com reviewer knows more than we do or has heard more than we have? He mentioned something about Bioware doing the follow up to Obsidian's TSL, meaning Bioware would be developing KOTOR III. Although considering the quality of that review, I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says.

So does anyone think the 1up.com reviewer knows more than we do or has heard more than we have?  He mentioned something about Bioware doing the follow up to Obsidian's TSL, meaning Bioware would be developing KOTOR III.  Although considering the quality of that review, I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says.

Do you really want to trust a GameCube enthusiast web site with an Xbox game announcement? Remember the TSL reviewer had, in his personal collection, Barbie's Happy Prancy Pony and Pink Bunnies, or some such nonsense.

As for Bioware, maybe if they're planning to do it, they'll put it on their Eclipse Engine. It will keep the game on a created-for RPG game engine as opposed to what some of the suggestors have recommended using FPS and action engines.

WHOA! You know, a Star wars game would REALLY take advantage of the physics.... I mean... gravity gun, force push, anyone? Also, the secondary fire of that heavy-duty assault rifle is representative of what it would be like to have blaster bolts flying around.

But, eh... it would be difficult to do. And they would have to put it out on PC first, which would (finally) screw over the X-box users. It would be amazing, though... I mean, the faces were good in these games, but in the source engine it would just be a whole new level. Mmm...

EDIT: Ehh, you beat me to it, ender... another thread...

I haven't read the spoilers, so I don't know exactly what the ending is, but from the sounds of it it sounds like it could be a

cliffhanger. People will want closure

. If that's the case, then I don't see how they can hold off on developing KOTOR3 for 2 or more years.

Yeah, that's what it is alright... it even leaves a little more open than that...

I wonder what they'd do with KotOR III. It's almost the end of this generation of X-box, so they'd have to develop a new engine. If everything that's said about the new one is true, though, an improved version of the K2 engine may be most plausible. Still, source would be awesome...

LucasArts was already working on KotOR II even before the original KotOR was completed. This is why they were able to deliver the game a year after KotOR was released. Maybe in the halls of LA, they are already hard at work on KotOR III but they just don't want to officially announce it. I must admit though that this is most unlikely as they laid off 31 people (old news, i know...) who were part of the KotOR III pre-production team. Who knows though? KotOR III may come out next year. I guess all we can do is hope.