The It Sucks Thread

I have to agree with the poster who said if LA knew that the XBox was so much further along than the PC version, in point of fact, to being actually in development first, why did they from the very beginning promise that they would "try for a simultaneous release date"?

Very disappointing.

And btw, one nitpicky detail, the actual quote is "LOVE of money is the root of all evil."  :rolleyes:

Heh heh heh, well, I won't delete those, but let's return to the topic.

Does returning to the topic mean we have to discuss whether or not LA and Obsidian are the root of all evil? Is this truely a conspiracy as you would have us believe? You're a Mod for Obsidian right??? Are you saying that Obsidian and LA have evil intentions??? IMO this just goes to show strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony that results in a mod.

Cheers!

Almost forgot.  The K2 fora will be divided in order to prevent spoilers.  K2 will most likely have at least one huge twist in like K1, and I will do my darnedest in order to see that the PC and international gamers will NOT have that ruined for them here at Obsidian.

Funny Bioware did the same thing...

Didn't help.

Topic has been pruned.

This thread is for the sole purpose of people venting their frustration over the latest release date announcement.  If you don't want to read it, then go to a different thread.

Obsidian does not condone, nor ever will condone, the illegal receipt of games (i.e. piracy).

Thanks to Akari for posting what he did.  It is much appreciated.

I have to agree with the poster who said if LA knew that the XBox was so much further along than the PC version, in point of fact, to being actually in development first, why did they from the very beginning promise that they would "try for a simultaneous release date"?

Very disappointing.

And btw, one nitpicky detail, the actual quote is "LOVE of money is the root of all evil."  :blink:

Almost forgot.  The K2 fora will be divided in order to prevent spoilers.  K2 will most likely have at least one huge twist in like K1, and I will do my darnedest in order to see that the PC and international gamers will NOT have that ruined for them here at Obsidian.

Thank you Adria, but it is too late. I was excited by the simultanious release as you well know, and I just cannot abide by this sort of misinformation and US favoritism. LA made a promise, that promise was to release the Xbox and PC versions simultaniously. They have broken that promise.

I made a promise, in turn that I would buy the game at a store. I am breaking that promise now, the Mod-chip will take care of the rest.

Topic has been pruned.

Very disappointing.

And btw, one nitpicky detail, the actual quote is "LOVE of money is the root of all evil."  :huh:

Thank you Adria, but it is too late. I was excited by the simultanious release as you well know, and I just cannot abide by this sort of misinformation and US favoritism. LA made a promise, that promise was to release the Xbox and PC versions simultaniously. They have broken that promise.

I made a promise, in turn that I would buy the game at a store. I am breaking that promise now, the Mod-chip will take care of the rest.

LMFAO!! Come on people it can't really be that bad! Or can it? :blink:

Cheers!

I don't think it's so much the fact that the PC and International versions are coming out on schedule, but the fact that people feel like they've been manipulated and strung along by LucasArts.

And I'm sorry to hear that, DJ, but I quite understand it.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

With KoTOR, PC and International gamers had to wait from July to November in order to get their versions, and even then, the release date wasn't announced until barely before the game hit the shelves.

With K2, it would seem that it's gone a step further. While yes, they have always maintained that they were "aiming for a simultaneous release date", at this point it would seem that this was not so. The XBox version has, according to Akari, been ahead of the PC version in development since the very beginning. The delay of the PC version on Bioware's end caused the delay of Obsidian getting the PC coding for K2.

LucasArts has been aware of that, and yet, up until last week, they have maintained that they were trying for said simultaneous release date.

Rather than being up front with the fans (which, yes, would have started yet another storm of outrage, but at least it would have been known from the beginning) they chose to continue a line of marketing which, at this point, can be construed as being dishonest. Not a good way to treat your fanbase, already jaded by the delayed release to those very same markets by K1. They waited until the rumours about a comprehensive release in December were flying thick, and then came out with the official announcement.

I want to believe that they thought that the Xbox fans would be overjoyed, and the PC and International fans would be appeased by the fact that those two versions are still on schedule for the time being.

They failed to take into account their promises of "trying for a simultaneous release date", the fact that the Xbox version has been in development longer than the PC and International versions, and the aforementioned let down of the PC and International releases of K1.

IMHO, I think the following would have considerably softened the blow:

1. If they had been up front about the disparity in development between the Xbox and PC versions.

2. If they had not said they were aiming for a simultaneous release date at all.

3. If they had clarified that they were aiming for a simultaneous PC and International release date, but it looked like the US Xbox version would be released first.

While I understand that very rarely in the gaming industry things go according to plan, I do believe that LA put their foot in their collective mouths with the simultanous release date claims. It should have never been said.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I'm both an X-boxer and a PCGamer and frankly it's sad that PC's are getting screwed over now when before it was the consoles. And why? Because the consoles are 128bit and Pc's are 32? Who knows. Seems like PCgamers are getting the trash now just because I don't know maybe all the differing types of PC's? Hard to say. Pretty soon most PC games will just be ported versions of the console games.... Consoles are getting the goods these days and yes I'll be getting it in December for my XBOX I'd rather have the higher resolution fun of the PC.... Oh well...

Piracy gets you nowhere, in fact it lessens your impact on the market, meaning that in the future to get the big bucks LA will push the Xbox version first. So if you want to be cheap, immoral, and just plain criminal, go right ahead.

Also, remember that the game was slated to come out on both consoles in Feb, but the Xbox version got pushed forward. The Xbox version is AHEAD of schedule, the PC version is ON schedule, so either way, the game would of been coming out in Feb for the PC, no matter what, unless LA tried to push them both, which they probally couldn't do.

Then the X Box should have waited til Feb 05, so they could keep their word instead of pissing on the PC gamers yet again.

They aren't "pissing" on anybody. I'm trying to say that L.A. was going to push the release on both consoles to December, but they just couldn't do it, and went with the Xbox. You make it sound like they said, "Screw the PC gamers, muhahahaha!"

I truely doubt that, LA wants to make money, and releasing both in December would of made them big time bucks, but if you don't have the resources, you have to make a choice, and their choice was the Xbox. They know that people will buy it on the Xbox during the Christmas season, they know that it will make them probally more money then the PC release. Can you really blame the guys for trying to run a company and trying to make a profit?

Like I said, I wish they could of brought both out at the same time, but if you don't have the resources to do both, you go with the one that makes you the most money.

And the money maker is the, unfortunately for the PCers, the Xbox.

i agree with jast and i also must congratulate jast for being able to deduct all of this and for being so understanding.....if only a certain hades_one had the ability to not criticize evrything he comes into contact with.

I'm both an X-boxer and a PCGamer and frankly it's sad that PC's are getting screwed over now when before it was the consoles.  And why?  Because the consoles are 128bit and Pc's are 32?  Who knows.  Seems like PCgamers are getting the trash now just because I don't know maybe all the differing types of PC's?  Hard to say.  Pretty soon most PC games will just be ported versions of the console games.... Consoles are getting the goods these days and yes I'll be getting it in December for my XBOX I'd rather have the higher resolution fun of the PC.... Oh well...

i think it's not a technical issue

With KoTOR, PC and International gamers had to wait from July to November in order to get their versions, and even then, the release date wasn't announced until barely before the game hit the shelves.

With K2, it would seem that it's gone a step further.  While yes, they have always maintained that they were "aiming for a simultaneous release date", at this point it would seem that this was not so.  The XBox version has, according to Akari, been ahead of the PC version in development since the very beginning.  The delay of the PC version on Bioware's end caused the delay of Obsidian getting the PC coding for K2.

LucasArts has been aware of that, and yet, up until last week, they have maintained that they were trying for said simultaneous release date. 

Rather than being up front with the fans (which, yes, would have started yet another storm of outrage, but at least it would have been known from the beginning) they chose to continue a line of marketing which, at this point, can be construed as being dishonest.  Not a good way to treat your fanbase, already jaded by the delayed release to those very same markets by K1.  They waited until the rumours about a comprehensive release in December were flying thick, and then came out with the official announcement.

I want to believe that they thought that the Xbox fans would be overjoyed, and the PC and International fans would be appeased by the fact that those two versions are still on schedule for the time being.

They failed to take into account their promises of "trying for a simultaneous release date", the fact that the Xbox version has been in development longer than the PC and International versions, and the aforementioned let down of the PC and International releases of K1.

IMHO, I think the following would have considerably softened the blow:

1.  If they had been up front about the disparity in development between the Xbox and PC versions.

2.  If they had not said they were aiming for a simultaneous release date at all.

3.  If they had clarified that they were aiming for a simultaneous PC and International release date, but it looked like the US Xbox version would be released first.

While I understand that very rarely in the gaming industry things go according to plan, I do believe that LA put their foot in their collective mouths with the simultanous release date claims.  It should have never been said.

Amen! I accept the apology and praise Obsidian for speaking out! Just don't let the XBox version be a buggy frame rate mess like KOTOR was on the XBox. I don't want to beg my friends to borrow the PC version like I did with the first game.

Cheers!

I don't think it's so much the fact that the PC and International versions are coming out on schedule, but the fact that people feel like they've been manipulated and strung along by LucasArts.

And I'm sorry to hear that, DJ, but I quite understand it.

Quite so, Adria. We have been misled, no other way of looking at it. Now, I know you devs are reading this thread, and I implore you to talk to LucasArts, get them to see that this is wrong and that you (as a post by Akira would lead one to believe) disagree with this policy of favoring one particular group of gamers on a particular platform and a particular location, when we were all promised a simultanious release.

I can say from experience, that this policy will not increase KOTOR2's sales figures, it will decrease them, as (Xbox, at first) gamers around the world will find other means of procuring this game, and thereby exacting a small measure of retribution against the people they feel are responsible...you(&LA).

I know you cannot purposely slow down development on one platform, but when Lucasarts had deleberately started development on the Xbox version of KOTOR2 before the PC version, then they should not have promised a simultanious release. I will not get into insults here, as I want this to be a valid comment, but Mike Gallo and Lucasarts have no credibility as far as I am concerned, and I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

You will lose alot of money and respect on this LA(and by extension, Obsidian), people will not trust you again, and you will have noone to blame but yourself. If you can live with that, fine.

But I think the number of "alternately aquired" copies will skyrocket from this, and you know? For the first time in my life, I do not see that as a wrong thing.

You made a promise: You broke that promise, so why should gamers keep their promise to pay for your product?

Ask yourself that question, and decide what you want: A happy fanbase that encompasses all gamers on the two platforms and globally? Or an American Xbox fanbase that will be overshadowed by the outcry of all the people you lied to?

I'm both an X-boxer and a PCGamer and frankly it's sad that PC's are getting screwed over now when before it was the consoles.  And why?  Because the consoles are 128bit and Pc's are 32?  Who knows.  Seems like PCgamers are getting the trash now just because I don't know maybe all the differing types of PC's?  Hard to say.  Pretty soon most PC games will just be ported versions of the console games.... Consoles are getting the goods these days and yes I'll be getting it in December for my XBOX I'd rather have the higher resolution fun of the PC.... Oh well...

yes but consoles are designed for people to play games on so consoles are usually better but i do agree pc gamers are getting the trash and its absolutely despicable that pc game is coming out two months after xbox version and most pc gamers will get more spoilers than they can possibly imagine!!!!!! unless they stay away from kotor 2 threads for 2 months...also i was just wondering wont there be a playstation 2 or gamecube version for it??? not that i care me being an xbox gamer myself but im just curious