It could be argued that this doesn't warrant its own thread, but it doesn't really fit into any existing thread. Also, I just really wanted to use that thread title because I'm juvenile like that. Worth it, in my opinion.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

114W idle power draw

u wot

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well now, that is roughly the idle consumption of a 7900XTX, to be fair. Though the XTX obviously has a bit more... oomph when not idling.

If it actually is a fully home grown card it isn't that bad of an effort. Rather like Intel it'd not doubt improve if they were able to fix up the drivers.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Well now, that is roughly the idle consumption of a 7900XTX, to be fair. Though the XTX obviously has a bit more... oomph when not idling.

If it actually is a fully home grown card it isn't that bad of an effort. Rather like Intel it'd not doubt improve if they were able to fix up the drivers.

I think they did finally end up fixing that...months later, since more recent re-tests I just searched for seem to suggest much more reasonable numbers only mildly higher compared to their Nvidia equivalents. But, well, obviously the MTT's entire suite of issues is driver-related, so...I guess since they're a new player, instead of several months of leniency, probably several years would be fairer. If they ever get competitive, we'll surely hear about it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think they did finally end up fixing that...months later, since more recent re-tests I just searched for seem to suggest much more reasonable numbers only mildly higher compared to their Nvidia equivalents. But, well, obviously the MTT's entire suite of issues is driver-related, so...I guess since they're a new player, instead of several months of leniency, probably several years would be fairer. If they ever get competitive, we'll surely hear about it.

As long as you don't have multiple 4k displays, yes. Then we're still talking like 94 watts idle power draw according to very recent tests by a German hardware magazine. Information is a couple of days old though by now.

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 4 months later...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/loongson-launches-3a6000-cpu-matches-14600k-ipc

tl:dr - While the overall performance is still a bit lacking due to low clock speed, this is still pretty impressive performance given how far behind they were just a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks