Military Thread: “An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep.”

Gfted1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Gfted1 said:

I mean, before ramming the MQ-9 down, they twice dumped fuel on it to try to down it. I was surprised when the Su-27 exhaust didnt ignite the fuel and burn the MQ-9.

Probably harder to ignite at that altitude and temperature ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 3/28/2023 at 6:18 AM, Gfted1 said:

I mean, before ramming the MQ-9 down, they twice dumped fuel on it to try to down it. I was surprised when the Su-27 exhaust didnt ignite the fuel and burn the MQ-9.

it isn't the fuel which ignites.  is the gaseous fumes from the fuel which is burning. an aircraft traveling at ~300kmh wherein the fuel is not contained in tanks but rather open to the great blue sky is gonna be a challenge to set alight and result in any meaningful damage regardless. the fuel dump itself were kinda silly as am assuming the drone is built to fly through heavy rains which is gonna be more immediate impactful than would the largely aerosolized fuel dump.   

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The evolution of German tanks during WWII, showing a Panzer I, Panzer IV and Panther. Notice the size differences. They start with the smallest one...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

My mother-in-law is absolutely terrified that Russia will invade Estonia. They believe that when Trump gets reelected he won't commit the US to defending their tiny and largely unknown NATO ally against Russia.

Free games updated 3/4/21