Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Part 6

bugarup

7 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Maybe it's because of mods, but after the recent update the game crashes on me when I try to use Inquisitor Judgments or Aeon Gazes. Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to try to do an Aeon Inquisitor without mods to see if I can replicate.

I ended up disabling all mods and starting an Aeon Inquisitor in Inevitable Excess. Unfortunately the game still crashes when I try to use Enforcing Gazes or Judgments. Maybe bad news for @Sarex's monk.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wonder if Camelia is going to stick around in my Lich play. I suspect if I turn all "skeletal" at some point, she'll just decide, that there are more entertaining things to do with her time 😁

Some paths have a companion that won't stick around if you stick with it... but that's

..not one you have to worry about.

Lich - Seelah

Demon - Arue

Aeon - Camellia

Trickster - Regill

Edited by ShadySands
Not 100% on Trickster because I can't stick with it
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Regill stays for both Trickster and Azata.

@Gorth

Well if you're doing vidya romance with Camy-chan

Spoiler

Bone dad makes you asks you to kill her, or anyone else you're romancing, to become a Lich. If you refuse to kill her she dumps you afterwards. The Lich doesn't get to....bone.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Regill stays for both Trickster and Azata.

@Gorth

Well if you're doing vidya romance with Camy-chan

Reveal hidden contents

Bone dad makes you asks you to kill her, or anyone else you're romancing, to become a Lich. If you refuse to kill her she dumps you afterwards. The Lich doesn't get to....bone.

Regill didn’t stick around for my trickster game, but my barbarian was also very chaotic. He didn’t seem to appreciate that 😂

I’ll probably miss Seelah and her trusty steed Sybian, but that is Ok. I might still not be lawful enough for Regill when the time comes. He’s already being pushy, I have to go meet his buddies. I would like to keep him and his raptor mount (“Raptus”) around a bit longer this time 🤔

• Gasp! 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

58 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I’ll probably miss Seelah and her trusty steed Sybian

You naughty Gorth :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Regill didn’t stick around for my trickster game, but my barbarian was also very chaotic. He didn’t seem to appreciate that 😂

Regill was around for the entirety of my trickster run. I was quite chaotic, a knife master, but not evil. I wonder what the triggers are.

Btw, I learned that a knife master is not that much fun, in terms of loot: right at the start, you're already set for what you're looking for and what works for you, in terms of weapons. Takes a whole lotta fun out of it, I found.

Edited by xzar_monty

Went in to see if anything crashes and just was about to report that "It works on my machine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" when I remembered I rolled back the patch.  Noticed another interesting thing, though - my party kills possibly a bit better and saves against all bullsh†t certainly better. Guess that big huge tl;dr patch fixed some of never-worked-from-the-start modifiers or something. 

Tried to recreate an IWD2 party in Pathfinder, just to play with some builds and preview what a full custom party would look like. I made a Paladin Divine Guardian, turned a Rogue into a Slayer Executioner and a Cleric into an Oracle. Not sure how well these decisions would be without playing for some time.*

My sorcerer would be the main character, Crossblooded Gold Dragon, with maximized fire damage. Looks good enough. The Barbarian I turned into a Hunter 1/Bloodrider 19, the Hunter level so I could have a boar. Not enough hit points, but besides that looks interesting.

Finally, I wanted a Druid with Ascendant Electricity. Tried a Mystic Theurge and the animal companion became useless. So I made another one (Druid 16) and gave the character three levels of Loremaster to learn Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning and a level of Crossblooded. Boon Companion made up for the loss of Animal Companion levels.

In the end, I had a Boar, a Horse, a Mastodon and a Wolf. Made most of them pick the Bully subclass for trip (dogs, wolves and leopards are not my favorite animal companions in the game).

Also learned that I can't increase an animal companion's level with Toy Box for whatever reason. For my Trickster run I was considering a Sylvan Sorcerer 9/Rogue 1/Arcane Trickster, with a raptor. It would be level 13 so I considered leveling it up with Toy Box. Not an option then. I wouldn't mind picking Boon Companion twice, if there was a mod for that. Now I'll have to choose between having a weak animal, abandoning it completely or not picking Arcane Trickster.

*Just saw that the Divine Guardian loses the ability to cast spells. Not sure if it's worth it.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

56 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

*Just saw that the Divine Guardian loses the ability to cast spells. Not sure if it's worth it.

Nope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Tried to recreate an IWD2 party in Pathfinder, just to play with some builds and preview what a full custom party would look like. I made a Paladin Divine Guardian, turned a Rogue into a Slayer Executioner and a Cleric into an Oracle. Not sure how well these decisions would be without playing for some time.*

My sorcerer would be the main character, Crossblooded Gold Dragon, with maximized fire damage. Looks good enough. The Barbarian I turned into a Hunter 1/Bloodrider 19, the Hunter level so I could have a boar. Not enough hit points, but besides that looks interesting.

Finally, I wanted a Druid with Ascendant Electricity. Tried a Mystic Theurge and the animal companion became useless. So I made another one (Druid 16) and gave the character three levels of Loremaster to learn Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning and a level of Crossblooded. Boon Companion made up for the loss of Animal Companion levels.

In the end, I had a Boar, a Horse, a Mastodon and a Wolf. Made most of them pick the Bully subclass for trip (dogs, wolves and leopards are not my favorite animal companions in the game).

Also learned that I can't increase an animal companion's level with Toy Box for whatever reason. For my Trickster run I was considering a Sylvan Sorcerer 9/Rogue 1/Arcane Trickster, with a raptor. It would be level 13 so I considered leveling it up with Toy Box. Not an option then. I wouldn't mind picking Boon Companion twice, if there was a mod for that. Now I'll have to choose between having a weak animal, abandoning it completely or not picking Arcane Trickster.

I think if you go into the features tab on your character, you'll see Animal Companion with a number next to it. Try increasing that to see if it increases the animal companion level. If you're down with cheating and mods....there's a feat for Cavaliers in TTT that makes animal companions scale with character level called Horse Master.

Also, if you can wait Trickster gives you 2d6 sneak attack at MR3 so you can qualify for Arcane Trickster right after getting it without taking a Rogue dip. If you respec class levels you can max Arcane Trickster by level 14 with a sorcerer.

Divine Guardian isn't worth it. Paladin spells contain useful personal buffs that outweigh whatever the non-caster Paladins get in return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Divine Guardian isn't worth it. Paladin spells contain useful personal buffs that outweigh whatever the non-caster Paladins get in return.

That depends. If you run a mercenary, Divine Troth can be worth it, as long as you do something else with the nine leftover levels. As a main character? :no:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 hours ago, majestic said:

That depends. If you run a mercenary, Divine Troth can be worth it, as long as you do something else with the nine leftover levels. As a main character? :no:

Maybe it could work with the infamous Scaled Fist and Nature Oracle dips to create a tough frontline support/tank but I think that +4 AC and a single damage redirect per round isn't going to save the fragile backline from an archer gang who won initiative, nor is it a good trade for spells.

On 7/31/2023 at 3:14 AM, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I ended up disabling all mods and starting an Aeon Inquisitor in Inevitable Excess. Unfortunately the game still crashes when I try to use Enforcing Gazes or Judgments. Maybe bad news for @Sarex's monk.

They fixed it in the latest patch.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:

They fixed it in the latest patch.

I'll test it tonight, I looked at the notes and Aeon isn't mentioned though.

26 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I'll test it tonight, I looked at the notes and Aeon isn't mentioned though.

I have dyslexia it seems. I read it as Aeon judgment instead of inquisitor...

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I have dyslexia it seems. I read it as Aeon judgment instead of inquisitor...

They work similarly and had the same issue, so it could very well be that Owlcat forgot to include the notes. Either way I'll let yall know when I get off work.

• Thanks 1

Finally completed my first (Angel) run through the game yesterday. Successfully completed the full secret ending.

I liked the story very much. Sure, their writing could use some work, perhaps even a lot of work, but the story itself I found to be both interesting and compelling. It was a good story. I also liked most of our companions and generated the best endings for all of them except of course Camellia and Wenduag. And even those two ended up only with incomplete endings and not "bad" endings. And even the NPCs with ending slides all came out really well. I found the crusade management side of the game to be quite fine when using the lowest difficulty setting. It was even fun to build up my armies and then go around smashing demon armies. And with respect to spellcasting and buffing, those late-game feats that extend the duration of spells to 24 hours are *perfect*. I made sure all my casters got those feats, and once they were in place buffing became a breeze. Just one round of buffing casting was sufficient all the way to the next resting.

All in all a fun, great experience with the game. I more than got my money's worth, including money spent on the two DLC season passes. Looking forward to Azata, Aeon, and Legend runs in the future.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think if you go into the features tab on your character, you'll see Animal Companion with a number next to it. Try increasing that to see if it increases the animal companion level. If you're down with cheating and mods....there's a feat for Cavaliers in TTT that makes animal companions scale with character level called Horse Master.

I'm traveling right now, but I'll check it later. What I remember is a button to increase the animals' level and it didn't work.

23 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Also, if you can wait Trickster gives you 2d6 sneak attack at MR3 so you can qualify for Arcane Trickster right after getting it without taking a Rogue dip. If you respec class levels you can max Arcane Trickster by level 14 with a sorcerer.

Good to know. That would make the animal companion Level 14 in the end. Perhaps I wouldn't need to cheat at all.

sign.jpg

33 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'm traveling right now, but I'll check it later. What I remember is a button to increase the animals' level and it didn't work.

Good to know. That would make the animal companion Level 14 in the end. Perhaps I wouldn't need to cheat at all.

Yeah I think that the button you're talking about only works for characters because it runs off xp, which animal companions don't use. Mythic Rank does work, so if you want mythic companions you can do it that way.

I'd still lean towards cheating if you're ok with it, I think animal companions have their natural armor and stat bonuses tied to their level in which case you'd be down a substantial amount of AC. If you want to play it fair-ish, you can take Boon Companion as a feat and add in Horse Master via Toybox so it'll act like you skipped the Caviler feature prerequisite that Horse Master has. As an even more cheating alternative, you can play around with an interpretation of Free Archetype from 2e and take Arcane Trickster as a gestalt. Though with +10 CL (you may have to uncap caster level, luckily Toybox has this option) and all the goodies from levels 11-20 of Sylvan Sorcerer you will be substantially stronger, like half a Legend with all the Trickster goodies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Finally completed my first (Angel) run through the game yesterday. [...]

I also liked most of our companions and generated the best endings for all of them except of course Camellia and Wenduag.

I remember when you were at a rather early stage in the game, playing an Angel, and wondering about Camellia, perhaps even as a possible romance interest (though I'm not sure about the last part).

I don't know what your expectations were, but I'm pretty sure Camellia didn't turn out to be the kind of person an Angel would happily go for a hot chocolate and a cookie with. 😛

16 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Maybe it could work with the infamous Scaled Fist and Nature Oracle dips to create a tough frontline support/tank but I think that +4 AC and a single damage redirect per round isn't going to save the fragile backline from an archer gang who won initiative, nor is it a good trade for spells.

Maybe, but I was thinking about a mounted mercenary with ideal stats using Smite and Mark of Justice to charge for insane damage. Sohei if you want Flurry, Gendarme if not. Well, 17 levels is a bit late, so when that Flurry comes in, it is barely necessary any more.

Still can do it with a regular Paladin, of course. But there's a whole lot of overlap with other available divine magic anyway. :)

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

Maybe, but I was thinking about a mounted mercenary with ideal stats using Smite and Mark of Justice to charge for insane damage. Sohei if you want Flurry, Gendarme if not. Well, 17 levels is a bit late, so when that Flurry comes in, it is barely necessary any more.

Still can do it with a regular Paladin, of course. But there's a whole lot of overlap with other available divine magic anyway. :)

Stop making me tempted to try building stuff lmao.

I've done some testing and at least with my modded game (which has several "fixes" to make it inline with pnp as well as additions), charging specific things besides the Fabled Hero's Lance don't apply on subsequent attacks when pouncing. So if we want the crazy damage we're looking at stacking up stuff for that single charge, for my modded game I'd float a full Gendarme worshipping Gorum using Greatswords and Vital Strike as the best way to do this. One of the things added is Gorum's Divine Fighting Technique, which applies Vital Strike on a charge. Stacked together you're adding x4 the damage roll from Gendarme and Spirited Charge along with the Greater Mythic Vital Strike. Using this with Bloody Red Cleaver outcompetes the Fabled Hero's Lance by a bit on the initial hit, and the 6d6 (the greatsword beats the lance by 2d6 using enlarge shenanigans) from subsequent attacks doesn't make up for it. Mythic paths will obviously complicate things and all that, but it was a fun thot experiment to play with it.

Again this is all with mods so it may not be applicable to any vanilla builds, but I highly reccomend Tabletop Tweaks to everyone who has played the game or wants to play it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Stop making me tempted to try building stuff lmao.

In an unmodded base game, transmutation effects stack even though they should not. If you cast Reduce Person on a Halfling before casting Frightful Aspect on them, you can put them on enlarged mounts other than horses, so you could try Beast Rider for some more fun setups.

Thank me later. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1