Anime and Manga - It's time for you to finish what you've started and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

InsaneCommander

D7L5akYXkAA9pav.png

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

55 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

a22.gif

705.gif

• Confused 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

For something close to two years now Neflix has tried to get me to watch 天気の子. It stopped for a bit when Netflix lost the rights (and around that time, Amazon Prime Video began to tell me that I would probably like watching it), then they apparently got them back, the shilling resumed, and now it basically begged me to. With their sort of 'new' system of marking something as a favorite instead of just liking it, the algorithm proudly declared that I should really, really, really enjoy watching Weathering With You. Plus, it said, the rights to the film will go away in January. 

So, I finally relented. 

Normally I'd do a longer post, but I'm not exactly in the mood to find more posting bugs. The forum almost killed a post of of mine earlier today where I found out that simply quoting already existing text is enough to cause it to spaz out again, however, it's not entirely reproducable. I've tried quoting the affected passages again, and it worked. It's taking the fun out of posting, and it is a pretty bad show that it takes so long to even address the issue - never mind fixing it. Looks like Obsidian gave their entire staff off for Christmas. 

Well, perhaps I'm just bitter because I did not get any time off. :p 

Oh, right, the film. I do not entirely understand why all the character models in modern anime films are looking so similar to each other.

0bzr8py70e251.jpg

Hello, I am Hina from Weathering With You!

40ecc3634f2863e1d4fb9ac034e7febb.jpg

I am too! Well, no, not really, I am Tamako from Tamako Love Story!

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know what My Name is, but is it Your Name? Also, you're reaching, my eyes a brown!

makoto-shinkai-suzume-no-tojimari-lead-h

Hey come on, don't be unfair, I don't have pig tails!

It's classic anime to distinguish characters based mostly on their hair, that's the reason they often have physics defying hairdo and vastly different colors - but that is within a series or a film, not a common theme between many of them. Certainly not between films that look like they have a decent budget. What, why am I complaining about modern anime aesthetics again? Poor horsie, I know you died 17 years ago.  :deadhorse:

So, anyway, the film was fine, I guess. I did not hate it, at least, which is more than can be said about a lot of stuff I've watched recently. I'll also award it some extra points for addressing a glaring anime issue, how's every teenager living alone and nobody finds it weird? Indeed, the police comes knocking and is looking for the little runaway protagonist Hodoka, who is waffling between being endearing and being stupidly shounenesque. They also swoop up Hina, the titular Weather Child, who has faked her age on a resume and should not be living with her little brother alone, without legal guardian.

Well, that's certainly something, eh? Hodoka also happens to find a loaded gun he discharges when he has his biggest shounen-moment and thinks he needs to rescue a girl in distress. It later comes back to haunt him because a camera caught him shooting. Oh my. 

That said, the film also has the usual trope in full force, any metropolitan area is always as busy or as empty as the story demands it to be. Not that this is anime-specific, this is common in any film or series set in giant cities, like Vanilla Sky's New York that was devoid of people when it was necessary for the story. 

So what is the story? The weather is weird, and Tokyo is locked in a never ending rain. Will the Weather Girl be able to control it? Are there going to be any repercussions for randomly discharching weapons found on the street? Do you even care? Do you want to find out? If yes, then you're in luck, because the film explains the entire plot within the first twenty or so minutes, and you can fast forward to the final 15 minutes.

Spoiler

Where Honoka decides that he's not having any of this Hina the Weather Girl sacrificing herself to stop the never ending rain and brings her back. The film ends after he finished highschool and goes back to Hina and a Tokyo where the constant heavy rainfall has caused it to sink back into the sea. 

Good job, Honoka.

At least now I'm fairly certain that I don't want to watch Your Name. After all, Weathering With You was criticized for being too similar. Probably not with the plot, but themes and whatnot. 

Anyway Netflix, it was a decent attempt, but really, really, really liking this? Nope. Maybe if you don't flat out tell me the plot right from the start, make the characters a little more likable, not use distracting CGI for camera pans outside of the one big scene you apparently wanted to look great. Maybe. But then you'd not be the film I just watched. 

Well, it was at least better than watching Noir was, although Noir was 26 episodes, and this thankfully less than two hours. :p 

Edited by majestic
  • Confused 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 minute ago, majestic said:

Normally I'd do a longer post

This is your short post? Embrace the low effort and stop making us (by which I mean me) look bad.

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

Well, perhaps I'm just bitter because I did not get any time off. :p 

Now this I can relate to. And I had mother****ers bothering me on both holidays when I'd normally be off.

• Haha 2

On 12/21/2022 at 12:55 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Are you at all starting to feel like maybe Violet Evergarden being enjoyable to you was probably an accident not intended by the creators of the show? :p

While I am of the opinion that me enjoying film and TV is simply incidental and never really intended (following CLAMP around and watching Tamako Market just further compounded that), that is not entirely the case with Violet Evergarden's recap. The episodes contained in the recap are pretty good, the recap just makes no sense when it omits most of Violet's struggles and instead focuses on the - important, to be sure - standalone story episodes that were the most liked by fans. Of course it would contain most of the tenth episode. 

Violet Evergarden's "Loved Ones Will Always Watch Over You" sits at an impressive 9.8/10 on IMDB. It is a great episode, and it contains a couple of really important scenes of Violet's post low point recovery, but most of the episode is spent on Anne. Well, the entire episode is from her point of view.

The problem is that the recap begins as showing Violet's journey and then simply ends without showing the end of it. It's just one more point of proof that everything I really enjoyed is just a creative accident, huh? It's unfuriating. Someone at the studio thought making this was a good idea. What the hell?

• Like 1

The amount of "unexpected errors" I get when I try to post is more expected than being able to post.

25 minutes ago, majestic said:

While I am of the opinion that me enjoying film and TV is simply incidental and never really intended (following CLAMP around and watching Tamako Market just further compounded that), that is not entirely the case with Violet Evergarden's recap. The episodes contained in the recap are pretty good, the recap just makes no sense when it omits most of Violet's struggles and instead focuses on the - important, to be sure - standalone story episodes that were the most liked by fans. Of course it would contain most of the tenth episode. 

Violet Evergarden's "Loved Ones Will Always Watch Over You" sits at an impressive 9.8/10 on IMDB. It is a great episode, and it contains a couple of really important scenes of Violet's post low point recovery, but most of the episode is spent on Anne. Well, the entire episode is from her point of view.

The problem is that the recap begins as showing Violet's journey and then simply ends without showing the end of it. It's just one more point of proof that everything I really enjoyed is just a creative accident, huh? It's unfuriating. Someone at the studio thought making this was a good idea. What the hell?

Recap episodes are usually questionable filler at best, but I don't see how you can do a Violet Evergarden recap and just miss the struggles and development that form what the show is actually about.

I also have seen neither the long OVA or the movie.......yet. Maybe when I've finished Space Dandy.

51 minutes ago, kirottu said:

I think I have to watch Bocchi the Rock now since this song actually slaps. It will be my first musical anime.

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Space Dandy 6

Space-Dandy-ep4-8-15.jpg?resize=768,432&

Dandy goes to a planet where wearing underwear can get you killed.

Also: space surfing, baby!

Space Dandy 7

tumblr_inline_p9eld0vBOA1r5kjtk_400.gifv

Wacky Races, the anime version. There is even Penelope Pitstop, I mean Honey, from Boobies.

Honey.png

The other racers were hilarious, especially the BDSM alien. Oh, and is Dandy a Stando user? It seems he accidentally used Made in Heaven.

Prince’s voice was familiar, but I’d never have guessed it’s the same actor as Koichi from JoJo and Eren from Attack on Titan.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

15 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Prince’s voice was familiar, but I’d never have guessed it’s the same actor as Koichi from JoJo and Eren from Attack on Titan.

That's some range.

Dandy was voiced by the same guy who did Abbachio and Dr. Gel's VA did Old Joesph. There's probably more, but so far at least I haven't heard Jotaro or DIO, whose vas are probably the most recognizable to the point I can't help but associate them with ORA ORA ORA or MUDA MUDA MUDA.

And Meow is voiced by the same guy who does Franky in Spy X Family.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:

83i3ipejw1aa1.jpg

"No peanuts"

cdb.gif

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

On 1/2/2023 at 6:24 PM, Space KP, Baby said:

Recap episodes are usually questionable filler at best, but I don't see how you can do a Violet Evergarden recap and just miss the struggles and development that form what the show is actually about.

For me, seeing Violet break down at the end of episode seven hit harder than guy-I-just-met having a tragic backstory. Anne in episode ten was a different story as she played off Violet really well and was a very active viewpoint character, but even then I thought they key moments of the episode were the hug (what a massive difference going from telling a distraught customer to rein in her crying in episode two to basically being able to calm down an enraged and scared child) and her admitting that she had a hard time staying professional and distanced while working with her client.

Ending the recap with episode ten also removes the emotional high one gets from the ending. I said it before, I guess, but it bears repeating: Violet telling Gilbert's brother that she no longer needs orders is amongst the best and most well earned "feel good" moment in a series I've seen, and it's followed up with Violet finally being able to express appreciation and write Gilbert a letter.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:24 PM, Space KP, Baby said:

I also have seen neither the long OVA or the movie.......yet. Maybe when I've finished Space Dandy.

The long OVA is not really necessary, as it only explains how Benedict gets a golden bike that shows up in the movie. I mean... there's the story of the OVA, but it's easily my least favorite part. Except for that movie ending, but I've complained enough and at length about it. :yes:

The movie also contains some scenes where the subtitles fail to convey what it said. Well, fail. More like being incomplete. as for many concepts and things there's no proper way to translate the intricacies of Japanese. This is one huge part where watching original with subtitles is far superior to the dub as you can hear a lot of that in Violet's way of speaking.

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon episode 15. Last episode Usagi was sick. Well, possessed by Kunzite, and Mamoru dropped her off at Ami's place. Naru wanted to visit but Ami threw her out, now Naru and Ami are not talking to each other. Usagi still doesn't know that Mamuro is Tuxedo Mullet, and Naru gets the wrong idea when she hears that it was Mamoru who carried her to Ami's. Cue Naru giving Usagi Mamoru's phone number, address, blood type (that is a rather Japanese thing :p) and leaving them alone at an auction where, supposedly, stolen jewelry is being pawned off...

Naturally Usagi stumbles herself into someone carrying Minako's stolen earrings and he wants to go and get them back. Mamoru does the sensible thing and says they should talk to the police officer over there. When the police officer doesn't believe her, she says she's going to get them back. Mamoru is like, what, you, wow will you do that? And Usagi goes: I'M GOING TO TRANSFORM INTO SAILOR MOON.

Good job, Usagi. :p

Anyway, after fifteen episodes, it is becoming a bit clearer that Ami's actress is a little, say, stiff. I don't know if that is the direction, or her ability, but it's not working as well as the others are. For Usagi's actress (I guess I should look up their names at some point) that is more the direction and the character she is playing. She's okay when being normal, very much not so when she's being told to be anime Usagi.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 8:53 PM, kirottu said:

I think I have to watch Bocchi the Rock now since this song actually slaps. It will be my first musical anime.

The vocalist makes my ears bleed. I almost recommended K-On!, but then I realized that K-On! just pretends to be a musical anime. It's really a slice of life series about doing nothing much that pretty much just incidentially has music performances in it because the source material was about a highschool band. :shrugz:

36 minutes ago, majestic said:

The vocalist makes my ears bleed. I almost recommended K-On!, but then I realized that K-On! just pretends to be a musical anime. It's really a slice of life series about doing nothing much that pretty much just incidentially has music performances in it because the source material was about a highschool band. :shrugz:

The vocalist is fine, it's the style of music that's the problem! :yes: :no: :shrugz:

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.