Anime and Manga - It's time for you to finish what you've started and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

InsaneCommander

20 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Good news! We can stop with the "Taming the Harem Catgirl Final Boss" jokes. A new season is approaching and here are some of the new titles:

• Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill
  • If I Became a Dog I Would be Picked Up by the Person I Like
  • Chillin' in My 30s After Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army
  • The Misfit of Demon King Academy Ⅱ: History’s Strongest Demon King Reincarnates and Goes to School with His Descendants

Ok now that I read these carefully, ALL of them can apply to WotR.

Campfire Cooking with Absurd Skill? Virtually every rest.

Become a dog? Beastshape or Baleful Polymorph.

Chillin in your 30's after getting kicked out of the Demon King's Army? Ember's followers.

History’s Strongest Demon Reincarnates? Demon path.

WotR is anime, prove me wrong. You can't.

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

pain.gif

Good. Embrace it.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

42 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill

This one is great.

edit: ok, a step back. It's great for an isekai, on the level of the slime one for me.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I idly browsed through Violet Evergarden: Recollections, a creation no one asked for and certainly no one needed.

It is a condensed recap-film for the first season, and at 95 minutes of runtime, clocks in at less than a third of the original series it is based on. A series which, while perhaps a bit slow at some points, did not contain any scenes that could be reasonably cut or trimmed down without hurting character development, storylines and themes. An OVA was made after the series that bridges the gap between the fourth and the fifth episode so neatly that, if it was part of the series timeline, would never feel out of place - except for running a couple of minutes longer than the series episodes - just proves that if anything, more could be added without any detriment to series, not taken away.

It cuts out Erica's outburst in the second episode - actually, it just drops almost the entire second episode, including Violet's ill-fated letter for the woman who wanted to play hard to get, which means Erica's screen time is drastically reduced -  @Bartimaeus could potentially give it a chance, if it weren't for the fact that most of the missing runtime comes from the episodes between the second and the seventh episode that establish Violet as a woman doing her best to help others with her job and finding her place in the world, before she's thrown into crisis.

It basically removes what made the series special, and for what? Existing fans are not going to like this, and which new fans would it bring? What is the point? The series spends more time establishing Violet and her interactions than the recap has overall runtime before setting events for her emotional downward spiral in motion. It works so well precisely because of that, and some of the scenes also no longer work because the reactions of the others make no sense because the events and contrasts necessary to understand them are not shown.

What a waste of everyone's time.

If Evangelion can have a nigh pointless recap movie (Death and Rebirth /  Death(True)^2) that doesn't work for literally anybody regardless of whether they have or have not seen the show, I don't see why Violet Evergarden can't.

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Cowboy Bebop, episode 1. There's room to grow, but a kind of up-and-down bleh-ish first episode.

Spoiler

Also, I'm not gonna rag on it too much since the show does look generally good, but the digital visuals and effects...or at least the digital compositing thereof, sure are a blemish on the show's overall presentation. Woof, what an ugly first few minutes, and it randomly shows up throughout the rest.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

If Evangelion can have a nigh pointless recap movie (Death and Rebirth /  Death(True)^2) that doesn't work for literally anybody regardless of whether they have or have not seen the show, I don't see why Violet Evergarden can't.

It was not as clear cut for Death and Rebirth, I think. Death(True)², perhaps - as that is a pure recap - but the original Death and Rebirth was a recap and documentary style re-arrangement of the series and added the first parts of End of Evangelion in the run, as far as I remember from what I read about them. So there was at least a point to watch it in the theater, and it could also serve as a refresher before going into The End of Evangelion.

The VE recap, on the other hand, is utterly pointless. It doesn't even re-arrange anything, it's just the regular run of the series cut down to feature film length.

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Cowboy Bebop, episode 1. There's room to grow, but a kind of up-and-down bleh-ish first episode.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, I'm not gonna rag on it too much since the show does look generally good, but the digital visuals and effects...or at least the digital compositing thereof, sure are a blemish on the show's overall presentation. Woof, what an ugly first few minutes, and it randomly shows up throughout the rest.

They never go away, and they keep on standing out like a sore thumb against the otherwise really, really great visuals of the series.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

11 hours ago, majestic said:

They never go away, and they keep on standing out like a sore thumb against the otherwise really, really great visuals of the series.

I watched the second episode, which I thought was better on the whole, but if that episode is anything like the rest... We'll be having a scene where a character is running, it cuts to a different angle and it'll be a terrible-looking digital shot, then switch right back to normal like nothing happened. It's pretty distracting, especially when quickly switching back and forth like that. Gunsmith Cats wins again...

12 hours ago, majestic said:

It was not as clear cut for Death and Rebirth, I think. Death(True)², perhaps - as that is a pure recap - but the original Death and Rebirth was a recap and documentary style re-arrangement of the series and added the first parts of End of Evangelion in the run, as far as I remember from what I read about them. So there was at least a point to watch it in the theater, and it could also serve as a refresher before going into The End of Evangelion.

I was thinking more of the non-TEoE parts, yeah - nobody seems to much like it, as it's confusing to both those who watched the entire show and certainly to those who haven't. The narrative is hacked apart and then stitched back together in a way that doesn't really give you much if any sense of what has actually happened up to that point, especially since it's presented at an utterly break-neck speed. The anime industry has a weird thing for abridged, quick-cut versions of shows that don't really work...and thinking out-loud here, Gainax had one for Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, and even Gunbuster - yes, the six episode OVA had a shortened movie version that cut out like a third of the show. Eh.

• Confused 1

Space Dandy 3

latest?cb=20140320132047

QT buys 10,000 year old food. Space Dandy uses a JoJo technique.

Spoiler

Running away.🤣 I wanna see a crossover with Joseph.

Also, Space Dandy shoots as badly as a stormtrooper.

This episode was hilarious. Specially the ridiculous outfit of a certain character, who kept being shown zoomed in.🤣

Spoiler

Not to mention they got a lot more boobies than they wanted.

Btw, what is the deal with the Gagol Empire? I'll show myself out.

72065f7d3d547707546d58a82dcd00fa.jpg

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Space Dandy 3

Space Dandy speeds to redeem a loyalty card at Boobies and crashes.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Space Dandy finds a place better than Boobies.

• Haha 1

Sometimes I should just finish watching before posting. This Violet Evergarden recap is even worse than I thought, it just drops the entire finale of the series. Why? The entire resolution of Voilet's character arc is gone. The contrast of her coming to terms with all the losses suffered versus the rebels who just cannot let go. Instead there's flashbacks to her accomplishments that make no sense because those parts were cut out, and the recap ends with her writing the letters for Anne Magnolia (or rather, for her mother, for Anne).

Oh, right, it also completely mangles her introspective episodes by removing all flashbacks. Now, well, the series had a point after episode nine where it could have ended with a little modification here and there, and that could have been a way to end this recap nonsense, but nope.

Sigh.

So, this is my current #1 top recommendation on Netflix:

RULwBWD.png

I'm putting this to a vote. Should I watch whatever this is? How can I possibly say no to a thumbnail like that?

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

RULwBWD.png

I'm putting this to a vote. Should I watch whatever this is? How can I possibly say no to a thumbnail like that?

I gave it a go a loooong time ago and it didn't grab me. I think I went in to it with some expectations I shouldn't have. All I remember from it is that it's weird.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

52 minutes ago, majestic said:

RULwBWD.png

I'm pretty sure that I watched like 30 seconds of that show once upon a time years ago. Let's go look at the user screenshots...oh, isn't that perfect? The very first row of screenshots I see, we have one with a character wearing a gym shirt that's too tight, a nude shower scene, a nude chest-grabbing scene, and an upshot featuring underwear - all with the (presumable) main characters in the very banner image that you just posted. Anime and its current core audience are both just sooo great and definitely don't make me want to axe-murder the lot of them at all!

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Sometimes I should just finish watching before posting. This Violet Evergarden recap is even worse than I thought, it just drops the entire finale of the series. Why? The entire resolution of Voilet's character arc is gone. The contrast of her coming to terms with all the losses suffered versus the rebels who just cannot let go. Instead there's flashbacks to her accomplishments that make no sense because those parts were cut out, and the recap ends with her writing the letters for Anne Magnolia (or rather, for her mother, for Anne).

Oh, right, it also completely mangles her introspective episodes by removing all flashbacks. Now, well, the series had a point after episode nine where it could have ended with a little modification here and there, and that could have been a way to end this recap nonsense, but nope.

Sigh.

Are you at all starting to feel like maybe Violet Evergarden being enjoyable to you was probably an accident not intended by the creators of the show? :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, majestic said:

RULwBWD.png

Watch part 4 of JoJo instead.

02fa3d7ecfc7a00667d7c244f683357d.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

If we insist, he will.

1c7d15bb3928bdc87d7ee4643df5351251960044

We may have to use Heaven's Door.

• Haha 1

Chainsaw Man 11: The Training Arc ends.

Aki leaves the fox for a tree that lives in his eye and the rest of the special division devils and fiends are unleashed.

• Gasp! 1

11 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Chainsaw Man 11

So there are even more freaks than we knew about, right?

And yet they looked tame in comparison to Makima making her request.

At least four. And who knows what else.

Makima is turning out to be helpful, is she not?

• Haha 1

Space Dandy 4: Dandy finds a place better than Boobies. Then ends up going back to Boobies anyways, baby.

MV5BYmMwZTY2ZWUtZTdkNC00MWJlLTg1NTgtZmM3

One thing that bothered me about the show is Dr. Gel's voice actor because he sounded very familiar. I can now confirm that his voice actor, Unshō Ishizuka, is also the voice of (old) Joesph Joestar.

1aa.gif

16 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Of course! She did say that she would help them.

Once they gave her what she wanted.

So........

What do you think she is? I don't think she's human, unless she made a contract that gave her eternal life which seems unlikely. I had her pegged as an older hybrid before, but after seeing the Spider Devil and the Angel Devil I think she may be an outright Devil.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1