Who the hell is Black Isle Studio

Alexia

Actually, BIS isn't the company behind the BG games and has somehow "stolen" Bioware's fame when those games were released... If you check the list of games BIS has made, it's just a pack of s**t... Fallout games? Pwah! :p IWD games? They were mediocre! Planescape? Awful game that gets quickly boring! Lionheart? Let's not even talk about it! On the other hand, BG was really good but wasn't made by BIS, so they can't get any glory out of it...

I don't know why you guys support BIS (or its ex-members) that much, since they haven't done anything really good... I was hoping much out of IWD2 and BG3 and they disappointed me... I am still giving a chance to them with Kotor 2 and I hope it will be a decent game. Look at Bioware: they have so many rewards for their games and their games are really briliant! BG2 is my favorite game of all time! Kotor is marvellous, just as NWN is... And I am sure Dragon Age will be an even better game!

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Actually, BIS isn't the company behind the BG games and has somehow "stolen" Bioware's fame when those games were released... If you check the list of games BIS has made, it's just a pack of s**t... Fallout games? Pwah! :lol: IWD games? They were mediocre! Planescape? Awful game that gets quickly boring! Lionheart? Let's not even talk about it! On the other hand, BG was really good but wasn't made by BIS, so they can't get any glory out of it...

I don't know why you guys support BIS (or its ex-members) that much, since they haven't done anything really good... I was hoping much out of IWD2 and BG3 and they disappointed me... I am still giving a chance to them with Kotor 2 and I hope it will be a decent game. Look at Bioware: they have so many rewards for their games and their games are really briliant! BG2 is my favorite game of all time! Kotor is marvellous, just as NWN is... And I am sure Dragon Age will be an even better game!

Cheers.

... Wheres roshan? I tempted to rebuttal at you but I don't know if your trolling or not.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Cheers.

Well it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

LOLOLOLLIPOP

More mature? Yeah, that's true, if you ignore the following (amongst other stuff):

The Ball Gag, Morte, the Shutgun Wedding, The Exploding s*** House, The Mutant Lover, The "extras", and on, and on. Must I really go on? the FO series while better than NWN, KOTOR and as good (if not better than) than the Bg series; but despite it's "Mature" rating isn't exactly the eptium of " darker edge". PST, on the other hand was in its own way much darker. However, IWD series counterbalances it back into the middle. They put the same amount of seriousness into their games as BIO 9or for that matter any other dev). Heck, LH had less "less serious" stuff than most of the BIO/BIS games. WOWSERS!

Stop spreading rumours, myths, and innunedo.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It is known that FALLOUT 2 was an easter egg's paradise. Heck, the whole game was based on easter eggs, random encounters and other humorous references to other stuff.

FALLOUT 1 was a lot better when in comes to that. That DID have a darker edge. Especially levels like the Cathedral and Necropolis were really imposing. The only thing that annoyed the hell out of me in F1 was the existence of LOXLEY. Gah, just kill that idjit!

Hey, I never said that easter eggs were bad. They are (usually) humourous, and they were present in both FOs.

As for the Darker edge, I don't think FO (other than the obvious nuclear fallout) was THAT dark in tone.

Yea, you guys are right, BIS had plenty of jokes in their games too. Having an Umber Hulk break out of a wall and go

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I think the Umberhulk in question was in IWD1.

Regarding the "dark" factor between BIS and Bio, BIS games had a grittier feel than the streamlined fantasy of Bioware. The BG games had a mix of both styles and it largely worked, but the IWDs, PS:T and Fallouts had more "guts" to them than what we've seen from Bioware (though there are parts of FO2 that make me wonder about the seriousness of the game).

Bioware's games have more of the "shining hero" aspect, while BIS used more shades of gray in terms of morality.

Both companies use a lot of humour that's quite indicative of long-time RPG players, and I think the style of humour is consistant between the companies.

newlogo.gif

Volourn, The Kool Aid deal was with IWD2, which last time I knew you never finished, so I doubt you saw it. But, there were some caves right before the underdark that had umber hulks in them. This was where it occurred. And, it was pretty funny. Actually the demon calling you sick and demented for carrying around dead bodies was a classic in the Severed Hand. I like my humor too, I'm not that dull, but some humor I find immature.

Actually the sacrifices was adult themed in HoTU. I agree. In fact that was the creepiest part in HoTU. Too bad it had more of a fright effect than Hell had.

But, in all I still didn

- Steven Erikson

Hmm.. I got past the UD in IWD2. I must of either missed it somehow or forgot. Either way, that *almost* makes me want to play the game again. Heh.

Sacrifices in HOTU? If you are referring to my post, that was in NWN OC. Hpowever, for HOTU, there's the torture of the angel.

I doa gree with Phosphor though. BIo's games do have the "shining hero" aspect to a higher degree. That's intentional though if you listen to what the BIO bosses say. They prefer more heroic stories so i doubt thata spect will change. Not that that's a bad (or good) way to develop games.

I doa gree with Phosphor though. BIo's games do have the "shining hero" aspect to a higher degree. That's intentional though if you listen to what the BIO bosses say. They prefer more heroic stories so i doubt thata spect will change. Not that that's a bad (or good) way to develop games.

I don't think it's necessarily good or bad either. I was just pointing out what I think is a key difference between the two studios.

Personally I preferred the BIS approach, but I have hopes for Dragon Age.

newlogo.gif

I thought the concept was solid, but the execution flawed. With a concept like that, the player should have had options to join the outcast alliance, if only to take it over for themselves. It gave a story suited for a standard heroic fantasy campaign, but the style of the game and potential character builds didn't fit that mold.

Given the way the plot played out, the story should have not been centred around an alliance of outcasts, which the player could empathise with, but a more generic or evil force.

newlogo.gif

I've only played and finished IWD2, not the first one, and it seemed to me it was almost completely a hack-and-slash, except from when you visited towns to reload for more hacking-and-slashing action, and perform quests that require more hack-and-slash...You whipe the docks clean of goblins, then you whipe the goblin fortress clean of goblins, then you whipe the caverns undernear the fortress clean of goblins etc etc...It's a goblin genocide, I tell you!

I did like the concept of the Legion of the Chimaera, however :ph34r:

Don't know if the first one was like that...

Torment - Best RPG ever. BG2 is a vanilla fantasy story wrapped up in strong game dynamics and solid role playing. Otherwise it lacks creativity. Not to mention the writing was just hideous. I physically cringed a few times. Not a bad game, but definitely not better then Torment. Fun, and entertaining. Throne of Bhaal on the other hand was just crap.

Bioware has a history s***ty writing, s***ty plot, and worse of all module design. Nothing screams pain like Neverwinter Nights module based design. Look at Neverwinter, every area had the exact same setup why? Because it was a module design they took the same fundamental wireframe and played around with it and changed the theme and aesthetics to reflect that certain part of town. KOTOR was a great improvement in all areas for Bioware but you can still see module design the whole game revolved around finding 4 starmaps on 4 planets that must overcome 4 major hurdles with 4 domestic problems that were interrelated with the star map. Sound familiar?

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I've only played and finished IWD2, not the first one, and it seemed to me it was almost completely a hack-and-slash, except from when you visited towns to reload for more hacking-and-slashing action, and perform quests that require more hack-and-slash...You whipe the docks clean of goblins, then you whipe the goblin fortress clean of goblins, then you whipe the caverns undernear the fortress clean of goblins etc etc...It's a goblin genocide, I tell you!

I did like the concept of the Legion of the Chimaera, however :ph34r:

Don't know if the first one was like that...

The first IWD actually had a very good story that was unfortunately obscured by the large amounts of combat.

It would have been a great story to base an RPG on rather than a combat-driven dungeon crawl.

newlogo.gif

The first IWD actually had a very good story that was unfortunately obscured by the large amounts of combat.

It would have been a great story to base an RPG on rather than a combat-driven dungeon crawl.

It also had good stories within the stories too. I really wanted to learn more about Dorn

- Steven Erikson

*shrug*

I liked Black Isle. I adore PS:T, and still find it to be the most story driven CRPG around, even with my KoTOR fangirl tendencies. Agreed with the poster who said that IWD would have been better if it had focused more on the story rather than the combat, frankly, I got tired of fighting at times and just wanted to advance the plot.

Black Isle was a good company, and I think Obsidian will be a good company. I think Bioware is a good company, as well.

Blah blah blah...

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.