The All Things Political Topic

Just wondering if we're getting close to the point where US presidential elections justifies its own thread?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential_debate_(September_10,_2024)

This is a little bit of  old news but its confirmed, Trump and Harris in a presidential debate  on 10 September 

Im going to be watching this one especially after the disastrous last one for the  Dems and Bidens terrible performance 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GVodyB4WwAEvXFt.jpg

Lmao

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I first wrote "I've seen healthier looking ghouls in Fallout", but looking at him again gives me pause on just memeing. I'm reminded of when Trump caught Covid for the first time and he made a televised public appearance outside of the hospital he was staying at, visibly struggling to breathe, yet still posturing because of course. Just...stop, I don't want to feel even the slightest amount of pity for you, especially when you're still being a right bastard. This guy is going to die live on television before he'd willingly slink into the shadows, away from the spotlights.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

21 hours ago, Gorth said:

Just wondering if we're getting close to the point where US presidential elections justifies its own thread?

Splitting off a political thing now and then - 2024 US Election - if/as it becomes a prominent subject for weeks/months ... nothing wrong with that imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Splitting off a political thing now and then - 2024 US Election - if/as it becomes a prominent subject for weeks/months ... nothing wrong with that imo.

Yeah, so said, so done

Guys, created a new thread for all things related to the 2024 US presidential election. Please divert posts related to subject to this thread:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2024/8/29/brazils-top-court-threatens-to-ban-elon-musks-x

Brazil threatens to ban Twitter, another great example of a BRICS member demonstrating its  belief  in " making the world a fairer and better place  by giving the global South a seat at the table "  :shrugz:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Getting rid of Twitter would make the world nicer.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg4yg0k976lo 

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/al-qaeda-branch-says-it-killed-300-fighters-not-civilians-burkina-faso-attack-2024-08-29/  

300 civilians have been killed  in a single attack  by insurgents in Burkina Fuso and Russia is pulling out  some Wagner troops to deploy them to Kursk

This is another example of the   failure   around security in this region.  The  French were kicked  out and Wagner was bought in to address the insurgency, the Russian military deployment has been an epic failure and the insurgency has got  worse  since the French left in Niger, Mali  and Burkina Fuso

But the worse  thing about it is the military generals will  continue to stay in power, presiding over failed  states with no future or voice for the citizens because the institutions of Democracy dont exist anymore because these  countries are  ruled  by military Juntas who cant even deliver on there  primary mandate which was about security and stabilizing there  countries

But hey at  least rent  a crowd mobs can burn French flags and wave Russian ones, thats something I guess ?

John Milton 

16 hours ago, Malcador said:

Yes  great idea,  ban Twitter  because you dont like what some  people  say 

Like these admired and prestigious bastions of  freedom and human rights 

China
- North Korea
- Iran
- Russia
- Turkmenistan
- Myanmar
- Venezuela

John Milton 

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Yes  great idea,  ban Twitter  because you dont like what some  people  say 

Like these admired and prestigious bastions of  freedom and human rights 

China
- North Korea
- Iran
- Russia
- Turkmenistan
- Myanmar
- Venezuela

Putting aside a facetious remark, it's also because the site is just garbage and cancerous to thought. And isn't the sole representation of free speech.

On 8/30/2024 at 9:38 AM, Malcador said:

Actually I think Trump is a good model here, make Twitter a containment like whatever Trump's Twitter fork is called and let them spiral in their own containment box. Let them spend hours posting instead of bothering others.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

Putting aside a facetious remark, it's also because the site is just garbage and cancerous to thought. And isn't the sole representation of free speech.

But thats  not  what the post  was about, it was about the banning  of Twitter  in Brazil and this is a  decision that  most authoritarian  and one-party states  take when they decide  to control the flow of information and specifically criticism of the state

Its about the regression of basic freedoms  as  you can see  from the list of countries  that bans Twitter.  You perfectly entitled  to think Twitter is  garbage but it   is often used  constructively,  for example   it functions in many  non-first  countries as a  way for people to  galvanize and organize protest in a legitimate way,  its a medium of freedom of speech and banning it  is never a good  idea because  why would any government feel the need  to ban it?

John Milton 

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-musk-x-suspended-de-moraes-46c9d5c5c895e17d9adfac43e6ac20fd

Further   updates  on the Brazil  Twitter  ban,  this part  summarizes  the issue for  me

"I’ve used VPNs a lot in authoritarian countries like China to continue accessing news sites and social networks,” Maurício Santoro, a political science professor at the State University of Rio de Janeiro, said on the platform before its shutdown. “It never occurred to me that this type of tool would be banned in Brazil. It’s dystopian.”

John Milton 

14 hours ago, HoonDing said:

There are still people of xitter rather than AI bots?

The internet was great before 2005, the advent of antisocial media.

when most site was filled with virus popup ad and finding resource for stuff require slid down 20 minute to hour long rabbit hole

and speed is 200k at best

truly the golden age of Internet

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/young-men-failing-nyu-prof-120743112.html 

https://www.profgalloway.com/boys-to-men/ 

This insight from Scott   Galloway raises  some very real societal  realities in the US around how young men are  marginalized  and discriminated   against both overtly  and covertly in society.  This would  also apply  to  countries  outside the USA 

To summarize his view 

"New York University professor Scott Galloway appeared on “The View” on Thursday, arguing that young men are experiencing a social crisis that is going unnoticed by most of society.

Globally, the cohort that has ascended the fastest is women. There are more women now seeking tertiary education globally than men. The number of women elected to parliaments around the world has doubled in the last 20 years. That’s an enormous mark of our achievement globally. In the United States, there is no cohort that has fallen further faster than young men,” argued Galloway, a professor of marketing at the NYU Stern School of Business. “Four times more likely to kill themselves, three times more likely to be addicted, 12 times more likely to be incarcerated. And because of the advantage that I received as a white heterosexual male and my father received, we have a lack of empathy for them. One out of three men under the age of 30 hasn’t had sex in the last year.”

Its not  an attack on women and gender equality which matters.  Its  an observation on how many modern societies  have abounded  the importance  of also supporting young men

The first link  is a  summary of his views  and the second link is a  much more detailed  analysis of this problem

I would  encourage everyone to  read  both links to understand the concerns he is raising 

John Milton 

12 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But thats  not  what the post  was about, it was about the banning  of Twitter  in Brazil and this is a  decision that  most authoritarian  and one-party states  take when they decide  to control the flow of information and specifically criticism of the state

Its about the regression of basic freedoms  as  you can see  from the list of countries  that bans Twitter.  You perfectly entitled  to think Twitter is  garbage but it   is often used  constructively,  for example   it functions in many  non-first  countries as a  way for people to  galvanize and organize protest in a legitimate way,  its a medium of freedom of speech and banning it  is never a good  idea because  why would any government feel the need  to ban it?

Well, again was a facetious remark. Oh well. I suppose it could have a chilling effect so to speak on speech, but from your other article seems Brazilians are adapting and using the multitude of other social media apps, including some not run by a manchild. 

• Like 1

I'm apparently voting for the same people that former vice president Dick Cheney will be voting for this upcoming election. I really want off this timeline.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Decensored post because the word filters are dumb
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:38 PM, Bartimaeus said:

I'm apparently voting for the same people that former vice president Dick Cheney will be voting for this upcoming election. I really want off this timeline.

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.