Revan in KotOR2

Do you think Revan should play a big part in KotOR2?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Revan should play a big part in KotOR2?

• YES
    • NO

A lot can happen in five years. We know the Sith Lords have destroyed nearly all the jedi and the Republic is on its last legs. That's quite a departure from the LS ending in KOTOR.

Actually, it's not as far as you think. The Republic was pretty much on it's last legs in KotOR, and tons of Jedi had died or joined the Sith. And not too mention the fact that even more Jedi died on the Star Forge at the end. Revan may have defeated Malak, but the Republic and the Jedi are both still mangled. Heck, the Republic and the Jedi still hadn't recovered from the war with Exur Kun, so I imagine after the Mandalorian Wars and the war with Revan and Malak, they must be in really bad shape.

The real departure, I believe, would be from the Dark ending. The impression I got from the DS ending is that the Republic was shattered, and that it shouldn't be on it's last legs after 5 years: it should be dead. Maybe that's just the impression i got.

So having Revan in the game makes it a copy? ;)  And if it were to break off from the first game nothing from KotOR1 would matter and I don't know of any one that played KotOR that wants KotOR2 to have no link to to the first game. :(

I agree with you JediDan. I don't understand this lame copy stuff. How could Revan being in the game make it a copy of the first if we are getting an original storyline, new characters, clothes, enemies, enviroments!?!? Revan playing a large role in the game a copy... I beg to differ.

And to sandman, if you talk to the Jedi on Dantooine you can pretty much tell how much bad shape the Republic is even before the FIVE YEARS.

A lot can happen in five years. We know the Sith Lords have destroyed nearly all the jedi and the Republic is on its last legs. That's quite a departure from the LS ending in KOTOR.

Actually, it's not as far as you think. The Republic was pretty much on it's last legs in KotOR, and tons of Jedi had died or joined the Sith. And not too mention the fact that even more Jedi died on the Star Forge at the end. Revan may have defeated Malak, but the Republic and the Jedi are both still mangled. Heck, the Republic and the Jedi still hadn't recovered from the war with Exur Kun, so I imagine after the Mandalorian Wars and the war with Revan and Malak, they must be in really bad shape.

The real departure, I believe, would be from the Dark ending. The impression I got from the DS ending is that the Republic was shattered, and that it shouldn't be on it's last legs after 5 years: it should be dead. Maybe that's just the impression i got.

Hadn't thought about it like that, but yeah, I see what you're saying. Thanks for the insight.

Yah, some people take things way to far. I can understand wanting new characters, but some people seem to think that a single old character having a part bigger than simply appearing for a few seconds makes the game an "old lame copy with nothing new".

The game is not just another Star Wars game, it is a sequel to KotOR. Therefore, it needs to have SOME things to connect the two games together. Why not have Revan be one of those things?

Exactly. In Jedi Knight II you play as Kyle(Revan) then in Jedi Academy you play as Jaden Korr(new PC). The story in Jedi Academy was terrible but it sort of gives an idea of what KOTOR II could be like. Kyle was in the game played a minor role but it was very nice when he would mention things from his past.

Yeah, it just doesn't add up that the person who is directly responsible for bringing back the Sith and then either defeating them or cementing their rule (depending on how you finished the game) would be all but forgotten a mere half decade later. Someone made a reference to Darth Maul as an example of a character who played a significant role in only one Star Wars episode. The difference between Maul and Reven is that Maul was basically just a tool of the Emperor. He did not act of his own free will nor did he make any "decisions" that would impact the story greatly. Reven, on the other hand, makes the choices that ultimately determine whether the bad guys or the good guys will win. Darth Maul also gets killed at the end of Episode 1 if you remember (a circumstance that makes it difficult to play a future role).

I don't think Revan was forgotten, I think he just disappeared and did not want to be bothered by anyone. Like Carth told him after they left the Leviathan, it must be even more of a shock to him. Revan just wanted to complete his mission, good or bad, and then do some soulsearching. Obi-Wan was killed in Episode IV and still played HUGE roles in Ep V and VI, telling luke to go to Dagobah and telling him about his twin sister.

Having Revan in a major role ruins TSL as anything more than a copy.  If that happens it can never get itself out of its predecessor's shadow and will not live up to the first game.  With a new beginning we can get a good, new, original game.

how so? was Empire Strikes Back just a copy of A New Hope? Many people thought ESB was better than ANH.

Depending on how the story is implemented, the fact that a continuation of the old story into the new one doesn't make it just a copy.

The thing is, Empire Strikes Back continued to focus around Luke Skywalker.

KOTOR 2 focuses around you, not Revan.

I think it would be bad design to have the character the game player plays to be a minor character, with no real relevance to the main plot of Revan's.

I think Revan if indeed he/she plays a large or small role in TSL must be a DS character, I mean think about it if YOU the PC are the last remaining jedi then how can revan also be? and I mean lets face it if the sith lords in question have a brain between them they would move to eliminate or rerecruit Revan if he stayed LS before anything else. Unless of course they know something about the PC we dont.

Revan of course could be dead but i think that would be a bit of a let down.

Anyone else agree or find holes in my arguement??

People take the "last remaining Jedi" at too much of face value.

Revan goes into hiding, so the Sith may lose track of him, or for whatever reason assume he is dead from some other previous conflict. Most people thought he was dead in KOTOR 1 but he wasn't.

And I'm sure there are still other Jedi out there. Everyone assumed that Vader was the last of their "old religion" in a New Hope, but Obi Wan and Yoda were still around, and it certainly didn't stop them from training other Jedi (Luke).

I don't think Revan was forgotten, I think he just disappeared and did not want to be bothered by anyone.

Call me crazy, but that doesn't make sense to me. Here Reven has just risked his life to determine the outcome of a huge battle, and he just leaves because he doesn't want to be bothered? The outcome of the conflict between the Sith and the Republic is clearly not yet decided (as is evident by the fact that there is a jedi man hunt going on five years later) and Reven just walks away? What kind of character would he be to do something like that? He just put his life on the line to win this great battle, wouldn't he care who wins the war!? That would be like if Luke Skywalker left and decided that he couldn't be bothered after the Battle of Yavin 4!

Why should Revan run when we made him the most powerful person in the galaxy (in the span of 2 weeks or so I must say). At his rate of improvement, he could destroy all existance in a month or so, and it's been 5 years :)

Ah....you don't know how long it took to finish KOTOR.

For all you know it took weeks to travel from planet to planet ;)

So having Revan in the game makes it a copy? ;) And if it were to break off from the first game nothing from KotOR1 would matter and I don't know of any one that played KotOR that wants KotOR2 to have no link to to the first game. :)

The thing is, how much of a large role do you guys truly want Revan to play?

Considering Revan was played by millions of different people, whatever path they choose for Revan is bound to piss thousands of people off. Let the wake of his actions be important, but not the man himself. It takes the focus off of you, the main character. No one will want to play a game being merely on the sidelines.

Yah, some people take things way to far. I can understand wanting new characters, but some people seem to think that a single old character having a part bigger than simply appearing for a few seconds makes the game an "old lame copy with nothing new".

The game is not just another Star Wars game, it is a sequel to KotOR. Therefore, it needs to have SOME things to connect the two games together. Why not have Revan be one of those things?

Exactly. In Jedi Knight II you play as Kyle(Revan) then in Jedi Academy you play as Jaden Korr(new PC). The story in Jedi Academy was terrible but it sort of gives an idea of what KOTOR II could be like. Kyle was in the game played a minor role but it was very nice when he would mention things from his past.

But would Jedi Academy (which wasn't all that great to begin with) be any better if the story still focused so much on Kyle?

And I wouldn't say that Obi-Wan played a "huge" role in Episode's 5 and 6. He simply was a way of progressing the story, and the fact that they could have done it in a myriad of other different ways illustrates this in my opinion.

Either way, a couple days of action and weeks of resting time and you're insanely powerful. I mean, that makes it even more impressive. I'll bet Revan is secretly god.

Although Revan's fast progression can be easily explained since he had already attained greatness...he just needed to be reminded.

Kinda like Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity.

No one is saying the story should be focused on Reven with your character being merely a side show. I just think that Reven and his/her actions should still be integral to whatever story you tell during this time period. If he/she is not, then it trivializes everything that you did in the first KOTOR.

No one is saying the story should be focused on Reven with your character being merely a side show. I just think that Reven and his/her actions should still be integral to whatever story you tell during this time period. If he/she is not, then it trivializes everything that you did in the first KOTOR.

No one is saying that Revan's actions should not be important.

I'm talking about Revan him/herself.

A lot of people want to meet him in the game, and some even want him to be an NPC.

No one is saying that Revan's actions should not be important.

I'm talking about Revan him/herself.

A lot of people want to meet him in the game, and some even want him to be an NPC.

Anything is possible if the devs are clever about it. I just think that to cut his presence out of the story is like saying, "OK, this is just a video game and we don't have to worry about continuity at all. Despite the fact that this person just determined the fate of the galaxy 5 years ago, he will not be appearing in the game because it makes it to weird for people who didn't play the first one." Ridiculous.

It has already been stated that his has gone into hiding for whatever reason.

It does not eliminate him from the universe, but does not make him the continued focus of the game. Since Revan is so insanely powerful, I do not think it would be possible to have him involved in much of the game and somehow keep the focus on the PC. Furthermore, people will be upset at the fact that this "Revan" will not be playing the game like the Revan they envisioned had.

This is why there are some people that would rather keep the appearance of Revan to be small (if any)...not because it would be wierd to someone that didn't play the original.

Futhermore, considering the actions that your Revan took on during KOTOR are already being considered heavily, if you actually place the Revan character himself into the main story, a lot of work will have to go into that character. Dialogue trees and simple traits will have to be taken into consideration. No longer was Revan a male LS hero, but he now has to be a combination of Solder/Scout/Scoundrel and Guardian/Sentinel/Consular. He also needs to react appropriately for his past actions...but who's to say what's appropriate? You? Me? Obsidian? In any case, it won't be good enough because he will act in ways that will tick people off.

Then there is the voice issue....Revan never really had a voice (apart from the generic barks), so how do you choose a voice for him/her. And since the voice can be either female or male, then you have to pay two different actors to say the exact same lines (unless you have different dialogues for different sex...in which case would still be much more development time on Revan, which cannot help but result in increased focus on Revan during the game).

Not having Revan (the character) play a huge role in the game does not ruin continuity. Ignoring his actions and the fallout of those actions would be...but that is not the case. I would think it would disrupt continuity a lot more if Revan acted in ways I did not think he should act in, simply because it is now a developer's interpretation of him, rather than my own.

another kotor might be in our future maybe revan returns to either defend the galaxy or take it for his own and finnaly destroy the republic

I would like to see him in some form or another

hears another maybe

while on peragus you are trying to regain your link to the force (cutscene) your pc walks to a window in the station and spots a ship speeding into unknown space curios he takes a second look and it zooms to show revan with a hooded robe not showing his face looking straight back at your character all of the sudden your pc starts to go into fits as his/her link is reconnected with explosive force as your pc regains his/her power but he/she is not able to control it and so it lifts him/her up in the air and things begin to start fying against the wall pipes start bursting and then your pc simply cant take it anymore and passes out

guess were all gonna have to wait :unsure:

We all know that it would not be good for them to pick a face for Revan and tell everyone this is what he/she looks like. So Revan can wear a mask or sit in a dark corner in a cantina or something. But why can't we have Revan in the game other than the face issue. A voice don't really matter if they want Revan in the game they can afford to hire 2 people to do the voice. Also he/she don't have to fight to have a big part so you don't have to pick jedi class and stuff like that. And yea Revan is powerful but agian he don't have to fight to be a big part of the game he could be a mentor or help you reconnect with the force like yoda helped luke become a jedi.

There are a lot of ways to make this work and I'm sure all the folks at odsidian can come up with a way to have Revan play a big part and still get around all of you concerns.