annoying little sayings...

to the guys at obsidian, please, and i mean PLEASE dont add those sayings that your party says as they fight. when i player kotor, carth would keep saying 'here it is', over and over like a broken record!!! and if the fight was long, youd keep hearing it. its not like people like to repeat themselves while they fight, it would be more realistic.

to the guys at obsidian, please, and i mean PLEASE dont add those sayings that your party says as they fight. when i player kotor, carth would keep saying 'here it is', over and over like a broken record!!! and if the fight was long, youd keep hearing it. its not like people like to repeat themselves while they fight, it would be more realistic.

The one I remember is 'Down you go!' and Mission's 'Just die already!'

I agree, hearing them over and over makes them rather annoying. But it was never any big deal....anymore than hearing 'Buttkicking for Goodness!'

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Some more variety and originality in battle cries would be nice, yes. But the most annoying saying in the game to me was how 80% of the intra-party dialogues ended with some variation on "We should get back to the task at hand."

Some more variety and originality in battle cries would be nice, yes.  But the most annoying saying in the game to me was how 80% of the intra-party dialogues ended with some variation on "We should get back to the task at hand."

Seconded.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

same goes for opponents.

...if my NPCs concentrated on FIGHTING instead of mumbling crap, it'd actually be worth tagging them along.

"down you go!"

"no i don't!"

"down you go!"

"no i don't!"

"down you go!"

"no i don't! why are you repeating yourself like that? you think, you're a jedi or something?"

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they could pay the voice actors an extra day's salary to record more than one one-liner for each character?

Insert a script to randomize from a selection of inane battle cries?

Maybe?

I would love to hear a Mandelorean-esque character call out

"Go for the eyes, Boo!"

I don't think it would help to just add more lines, unless you added a LOT more lines. They'd still get repetitive. I think the option to stop party chatter outside of dialogue mode should be in.

Fourth wall? I'm unfamiliar with the term, though it sounds vaguely familiar.

I don't think it would help to just add more lines, unless you added a LOT more lines. They'd still get repetitive. I think the option to stop party chatter outside of dialogue mode should be in.

Fourth wall? I'm unfamiliar with the term, though it sounds vaguely familiar.

2 is still better than one. 4 than 3...7 than 5...etc, ect, etc. They're such small snippets they could add dozens per character. And...How many takes did it take to get "Down you go"?

The 'fourth wall' is a theatre term. It's the imaginary barrier between the actors and the audience. Imagine if you were watching Hamlet and suddenly the actor playing Hamlet looked you right in the eye and said, "What a nice shirt you're wearing." He would be breaking the forth wall.

This is usually a very bad thing to do because entertainment requires the willing suspension of disbelief. When you break the fourth wall you're tapping the audience on the shoulder and reminding them that nothing is really happening. The hero isn't really in danger, the beautiful princess isn't really in love with him, and the evil villain hasn't done anything wrong. This can be jarring to the audience and decrease or remove the sympathetic bond between the audience and the protagonist.

There are instances were breaking the forth wall is valid, typically because the audience isn't treated as the audience but a part of the character's world/consciousness or when done through an emissary. A good example of the first is in Moll Flanders; Moll, the protagonist, steals the locket of a young girl who's wandering the streets, lost and alone. She then rushes away while the camera is pointed at her face and suddenly looks up and begins to address the audience, first making excuses for her actions and then demanding to know who we think we are to judge her, the scene ends with her shoving the camera to the ground and running off. This works because the story is essentially a confession. It begins with filthy Moll Flanders in jail, awaiting her execution, and telling the story of her life to a bunch of gawkiers.

A good example of the second is in Enchanted Ella, a narrator speaks to the audience at the beginning of the film to introduce the story and the point out the 'moral' that will be addressed.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Ahh, so were you talking about removing voice acting and making the battle cries generic? Yeah, it wouldn't help anything for a game that tried to be cinematic, story and ESPECIALLY character driven. Fallout was a good game, but this isn't fallout. That game didn't have writing of the same style (note: I don't mean calibur), and it had very little VO compared to KotOR. It did what it did well.

Additional improves, yes, but it doesn't really make it less annoying. You still have repitition, even if it takes a little longer for you to get tired of it. Thus, I'm not arguing against it - but nothing short of 20 hours of variation or an option to turn off battle cries would really solve the problem. I can't imagine how they'd manage 20 hours of variation, though, unless each combat cry were based off of very specific situations.

That said, I didn't notice that much. I'm pretty good at tuning that stuff out.

Yes, just like I'm a f***'in bigot and think george bush hates all muslims.

You feel like arguing what style it was written in? I don't really care. Maybe I'll try to explain myself, and you'll start over-analyzing and get really condescending about how I'm trying to condescend YOU.

It's fixed. No more, "fallout doesn't have serious writing." I'll remember to be completely PC on this forum from now on... though to be honest, it's getting hard to tell what politically correct IS.