Anime and Manga - It's time for you to finish what you've started and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

InsaneCommander

22 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Did they ever do s2 of that. I completely forgot about the show.

Looks like there are just two seasons, but it may really be one season with a summer break like Komi Can't Communicate or Spy X Family.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Looks like there are just two seasons, but it may really be one season with a summer break like Komi Can't Communicate or Spy X Family.

I think so too.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Chainsaw Man 10

Denji and Power meet their new sensei and start non stop training. This is gonna be fun. They even think they can outsmart the guy, just to have their asses destroyed with barely any effort.

Aki is about to make even more sacrifices.

Edit:

35 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Space Dandy 1: The Legend Begins And Ends.

I think this is making fun of 50's and 60's episodic sci-fi with a bunch of one-off episodes. It's great, just the sort of light-hearted stuff to go with after Narutaru, Chainsaw Man, and MADE IN HEAVEN's JoJo shenanigans. Also, it looks amazing.

You know what, that sounds like a good idea. I guess Ergo Proxy and Cyberpunk will wait a little longer.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

8 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I think so too.

I verified it, that is indeed the case.

8 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

You know what, that sounds like a good idea. I guess Ergo Proxy and Cyberpunk will wait a little longer.

I haven't seen Cyberpunk but Ergo Proxy is very much not light-hearted so yeah, give Space Dandy a go first.

• Thanks 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

mpc-hc64_pyXsVJqg4y.png

does anyone know what these hats are? they look like hardhats, but I can't figure out why two girls in school would randomly decide to wear hardhats while nobody else does

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

They look like rain hats to me.

They do at that, now that you mention it...though it wasn't raining, and I was wrong about other people not wearing them, it seems roughly half the school was:

mpc-hc64_L4PPY6lkeJ.png

Unrelated:

mpc-hc64_oL3790KuVh.gif

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

38 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

denjipower.jpg

I loved how they put on glasses and changed clothes to make themselves feel smarter. Chainsaw Man is a delight.

• Haha 1

It's really a shame that a lot of these old slice-of-life shoujos aren't available: between this (Maruko-chan), Azuki-chan, and Akko-chan (hey guys, are you noticing any kind of pattern with these titles here?), I've really enjoyed their movies, but I can't watch the shows from which they were for. I guess I'm a weirdo for enjoying old as dirt shoujo that apparently attracted no Western attention of any kind. 245 GB for all 142 episodes of Maruko-chan in 1080p, but I can't understand a lick of Japanese: life is so unfair. ...Wait, hold on a second, I'm getting something now: that's just the first season? There are more than 142 episodes? Well, just how many episodes are there then?

firefox_CMQO08gB1F.png

Y9dtwfG.gif

What the hell did I stumble onto? I guess this is the One Piece of shoujo...except this has 300 more episodes than even One Piece - it's even still going to present day, although the art style...the art style is admittedly not what it used to be. Still, I'd like to be able to watch the "first season" (note: the first season spanned three years, as you might expect a 142 episode season would do), especially seeing as this film was practically a miracle.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Right, what anime do we have in the queue for today? Let's see here...*squints*

zombie_island.png

...Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, directed by Hiroshi Aoyama, Kazumi Fukushima, and Jim Stenstrum, animated by Japanese studio Mook Animation?

mpc-hc64_jDUU0mMxbM.png

Have to say, "anime" Scooby-Doo looks fairly spiffy, all in all...and it was actually pretty good overall, certainly the best Scooby-Doo film I've watched. I've been subjected to a number of them, and...I would've rather not have been for the most part.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 2

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Right, what anime do we have in the queue for today? Let's see here...*squints*

zombie_island.png

...Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, directed by Hiroshi Aoyama, Kazumi Fukushima, and Jim Stenstrum, animated by Japanese studio Mook Animation?

mpc-hc64_jDUU0mMxbM.png

Have to say, "anime" Scooby-Doo looks fairly spiffy, all in all...and it was actually pretty good overall, certainly the best Scooby-Doo film I've watched. I've been subjected to a number of them, and...I would've rather not have been for the most part.

Man I loved Scooby-Doo as a kid, why you gotta take a dump on my childhood?

• Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Man I loved Scooby-Doo as a kid, why you gotta take a dump on my childhood?

Well, have you seen the films - the many, many films? There are literally like 50 of them*, and most of them are somewhere between "really terrible" and "very mediocre". I have a healthy amount of respect for the original 1969-1970 series and watched all of it with my nieces. But like many things for me, as you dial the clock hand forward, I seem to start having more and more problems with the series... Funny thing about Zombie Island is that it was just a direct-to-DVD adaptation that Warner Bros. evidently didn't give too much of a crap about, and it's apparently pretty widely considered to be the absolute best film or close to it - glad they were able to make a 1080p scan of it.

*Literally literally. 59 different film entries on imdb, although at least a handful of them are not Scooby-Doo proper but related documentaries or other nonsense.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I liked the original Scooby-Doo cartoon, although the reason is perhaps a little strange: Daphne's German dub voice actress was just music to my ears.

The cartoon itself is fine, I guess. :)

Edited by majestic
forgot an o there

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Well, have you seen the films - the many, many films? There are literally like 50 of them*, and most of them are somewhere between "really terrible" and "very mediocre". I have a healthy amount of respect for the original 1969-1970 series and watched all of it with my nieces. But like many things for me, as you dial the clock hand forward, I seem to start having more and more problems with the series... Funny thing about Zombie Island is that it was just a direct-to-DVD adaptation that Warner Bros. evidently didn't give too much of a crap about, and it's apparently pretty widely considered to be the absolute best film or close to it - glad they were able to make a 1080p scan of it.

*Literally literally. 59 different film entries on imdb, although at least a handful of them are not Scooby-Doo proper but related documentaries or other nonsense.

I've only seen a handful of the films and I barely remember them lmao.

I prefer the old stuff, because looking at...well, this, hurts my brain:

abachj.png

Sigh. Movie-quality animation just isn't what it used to be, is it? And never mind writing...

29 minutes ago, majestic said:

I liked the original Scooby Do cartoon, although the reason is perhaps a little strange: Daphne's German dub voice actress was just music to my ears.

The cartoon itself is fine, I guess. :)

I'm usually happy with most anything that isn't needles into my brain, and the old stuff is certainly very formulaic, but it's not needles, and that makes it alright in my book.

The equivalent voice actor for me is Frank Welker, who has been voicing Fred since literally the show's inception and continuing up to this day...along with a number of other memorable roles like the doppelganger from BG1. Okay, his voice isn't "music to my ears", but still, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

24 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Space Dandy 1-2

qt.png

Space Dandy goes after boobies aliens and ramen.

This is totally silly but quite entertaining. Don't ask me about continuity, considering what happened in the end of the first episode.

kv31nOS_6iehiyRMuW-gCC3A0EQRNga0GFZDCsbK

28 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I prefer the old stuff, because looking at...well, this, hurts my brain:

abachj.png

Sigh. Movie-quality animation just isn't what it used to be, is it? And never mind writing...

That doesn't look like anything to me.

Anyways, my fond memories for Scooby-Doo are memories and I haven't really seen anything Scooby-Doo in a while. Maybe I watched the recent movie that had it's sequel euthanized by the new WB reality TV man who wants to make everything about 1000 pound people, but if I did then I don't remember it. Maybe Scooby-Doo wouldn't hold up for me, maybe I'd just hate the newer stuff. I don't know.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Spy x Family 24

Loid.png

Loid and Yor go on a date. Anya goes shopping with Becky to look nicer and win Damian’s heart.

Spoiler

Loid starts to suspect Yor is more than she seems, considering she could be a spy. She gets drunk and knocks him unconscious. This will probably be forgotten in the next episode...

Anya and Becky forget to buy anything (for Anya!) despite trying everything, even the most bizarre stuff available at the store.

Anya.png

Oh, and Anya loses the "shock competition."

Shock moments:

Loid: 5

Yor: 4

Anya: 2

Becky: 1

• Haha 1

sign.jpg

Spy X Family 24: You naughty Yor :biggrin: and Anya's Operation Skoricks

Lots of shocked faces. Unfortunately Franky has returned.

Space Dandy 2: Ramen Quest

This was great. I feel asleep soon after and woke up in the middle of episode 6.

• Haha 2

I idly browsed through Violet Evergarden: Recollections, a creation no one asked for and certainly no one needed.

It is a condensed recap-film for the first season, and at 95 minutes of runtime, clocks in at less than a third of the original series it is based on. A series which, while perhaps a bit slow at some points, did not contain any scenes that could be reasonably cut or trimmed down without hurting character development, storylines and themes. An OVA was made after the series that bridges the gap between the fourth and the fifth episode so neatly that, if it was part of the series timeline, would never feel out of place - except for running a couple of minutes longer than the series episodes - just proves that if anything, more could be added without any detriment to series, not taken away.

It cuts out Erica's outburst in the second episode - actually, it just drops almost the entire second episode, including Violet's ill-fated letter for the woman who wanted to play hard to get, which means Erica's screen time is drastically reduced -  @Bartimaeus could potentially give it a chance, if it weren't for the fact that most of the missing runtime comes from the episodes between the second and the seventh episode that establish Violet as a woman doing her best to help others with her job and finding her place in the world, before she's thrown into crisis.

It basically removes what made the series special, and for what? Existing fans are not going to like this, and which new fans would it bring? What is the point? The series spends more time establishing Violet and her interactions than the recap has overall runtime before setting events for her emotional downward spiral in motion. It works so well precisely because of that, and some of the scenes also no longer work because the reactions of the others make no sense because the events and contrasts necessary to understand them are not shown.

What a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by majestic

Good news! We can stop with the "Taming the Harem Catgirl Final Boss" jokes. A new season is approaching and here are some of the new titles:

• Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill
  • If I Became a Dog I Would be Picked Up by the Person I Like
  • Chillin' in My 30s After Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army
  • The Misfit of Demon King Academy Ⅱ: History’s Strongest Demon King Reincarnates and Goes to School with His Descendants
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

1 minute ago, InsaneCommander said:

We can stop with the "Taming the Harem Catgirl Final Boss" jokes.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!-

2 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Chillin' in My 30s After Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army

New crusade units in WotR?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Good news! We can stop with the "Taming the Harem Catgirl Final Boss" jokes. A new season is approaching and here are some of the new titles:

• Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill
  • If I Became a Dog I Would be Picked Up by the Person I Like
  • Chillin' in My 30s After Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army
  • The Misfit of Demon King Academy Ⅱ: History’s Strongest Demon King Reincarnates and Goes to School with His Descendants

pain.gif

• Haha 1