Ukraine Conflict - "An empire founded by war has to maintain itself by war"

Lexx

Russians released the footage of how they blown up segments of Kakhovka Dam. Notice, that there is absolutely no visible damage to the road over the dam, despite months of HIMARS treatment of the near vicinity of the dam. Because contrary to Russian propaganda claims, all of the hits were performed to the bridges over water outlet on the left bank of Dnepr, which can be seen on the Maxar image, which I have linked few posts ago 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Fair enough. Guess we won't get the BBC insisting it's a remote controlled Ukrainian boat this time. lol at the commentator authoritatively claiming Russia was trying to destroy the generators though, the power station is on the Russian side of the dam.

You're still in whackadoodle land over the casualties though.

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Wonder what they used

Ukrainian claims, namely Arestovych that the bridge was blown, due to lucky HIMARS strike at the bridge segments which were already mined by explosives by Russia. And therefore it exploded prematurely, while a lot of Russians and their equipment were still on right bank, forced them to leave more equipment behind as planned, and retreat through Kakhovka dam, which was allegedly blow up later and according to Russian plans.

Also the airfield of Chaplynka, near to Crimea, from where were conducted sorties against Ukrainian positions on right bank of Kherson, already got HIMARS treatment. Also first barracks, where were retreating Russian soldiers temporarily stationed on the left bank, were hit by precision strikes, causing two truckloads of cargo 200.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/11/13/7376122/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, at least the potential sentences are appropriate. We jailed a former Russian spy for like three years. Good job.

3 years doesnt seem long enough and he has the audacity to suggest 

"The accused denied espionage, saying he had merely passed on publicly available information, in a role similar to that of a foreign correspondent " 

Yet he was paid €220,000 which he admitted. I doubt the Ruskies would pay for publicly available information?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, at least the potential sentences are appropriate. We jailed a former Russian spy for like three years. Good job.

Wow! Astonishing.

Generally, I don't understand modern Austria. Kurz and the rest of recent Austrian politics just look so odd to me. There is no question I am not educated enough in the matter, but still, it's baffling.

13 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

This has been pretty big news in the north of Europe, not sure about how widely this has been reported elsewhere. Doesn't look too pleasant. Neither does the drone stuff in Norway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63601266

We have Russian lapdogs in our parliament, and the police is still afraid to act against them. The most prominent of them, gets paid by Usmanov, and he even does try to conceal it, which is on the sanction list right from the beginning. But there is some small steps being made already, which could make the situation better in the future… 

also, over 1 hour long, but videos of this guy are worth every second spent on them…

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Btw, here's an interesting piece of history which may help explain parts of why the war has so few vehement opponents in Russia at the moment. The comparison isn't entirely fair because the situations also contain many differences, but it's not completely wrong, either. Anyway.

In WW2, approximately 18 million people fought for the German Wehrmacht. However, there were also extremely courageous people like Oscar Schindler who did their utmost to help the jews and hinder the Nazis. Historians consider that the total number of these people during the war, in Germany, was approximately one hundred. So that's 18 million vs. 100.

Tallies chillingly with the observation that it's very easy to hold to the idea of oneself as a courageous person with high morals -- as long as they are not properly tested.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Btw, here's an interesting piece of history which may help explain parts of why the war has so few vehement opponents in Russia at the moment. The comparison isn't entirely fair because the situations also contain many differences, but it's not completely wrong, either. Anyway.

In WW2, approximately 18 million people fought for the German Wehrmacht. However, there were also extremely courageous people like Oscar Schindler who did their utmost to help the jews and hinder the Nazis. Historians consider that the total number of these people during the war, in Germany, was approximately one hundred. So that's 18 million vs. 100.

Tallies chillingly with the observation that it's very easy to hold to the idea of oneself as a courageous person with high morals -- as long as they are not properly tested.

That number of 100 doesnt sound very likely, Im sure its much, much  higher than that? Where did you get that from and I wonder what they define as "Germans opposed to the Nazi " because we wouldn't know peoples real opinions  because like Russia the Nazi controlled the state so people wouldnt have been honest about their views?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Wow! Astonishing.

Generally, I don't understand modern Austria. Kurz and the rest of recent Austrian politics just look so odd to me. There is no question I am not educated enough in the matter, but still, it's baffling.

It helps to bear in mind that one of the ruling parties at the time was the FPĂ–, a party that officially signed a treaty of "cooperation and friendship" with United Russia (which they recently declared to be null and void, for whatever reason, I can't quite figure it out... :p). That being said, to borrow something a poster here used to say all the time: "Don't look at me, I voted for the other guy." I can't stand the Ă–VP and I never once bought into the Kurz hype, and there are plenty of posts from me where I express my rather low opinion of the party, so I'm probably not the best person to ask what the appeal of that Trump in a slim-fit suit was.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I liked Kurz. Well to me appeal of him was that he was only 'right wing' party leader. There are not many of those left in Europe

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

That number of 100 doesnt sound very likely, Im sure its much, much  higher than that? Where did you get that from and I wonder what they define as "Germans opposed to the Nazi " because we wouldn't know peoples real opinions  because like Russia the Nazi controlled the state so people wouldnt have been honest about their views?

The number comprises people whose actions actually mattered and made some kind of difference, such as Oscar Schindler. There were very, very few of those, hence the number one hundred -- although historians naturally agree that there is no way to know the true number. The number comes from Ian Kershaw's book To Hell and Back: Europe 1914-1949. Recommended.

Opinions, in this context, are absolutely meaningless. It's actions that count, actual deeds.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xzar_monty said:

The number comprises people whose actions actually mattered and made some kind of difference, such as Oscar Schindler. There were very, very few of those, hence the number one hundred -- although historians naturally agree that there is no way to know the true number. The number comes from Ian Kershaw's book To Hell and Back: Europe 1914-1949. Recommended.

Opinions, in this context, are absolutely meaningless. It's actions that count, actual deeds.

Okay I see what you mean, you saying actions and not  personal views. That makes more sense 

John Milton 

40 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Kershaw saying Bagration was a mistake, always stuck with me.   Not sure the reference (again to WW2..) really explains much though. 

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Putin signed decree allowing foreigners to join Russian Army, today.

looks like we’ll see more of this soon 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/chinese-officials-speak-unprecedented-criticism-115245605.html

Rare but becoming more common of Chinese criticism towards Russia, this time at the G20

But China mustn't think we stupid, they would have been fine with the invasion if things were going well for Russia so this is just a reality of the failures of Putin's War....its not like the CCP really  care about the  sovereignty of Ukraine or there right to decide their own future

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

50 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/chinese-officials-speak-unprecedented-criticism-115245605.html

Rare but becoming more common of Chinese criticism towards Russia, this time at the G20

Also, Macron tweets "with" or "alongside" Xi, thus:

Interesting.

The photos of Lavrov in Bali (?) are also delightful: the guy's wearing a Basquiat T-shirt, and he's got a Western mobile phone and a Western wristwatch. Such a staunch opponent of the "decadent West" he is, indeed. No hypocrisy there at all.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

I was watching an interesting interview on Bloomberg about how Putins War has created a reality where China and Russia are now on opposite sides of certain traditional geopolitical objectives. The failures of the invasion and Western sanctions have led to Putin trying to destabilize the global economy through things like energy blackmail and grain blockages which he hopes will lead to the West reducing support for Ukraine and insisting on some kind of negotiations. Putin doesnt care about the global economy because he is concerned only about surviving the consequences of invading Ukraine

China wants a stable world and global economy because its economy is dependant on that but China also has to consider its previous publicly stated ideological support for Russia. But the reality now is Russia and China have fundamental different objectives, China wants the war to end and Putin wants to survive it both politically and militarily

• Like 2

John Milton 

On 11/13/2022 at 10:50 PM, xzar_monty said:

This has been pretty big news in the north of Europe, not sure about how widely this has been reported elsewhere. Doesn't look too pleasant. Neither does the drone stuff in Norway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63601266

It's funny how this happens just as the government wants to introduce an anti-spy law that also happens to make investigative journalism impossible.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Not especially meaningful, but still a marvelous show of solidarity from Banksy: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2022/11/14/banksy-in-ukraine-seven-new-works-appear-in-war-torn-sites

Art specifically for or against something tends to be embarrassing (think Sun City, for instance), but these works look good. Of course it helps that there are no words.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

It's funny how this happens just as the government wants to introduce an anti-spy law that also happens to make investigative journalism impossible.

Maybe its the US because they want Sweden to become a right-wing, neo-Nazi state !!! You just never know :aiee:

John Milton 

43 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Not especially meaningful, but still a marvelous show of solidarity from Banksy: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2022/11/14/banksy-in-ukraine-seven-new-works-appear-in-war-torn-sites

Art specifically for or against something tends to be embarrassing (think Sun City, for instance), but these works look good. Of course it helps that there are no words.

https://www.suninternational.com/sun-city/

Whats embarrassing about Sun City, its a very prestigious and popular resort  ;)

John Milton