Food Thread - Those that eat

Keyrock

I seem to have developed this weird, almost obsession like craving for Danish remoulade... no, I'm not pregnant 😝

A couple of importers offers it for sale in Australia. At a 200-500% markup 😖

So, I did a bit of google search and found what looked like recipes for traditional Danish remoulade. I'll save it on my phone and do a bit of extra looking around next time I get to do some shopping. This is just for a small jar of remoulade for dipping purposes. I want a liter of it! 😎

Just kidding, but I'll buy enough to make plenty of mistakes and hopefully also leaving enough for lasting me a while. I was surprised by the turmeric, as I'm sure some of the industrial stuff I remember, used something like madras curry for colouring it bright yellow (like hi viz vest yellow)

Ingredients

3 tbsp mayonnaise, (good quality)
    1 tbsp sour cream (about 18%)
    1 tbsp carrots, (finely chopped)
    1 tbsp pointed cabbage (Murdoc cabbage) (finely chopped) (or other crisp cabbage)
    1 tbsp gherkins (finely chopped)
    1 tbsp chives (finely chopped)
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp red onions (finely chopped)
    1 tsp strong mustard
    1 tsp turmeric adjust according to color preference
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    Pepper to taste

Instructions

Prepare all the vegetables.
    In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Add extra turmeric if you want a stronger color. Add extra salt and pepper to taste.
    Let your homemade remoulade rest in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Gorth the remoulade looks intriguing and we might give it a go ourself. the lack o' garlic might be a deal breaker, but is worth a shot anyways. 

jic you wanna make your own mayo, 'cause is ez. aside, we left out 1tsp o' dijon mustard from o' our personal recipe for mayo in the linked post. 

am actual most intrigued by the effective mirepoix o' onion, carrot and cabbage in your remoulade recipe. celery is... aggressive. we like celery. unfortunate, traditional mirepoix often results in too much celery flavour. reduce celery is always an option, but am curious if cabbage would work in lieu o' celery for dishes which have a mild flavour profile. 'course the sulfides in cabbage is also a potential hurdle. regardless, am likely to experiment with cabbage as a celery substitute in mirepoix thanks to your remoulade queries. so, thanks.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be making makowiec tonight. I'm not looking forward to doing it because it's a lot of work and a lot of mess to clean up, there's a reason this is a dessert that's usually only made for special occasions, but, well, it's Xmas, I think this qualifies. I'm going all out with rum raisins, chopped walnuts as a topping, and a sugar glaze (mainly to stick the nuts to the makowiec). My kitchen is going to look like a disaster area.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

years past we wondered if the poppy seed stuff were more urban myth than reality, but at one point we were contemplating going the jag route with our career, and at the time we were warned verbal and by written notice via a memo from the under secretary of defense that we should refrain from any poppy seed consumption before our anticipated urinalysis.

at the very least, the US department of defense took poppy seed impact 'pon drug test results with impressive seriousness. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I STRONGLY suspect that the amount of poppy seeds one would need to consume and the shortness of the period of time one would need to consume them in to fail a drug test is so absurd that it's effectively (but not theoretically) impossible. I base this on the fact that I have never, ever, EVER

in my 47 years on this planet heard of, whether in a historical account, a police record, or even an anecdote in passing, anyone failing a drug test because of poppy seed consumption.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

according to the department of defense, the reality is opposite o' keyrock assumption. the tests is so sensitive that an absurd small amount o' poppy seeds has the potential for resulting in a positive for codeine/morphine/opioids.

HA! Good Fun!

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

according to the department of defense

The department of defense says a lot of things, I believe very few of them. I mean, if you take the DoD's story about poppy seeds at face value then I'm glad I got a hold of you because I have some important information about your car's expiring warranty...

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

14 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

The department of defense says a lot of things, I believe very few of them. I mean, if you take the DoD's story about poppy seeds at face value then I'm glad I got a hold of you because I have some important information about your car's expiring warranty...

assuming dod is wrong 'bout drug test impacts 'cause o' your feelings is less than compelling. seeing as how dod runs one o' the largest drug testing programs on the planet, at the very least they got experience as well as considerable resources... and no obvious reason to mislead prospective test takers. am not seeing any potential for a conspiracy theory regarding dod pushing a poppy seed myth, but am admitting our imagination is much more limited than a few boardies.

HA! Good Fun!

34 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

assuming dod is wrong 'bout drug test impacts 'cause o' your feelings is less than compelling. seeing as how dod runs one o' the largest drug testing programs on the planet, at the very least they got experience as well as considerable resources... and no obvious reason to mislead prospective test takers. am not seeing any potential for a conspiracy theory regarding dod pushing a poppy seed myth, but am admitting our imagination is much more limited than a few boardies.

HA! Good Fun!

****ING LIARS

It's not about my feelings, if you actually read my previous post and comprehended what it wrote you would have seen that. Yes, I have heard the wives tale about people failing a drug test due to poppy seeds, i have no doubt that there is a tiny sliver of truth in said wives tale (as there is in most wives tales). That said, I have ZERO evidence of anyone ever failing a drug test due to poppy seeds. It's probably happened at some point because it's theoretically possible, if you scour the interwebs long enough it's likely that you could find some deep buried example of a guy going on a hardcore binge of poppy seed related consumables and failing a drug test. The fact that I have zero knowledge of anyone EVER failing a drug test for poppy seeds off the top of my head, not even a tall tale from drunken friends (I've been told many stories, some believable, some completely ridiculous, and in all that time not a single person has ever tried to pass off a tale of poppy seed drug fail. Not one ever from the THOUSANDS of stories I've been told.), and a cursory google search reveals nothing except a bunch of articles stating "well, it's TECHNICALLY possible to fail a drug test because of poppy seeds" without ever giving a concrete example, gives me all the information I need to conclude that a person failing a drug test due to poppy seed consumption, while possible, is an EXTRAORDINARILY rare event. And yes, that flies in the face of what the DoD told you. That's because those people are ****ING LIARS. There are literal military departments in most, if not all, countries' militaries that are devoted to propaganda. They called them spymasters in the olden days.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

we did read your post. assuming the dod would lie about poppy seed impact 'cause o' your feelings is not logical or reasonable. you mention military propaganda as axiomatic w/o tying propaganda to the specific issue in question: poppy seed impact on drug tests. keyrock being convinced the dod lies does not in anyway make it more convincing that the dod would lie about poppy seed impact on drug tests.

and in the ridiculous amount o' time spent responding to Gromnir, no doubt key coulda/shoulda checked to see if nih, mayo and numerous university studies weighed in on the subject 'stead o' defending the otherwise indefensible.  but they are all in on the fix too, yes? is how conspiracy works, yes?

sadly personal anecdotal experience trumping science and experts is not just a key problem. 

so it goes.

aside, curious, our earlier comment that poppy seeds results in false positives for opioids appears to be only partial true. fentanyl, methadone, hydromorphone, and oxymorphone, as examples, is opioids but apparent the wrong kinda opioids for urinalysis detection confusion. extreme small quantities o' poppy seeds can result in false positives for codeine morphine and heroin as well as other opioids not previous mentioned, but  is a whole slew o' factors involved in the resulting false positive results including but not limited to baking techniques and poppy seed country of origin. am mentioning 'cause is info key coulda' learned but chose not to.

am having had this discussion too many times, personal anecdotal experience while not complete worthless, is the most suspect category o' evidence. 

go to ~13:00

eyewitness testimony and personal anecdotal is the least reliable evidence available.  is how we get the overlap o' flat earthers and anti-maskers, right?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

The fact that in all my years I've never heard a single tale of poppy seed drug fail proves nothing, but in my mind it's plenty evidence enough that such an event is EXTREMELY unlikely. I've been told so many tales in my life, some relatively reasonable, some kind of hard to believe, and some completely ludicrous. It's EXCEEDINGLY likely that if people failing drug tests because of poppy seeds was even remotely approaching commonplace event that I, or someone I know, would have heard SOMETHING about that, other than the wives tale itself. I've heard NOTHING, complete radio silence.

If this is such a commonplace event, can you honestly give me a single example of a person you know that failed a drug test due to poppy seeds? I ask because not a single person EVER has given me such an example. No one. Nobody. Not a single example. Not one. At this point Sasquach is more likely to exist in my mind than a failed poppy seed drug test. At least I've seen "footage of a Sasquach" even if it was fake as ****.

This is more convincing evidence of Sasquach than anything I have ever heard or seen about poppy seed drug fails:

Also, your example to debunk me was Neil deGrasse Tyson?

nicholas-cage-laughing.gif

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Drug tests or no, poppy seeds are mid at best and good cinnamon rolls will destroy any poppy seed roll.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Here's the finished makowiec:

3zzHI5O.jpeg

Now that I've posted this picture I expect, if @Gromniris correct, the US Army to kick down my door and point M16s (not the really questionable NSGWs that I doubt will ever be formally adopted) in my face. If you don't hear from me for a while you can assume I'm being anally raped in Gitmo.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

46 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Also, your example to debunk me was Neil deGrasse Tyson?

nicholas-cage-laughing.gif

same fail and is representative o' your earlier dod error. you aren't rebutting the astrophysicist but instead substitute your distaste for the speaker without offering any kinda meaningful alternative argument to mr. tyson. 

and not recognizing the problem with being convinced by your personal anecdotal experience is why some people drive while intoxicated and no doubt explains your evolution regarding masks during covid. is flawed. 

most o' the folks we know who has failed drug tests had known drug issues, so even if they had claimed poppy seeds were at fault is unlikely we woulda' believed 'em... and folks such as Gromnir who were warned 'bout poppy seeds beforehand did exercised diligence and avoided such ingredients for the time required. the possible victims o' the poppy seed problem we would likely meet is thus exceeding limited. would hardly be shocking we know zero. also, and this should not come as a shock, even if somebody told us they failed a drug test due to poppy seeds, there is a good chance we would not take their word on the matter even if we trusted 'em personal. 'cause people not only lie, but they get confused and misread all the time. 

example:

we took a friend to an oncologist to get the results o' a biopsy. she was as clear-headed, well educated and rational person as you are ever likely to meet. somewhat surprised, she asked that we sit in with her as the doctor gave her the results, just for emotional support. made us uncomfortable to do so, but she were a friend and curiously she didn't want a family member with her in case the news were bad.

am not sure what she heard as the doctor explained how many lymph nodes showed signs o' cancer and that she were stage iv, but Gromnir was with her as she asked relevant and meaningful questions o' the surgeon and seemed aware o' her situation. when our friend walked out o' the office she exhaled audible and said she were relived to get good news, which stopped us dead in our tracks.

Gromnir told our friend she should immediate go back into the office and tell the doctor what she had just said to us. 

people can see and hear what they expect or want to hear in spite o' reality.

regardless, given how we understand the pitfalls o' anecdotal and eye witness evidence, why would we believe anecdotal as 'posed to rigorous lab testing by multiple sources with numerous controls to exclude all those secondary and tertiary issues which makes anecdotal so suspect? 

you keep making the same fail over and over. is less and less a surprise as to why you fall victim to conspiracy.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

@GromnirYou keep giving me examples of completely unrelated things to "prove your point". I'm going to ask you again, give me one example of a person you personally know that has failed a drug test due to poppy seeds. I'm only asking for one example. Just one. No one has ever been able to give me one ever. EVER. Are you proposing that I should believe something based on ZERO actual evidence? If there is evidence then let's see it. Show me the evidence. Show me someone failing a drug test due to poppy seeds. 

Anyway, I'm soon going to eat the $#!+ out of this makowiec. We'll find out soon enough if I serve time in a federal prison getting raped with a broomstick. Given that I've eaten copious amounts of makowiec in my life with zero consequences (not even an upset tummy), I'm going to go ahead an issue this spoiler:

Keyrock suffered no ill effects from eating the delicious makowiec. @Gromnir was questioned for spreading dubious rumours.  @PK htiw klaw eriF was arrested and executed for spreading malicious lies.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

have already explained the flaw o' requiring a personal example be provided. we cannot give an example o' a person we know who has died from cancer due to exposure to toxic waste, so is not real, yes? is innumerable unfortunates we has no personal experience regarding-- thank goodness. 

converse, even if we met a person who claimed they had suffered cancer due to toxic waste exposure, we would not immediate take their word that such were the cause. 

however, if a bunch o' medical experts agreed and dod admitted that exposure o' servicemen and their families at camp lejeune led to suffering a host o' ailments, chances are we would believe such were the case, even though we personal have never met anybody who became ill at camp lejeune.

duh.

aside unless key is active military, the army wouldn't have jurisdiction or authority to break down his door save for exigent circumstances. being a conspiracy theorists who likes to bake is so not exigent circumstances in 2023.  your pictured makowiec looks rather nice, so am doubtful the army sees it or you as an immediate threat so dire to national security that they could explain their trespass and am even more baffled by why gitmo would be the site o' your incarceration. we thought you were a US citizen. you still on vacation? a non american citizen arrested not on american soil maybe goes to gitmo. 

for the nonce we will assume key is a non citizen... or just talking out his keister.

HA! Good Fun!

35 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

have already explained the flaw o' requiring a personal example be provided. we cannot give an example o' a person we know who has died from cancer due to exposure to toxic waste, so is not real, yes? is innumerable unfortunates we has no personal experience regarding-- thank goodness. 

If it was just you then I would be inclined to agree with you, but it's not just you. NOBODY has EVER been able to give me such an example. Not one person. EVER. We're talking thousands and thousands and thousands of people I've had interactions with, in a dozen different countries on 4 different continents. And you're not the first person I've asked to give me a specific example of this, I have asked this exact question before and nobody has ever been able to give me an affirmative example. NOBODY. Again, that doesn't prove anything, but given the sheer amount of tales I've been told in my life about the most mundane stuff you can imagine and about completely ridiculous stuff and everything in between, dozens of times over, in many cases, just from a purely statistical standpoint, it stands to reason that if poppy seed drug fails were an event that was even slightly somewhat approaching commonplace, I would have heard something, anything about it. I have not. That doesn't prove it's not real, in fact I posit that it's real, but what I'm saying is that it's extremely rare. My argument of "this is not a real thing because I have no evidence for it" which I never made but you seem to be arguing against anyway is false but the argument of "this is a real thing because I have no evidence against it" is just as false. Neither of these arguments can be definitively proven. What I'm talking about is statistical probability and what the fact that nobody has been able to ever give me any evidence whatsoever for a failed poppy seed drug test tells me is that the statistical probability of such a thing happening is quite low. Not impossible but highly improbable.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

am doubting poppy seed test fails is something 'bout which key asks everybody he has met.

*insert eye roll*

is so not an ordinary subject o' conversation for Gromnir, but we can't speak to key.

that said, particular about such stuff as failed drug tests, people is not always honest or knowledgeable enough to answer accurate.

so, when many reputable scientific sources, as well as the dod which does more drug tests than just about anybody, warns that poppy seed ingestion can lead to false positives, the smart thing to do is ignore the dod, mayo clinic and numerous universities until you personal meet somebody who has failed a test 'cause o' poppy seeds. 'cause the dod is inherently trustworthy, (fill in the blank.) don't need to come up with a reason why the dod and all those namby pamby science jerks would lie about poppy seeds, 'cause for key, absence o' personal anecdotal evidence is evidence of absence o' a problem... which is so arse backwards it beggars the imagination.

venn diagram o' flat earthers and people who refuse to believe poppy seeds may lead to false positive drug test results.

venn diagram of flat earthers and __________.

am no longer shocked that americans fall for conspiracy.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: dod does more drug tests... not just that dod does more drug(s)... which is likely also true, but nevertheless...

Edited by Gromnir

19 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am doubting poppy seed test fails is something 'bout which key asks everybody he has met.

I never wrote everybody but I have asked multiple people. Four, if you want the exact number. It's not even about the people I have specifically asked, though that is a more direct way of finding out, it's the fact that supposedly, according to the DoD, according to you, poppy seed failed drug tests are relatively common (because the DoD's test is soooooooooooooooooo sensitive). Yet there is a complete lack of anyone ever having failed one of these super duper sensitive tests. I guess you just can't understand statistical probability, I shouldn't have assumed. My bad. 

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

four? so in reality, the number o' untrustworthy personal and anecdotal accounts is reduced from thousands to... four? and you honest think four is a large enough sample size to judge credibility o'... just about anything?  for chrissakes, four ain't nowhere near enough to come up with coin toss probabilities.

1qhxcg.jpg?a472440

Again, I never said it was impossible just highly improbable. Which part of highly improbable do you not understand? And if it's not highly improbable than how come nobody. NOBODY. Not you, not anyone else, can give me even a single example? If something is thought to be theoretically possible yet there is no example of it ever happening given by anyone ever, I would say that's the definition of highly improbable. That's what I've been saying the entire time, highly improbable. There is zero evidence to the contrary. ZERO.

Yes, It's theoretically possible that you could fail a drug test because of consuming too many poppy seeds. It's also theoretically possible that the speed of light is variable and that white holes are a thing. We don't have any evidence of those things either.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"NOBODY. Not you, not anyone else, can give me even a single example?"

"nobody" is misleading. were in fact four. you only bothered to ask four, at which point you had arrived at your conclusion?  relying on four people (not four studies by reputable scientific authorities getting peer review, but four randos you know,) lead you to the conclusion that the basis o' the dod warnings is highly improbable. 

dude.

thanks. typical going this far on a silly message board produces serious diminishing returns, but in this case, the juice were worth the squeeze. is even better 'cause you still don't recognize a problem with your position.

HA! Good Fun!

There is no problem with my position, my position is correct. My position is that failing a drug test due to poppy seeds is highly improbable. All the evidence supports my position. If you don't have enough working brain cells to understand that then there's nothing I can do for you, and quite frankly nothing I would do for you even if given the chance.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"All the evidence supports my position."

four people you spoke to and your personal experience is all the evidence

200w.gif

ps the internet does not make it difficult to find actual examples, although one need assume there is far more false fails as 'posed to false-fails which produce litigation and media coverage. literal can't sue the fed govt for a false fail drug test resulting in no employment. in most cases there is few options for the victim o' false fails. however, the stories which get attention and are actionable are mothers o' newborns who get labeled  drug users and are separated from their child and then need prove they aren't drug users... which is not so easy. prove a negative? regardless, is not difficult for a person with working brain cells to find such stories via their favorite search engine.

Edited by Gromnir