Looking for the guys who worked on BG2...

Barren

I agree lack of any magical bucklers was pathetic. Thieves and Druids could only use normal bucklers while there were a hundred magical shields in the game. How they could forget about bucklers was a joke. Lame!

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I agree lack of any magical bucklers was pathetic. Thieves and Druids could only use normal bucklers while there were a hundred magical shields in the game. How they could forget about bucklers was a joke. Lame!

You assume they forgot, I doubt that is the case. Did they forget thieves had scroll use and could DW as well?

Don't mistake apethy for ignorence, if there were any doubts about Bio's level of motivation NWN erased them.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

@ Karzak... did you intentionally miss out on the aVenger Rogue Rebalancing Mod comment or something else? I can guarantee you if you've installed that one and play through SoA you wouldn't be that negative about how thieves are treated. FYI, I have that mod installed all the time.

@ Karzak: http://www.gamesector.co.yu/avenger/

I think you'll love it...and I agree with the "Why BIO why?", but at least the suffering won't hurt that much.

It's over dude, I am not reinstalling BG2 just to try a mod. Bio had the chance to do whatever is in the mod anyway, and they chose to screw the thief PC's.

Why Bio Why?

Thieves should be screwed1 They *are* thieves, afterall. The scum of the Earth (or Toril) deserve to be screwed! :angry: That makes BIO like paladins in that case. :huh:

That is all. B)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's over dude, I am not reinstalling BG2 just to try a mod. Bio had the chance to do whatever is in the mod anyway, and they chose to screw the thief PC's.

Your loss. Sorry to hear that 8).

It ain't a loss not to replay a game you played out just to fix what I could have hacked from day one. Even if the devs fix it, fine, I still won't play a dead game.

And it skirts the main point, which is why it was done by the devs to begin with, and why it was never fixed.

Why Bio Why?

I guess my (long-lost) original post wasn't clear at all. I did e-mail Bioware but they're not helping much. I was now hoping to get in contact with the BIS guys who beta-tested the game. All my apologies for being all mixed-up again ;)

I agree lack of any magical bucklers was pathetic.

Actually, there was a +1 buckler in the thief's guild, upstairs, in the room with all those doors to unlock. The testing room or whatever it was. But yeah, it would make sense to include bucklers with useful abilities, like bonuses to hide in shadows or finding traps, or so on.. Shoulda woulda coulda.

There was one +1 buckler in a game with huge amounts of overpowered shields. In TotSC there was Kiels buckler, what happened to that? Did Bio think that was overpowered, or did they just want to screw the thief class?

Why Bio Why?

Karzak's actually right.. the times I've played a thief, in combat and equipment he ended up bascially as Fighter-Lite with backstab. Occasionally I might lay a thousand traps before angering that boss and be cheap.

And as for the shield: It's hilarious they removed it and yet you could buy Shield of Reflection+1 and Fortress Shield as soon as you came out of Chateau Irenicus. ;)

Which is why aVENGER'S mod is so good. The Dagger of Venom and game-shatteringly powerful Kiel's Buckler (I too have quivered at the way that +1 DEX bonus alters the game) are both available to buy in the Shadow Thief guildhall, as well as other roguish goodies.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

So basically, no one's able to help about the original question? ;)

Try asking DavidG@bioware.com, while your at at if ask him if he can explain why thieves got screwed in BG2.

Why Bio Why?

Mention Karzak in your e-mail and I am sure you will get prompt attention.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Mention Karzak in your e-mail and I am sure you will get prompt attention.

LOL, yea, ask dave if he parks his car where the indians can't get it any more.

Why Bio Why?

• 3 weeks later...