European Football Championship 2004

mkreku

The European Football Championship 2004 is about to start in 30 minutes. Portugal (the hosting country) meets Greece in the opening match. Then it's Spain vs. Russia.

And Sweden looks better than they have for the last few.. decades. At least this time we HAVE to advance beyond the group play. Go, Sweden, go! :unsure:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Congratulations. A well deserved tactical victory. I really excepcted the early Greece goal to open the match up and force the best out of Portugal. Instead it looked like they where put in check mate and completly dissolved as a team. I cant remember the last time I saw Figo look so ineffective.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

-John Rogers

Well, that was a surprise. Portugal has a team full of stars and home crowd advantage and yet they played like they had lost before the game even started. Greece played well, especially their defense, and they were also very effective up front. Well done, Greece!

Spain is outplaying Russia right now. Great match so far!

Why didn't Vincente score... I need points for my fantasy football team.

Hehe, I have ZERO points after the first day. I suck at fantasy leagues! Better stick to RPG's :p

The Portuguese team's failure seemed to be caused by their lack of knowledge of themselves. It's as if they had not trained together. We had the individuals, the method, the play style - just not the team. Not only that, when you see things like Fernando Couto dodging the ball that gave Greece their first goal like a fat cat being shooed by their owner, with no effort into trying to stop it, you can't shake the feeling of wrongness with the team.

On better news, Denmark rocked the house today.

Damn, damn, damn!

Those italian minimalists. Wonder how our poor danish boys are doing after all that running around in 34 degrees celcius... :ph34r:

That game deserved a couple of goals in both ends. B)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sweden - Bulgaria 3-0 right now with 30 minutes to go!!!

I COULD KISS VOL.. ehm.. ok ALMOST KISS SOMEONE HALF AS NASTY AS VOLOURN RIGHT NOW! :rolleyes:

Hey, Gorth, I wouldn't worry about anything if I were you. The Danes played a great game and were just a bit unlucky in front of goal. It was a good game anyhow, despite the result!

They beat Bulgaria 4-0 in the WC in 1994..

Anyhow, we have 4-0 again now!! Zlatan has presented himself to the Euopean football fans :rolleyes:

Gotta love that Hristo Stoichkov before the game claimed "we are clearly the better team".. Well, Hristo, you can take five footballs and shove them up your rear!

And for those who don't know, Hristo is one of the coaches for the Bulgarian team and he used to be one hell of a good player himself. He was in the team that was beaten by Sweden (4-0) in 1994.. :(

Way to go Sweden... :(

Oops, I hope nobody heard that... being danish etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yay, I think England got it's due from turtling against Argentina in the last World Cup. Revenge does have its naunces.

Anyway here's the fantasy football league I'm in

http://en.fantasy.euro2004.com/M/table.mc?id=1852

My team's One Armed Samurai. The fates have been kind, though I put the captaincy on the wrong player and have suffered.

The league's created for Missy's lair, but I think they wouldn't mind if you guys joined in. After all, it isn't fun if it's just a few teams competing.

When you've completed your team, join the league "Missy's" using the following code: 7222-1852

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Latvia and the Czech Republic coming up...let's hope 'The Latvian Michael Owen' Marian Pahars does better than his English counterpart.

BTW, how messed up is it that Marian Pahars gets to play in an International tournament and Ryan Giggs STILL HASN'T?????

We were robbed against Russia.

I'm waiting for Italy vs Sweeden. I hope they play Cassano, Fiore and Pirlo (or Gattuso) from the start though.

Yeah, me too! It will be a blast to watch! Zlatan, Ljungberg, Larsson against the likes of Cannavaro and Nesta.. Geez! I still consider Italy as having the best football defenders in the world. Will be fun to see if our offensive force can breach that Italian granite wall.