Official KOTOR: AE FAQ

mgnails

well we are confident in the abilities of our team.

I'm pretty sure you are. But that doesn't mean that the mod will be as good as you promote it to be. I'm still under the impression that there's a alot of 'pretty neato' features(several who will never leave the drawingboard), and no real content.

I would be glad to be proven otherwise.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

we have a large team working on this, a very large team. No offense but we would appreciate less secptism and more support. For the past few weeks all we have gotten is sceptism and doubt. This isn't helping the current situation within the team. We will work on what we can, when we can. We will try to get all these features and possibly more. However in the mean time, support/suggestions would be great. Too much doubt, too little hope. We do need to focus on the project at hand though.

we have a large team working on this, a very large team. No offense but we would appreciate less secptism and more support. For the past few weeks all we have gotten is sceptism and doubt. This isn't helping the current situation within the team. We will work on what we can, when we can. We will try to get all these features and possibly more. However in the mean time, support/suggestions would be great. Too much doubt, too little hope. We do need to focus on the project at hand though.

Good, scepticism will keep your feet back on the ground and concentrating on proving every nay-sayer wrong in every way. Now stop posting and start working :huh:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Eru, get ur butt on MSN messenger dang it. Also, constant doubt doesn't "keep us on our toes". I already knew we had to focus on the project at hand and stop adding stuff. But the current features we have planned, we "WILL TRY" our best to implement. If that means working our butts for months, then that means working our butts off for months. If it means taking longer then we will. Doubt and Sceptism don't help at all. Espescialy when there is little to no posistive feed back. It gets tiresome, anoying and even ventures to become depressing after a long time. U work hard, day in and day out, and all people do is say how little u have done, how little u can do. I work on this project cause I want to, not because I'm payed a giant paycheck every week. I care about the community

Respectful criticism is of paramount importance in this instance, as well as all others wherein something is being produced. This is not to say that I find it easy to express all of my doubts, as numerous and as unintentionally insulting as they are.

Firstly, I am really not interested in the technical aspects of producing this mod. While I'm sure that a lot of work is involved with this, drive and dedication to the project are the only real prerequisites neccessary to code a reasonably palatable mod.

Storyline, however, as well as the strengths, weaknesses, and realism of both PCs, enemies, and everything in between is much more difficult to 'get right'.

In my opinion, the current storyline of your mod, to say the least, is unsatisfying. I mean, aside from the irksome fact that Malak, a character suitably dealt with and put to rest, has once again risen to parodize himself for lack of a more original villian, the whole concept of Malak as a droid is patently absurd. First of all, why on Earth would he be reincarnated in such a fashion, if it were even possible to do so? He was a Sith Lord; no one will mourn his passing. The jedi obviously wouldn't want to ressurect him, nor would any sith, hungry for personal power and glory as they are.

Also: a droid version of Malak wouldn't -- couldn't -- be Malak at all. It's possible to replicate basic physical attributes, as well as peripheral behavioral values, but it would certainly be impossible to replicate Malak's exact brain chemistry down to the pulse-fire of every neuron and the exact architecture and placement of every axon, dendrite, and synapse. He would be Malak at a cursory glance only. Hell, it doesn't even seem like a droid could use the force. I have all these problems with one subset of a subsection of a section of the mod as a whole.

New game play features leave much to be desired, similarly. The new force powers being added are simply silly. A jedi, a sith, already has access to devastating powers of mythic proportions. Either one of them can twist the elements themselves around said force user's iron will. To add powers like "force destroy", seemingly several times again as destructive as "force lightning", is to simply give in to a primal urge that whispers "more is better, no matter how uneccessary".

In order to balance these powers out, you'll have to then make enemies strong, thus negating the purpose of adding disproportionately strong or useful powers in the first place. You'll end up with a game wherein your character and his enemies mock the environment in which they exist, for all their strength. Who needs giant starships when your measly PC can employ "force nuke" to destroy entire planets by himself?

I think I've said my piece, for now.

Did you ever ask yourselves why there is so much skepticism around this project? Perhaps it is due to what your own team says. Here are some quotes of mgnails posts taken in this very same thread:

READING INSTRUCTIONS: all comments posted under a quote apply to all the other quotes as well, making the necessary adjustments

ONe of them will be the combat engine. Hopefully when you go into combat, it will be something like this. You will have your usual 3 options when you go into combat where you can choose your feats and powers for your character to do. But, there will be a fourth option that will take you to FPS style combat so that you can control the character yourself instead of just sitting back and watching him/her do the feats and powers themselves.

:huh: C'mon, let's be serious...I won't even spend time commenting this "vision".

There will be new models of course and a new storyline. One improvement will be that you will have the option to wield two staff sabers at once. Actually, most of your enemies (Sith Elites) will be wielding two staff sabers at a time.
You'll need to have the model fully cracked to do this and be able to import new animations in the game.

It involves me working mostly but I am capable of any sort of modding except retextureing, modeling and coding. [...] And figuring out hours isnt necessary because with chemix on modeling and me on basically everything else, it will get done faster. We both have alot of free time and I am out on summer break so it should only take me a few weeks to do my part.
Surprising: things are going to move faster because someone who doesn't know retexturing modeling and coding will do basically anything. I don't understand :huh:

And Im sure that we are having disagreements on completion because we know how to mod and most of you all don't. You dont know how easy it is to mod and we do. There is no art. Scripting is easy, Dialogues are easy. Models are coming around to make new areas. Textures take about 5 minutes with photoshop 7 and it will all be voice acted. From the team's size and ability there is no reason why we cant get this KOTOR 1 sized game done in a few months.
First advice: have a little more consideration for the public, they may not be as ignorant as you think. Second: if you really believe everything is so easy and that making textures takes five minutes, then you are clearly missing something somewhere..unless you wield special force powers :p

Though I havent realeased many mods, I know almost every aspect of modding and I consider myself to be a master because of it.
that's contradictory, isn't it? Just afew posts above, the Master of Modding admits having no knowledge of "retextureing, modeling and coding"...again, this is beyond understanding :huh:

If all goes according to plan even with real life interferences I would project this up for release in 6 months max [...] This mod will consist of 9 planets, 2 ships, and 3 stations
:huh::blink: <_< :( This one makes my day :p

And also, the turret minigame is planned to be recoded so you can actually fly the ebon hawk instead of just operate the turrets to make it more interesting but Im not so sure we will get to that.

You can't fly the Ebon Hawk and you won't be able to do that. Plus you don't seem to take into consideration engine limitations at all...I'm not talking about the Ebon Hawk's egines

If the combat engine recoding goes as planned we will surley add multiplayer
:rolleyes: this one speaks for itself

We were also going to change around the swoop racing so that you can actually race against opponents and shoot them down and all of that instead of just trying to beat their times.

Excluding the feasibility aspect <_< , I have one comment: some people already experience serious lagging problems with the swoop races.

Also, you may end up with more party members mentioned as I have almost discovered a way to make it so you can take more than just 2 party members with you and how you can have more than just 9 party members.
I already posted my comments regarding that but you don't seem to understand: you can resize the GUI screen as you want, you can add more boxes and make it green with purples dots if you want, but you wont be able to add more party members. There is a maximum number of party members and it's HARDCODED period. Btw GUI is the abbreviation for "graphical user interface" in case you don't know . I tend to believe that you don't given this quote:
I know adding party members is possible, to have more than 9. That I can tell MUST be possible without coding.

Of course, all of the above excludes my comments regarding the quality of the storyline.

Finally, my initial position hasn't changed:

I am 100% skeptical about this project/mod

and I 100% agree with Grandpa's post: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...indpost&p=38438

...and I didn't get my free T-shirt yet :p

*throws "I'm a sceptic, who knows nothing of modding, and thinks himself completely corect 100% yep thats me, always right, always doubting other people, and always, always being anoying" t-shirt at bigbrotheriswatching*

We aren't worried about engine limitations, we are "recoding" coding and scripting are far from the same thing. Coding means programming and in this case reprogramming/editing the engine, scripting is scripting.

MG knows how to script, how to write a good storyline, and how to manage a team among other things which I am too tired to mention this second

The FILE is called, partyselection.gui, a .gui file, is a Graphic User Interface file for KOTOR.

We aren't idiots, we aren't liars, and dang it, we aren't appreciated either.

We work hard, we work our butts off, and for what? so u can laugh and call us idiots? I don't think so.

The purpose of modding is to give something to the community, to give them an enjoyable modifiaction to the current game. We care about this community a heck of a lot. We give u pictures, yet u demand more, this has only been in developement for a month and a half and u want a demo? Ur lucky to get a single screen cap.

U try modding a decent mod

Doubts, scepticism, flames, we take this on a near daily basis. Meanwhile slaving over a keyboard making this thing.

U have something constructive to say, go ahead and say it, u got a long meaningless rant, keep it to urself

A little more consideration for the public? What consideration have we been shown here? little to none, we've had consideration for the whole dang public, screen shots, info, forums even... yet still u persist in ur constant ranting and raving and expect us to have kinder words for those who talk about how stupid the mod is and how it'll never be released?

So we dream an impossible dream do we? It is better to dream then to be without hope than an "impossible dream" may become a reality

"Shadow and doubt ravage the world, devouring whatever they might find, the life fades from the land and the darkness comes. A glimmer of hope remains, and in that glimmer, a whole world of possibilities, a whole world of change. Hope peirces through the dark dawn and rides through the day evermore, evermore"

this stupid thread has been going on far too long.

we ALL know that these guys aren't going to get s*** together- they're just spamming away. from al that i've read here, this is one of the most ambitious TCs i've heard of.

bigbrotheriswatching is completely right in what he says. none of you "modders" make the impression that you know what you are talking about. if you really want to be taken seriously, then how about presenting ONE (yes, just a single, tiny one) location to the public, so that we don't go "sheesh. what a bull"

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

we ALL know that these guys aren't going to get s*** together- they're just spamming away. from al that i've read here, this is one of the most ambitious TCs i've heard of.

bigbrotheriswatching is completely right in what he says. none of you "modders" make the impression that you know what you are talking about. if you really want to be taken seriously, then how about presenting ONE (yes, just a single, tiny one) location to the public, so that we don't go "sheesh. what a bull"

Hey, hey, hey, don't shoot the messenger, I never CLAIMED to know anything about modding. :)

A very ambitious undertaking to say the least, but from what I've read it seems your "teams" lost in the dark to your true intentions. Communication is key to any success. Making original, non-force sensitive characters Jedi just so you can make them useful? Why not make side quests or missions where you need a skill that they possess (not sure how to implement it, just giving ideas)? Something more than "wanting to see so & so with a lightsaber", thats almost as ridiculous as making Malak an undead cyborg :( .

Just my 0.02. I really hope you guys are successful & can prove the naysayers wrong, but at this point if it was out for download I wouldn't waste the drive space.

these guys got a great way to get a high post count going, eh?

we strive to do more for the community than just 1 simple area, we already have more than 1 simple area, buts thats just plain crap to u people, what do u care? it's not a brand new giant area with everything u want. So who could care less. We haven't gotten brand new areas in game yet, no. Have we worked our butts off, yes. Do we plan to, yes. Now dang it u inappreciatetive little doubters, just shut the heck up for petes sake. U have delayed the release of new data with ur constant whining. If u have nothing better to do than flame, then do it elsewheres, this is not "rants and raves"

we strive to do more for the community than just 1 simple area, we already have more than 1 simple area, buts thats just plain crap to u people, what do u care? it's not a brand new giant area with everything u want. So who could care less. We haven't gotten brand new areas in game yet, no. Have we worked our butts off, yes. Do we plan to, yes. Now dang it u inappreciatetive little doubters, just shut the heck up for petes sake. U have delayed the release of new data with ur constant whining. If u have nothing better to do than flame, then do it elsewheres, this is not "rants and raves"

I don't understand how "whining" by posters on an Obsidian message board is delaying the release of something you guys are working on. You don't HAVE to be on here while working on this mod.

The problem is you guys are promising SO much, and have shown so little. And another problem is you are each saying different things about how far along you are.

You want to be appreciated for, what all we know, amounts to nothing? That's not how it works. What kind of backlash do you think Obsidian would get if they came on here every day saying "damn you people, respect our work. praise us. stop telling us that such and such feature will suck", even though the game isn't ready yet?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

we strive to do more for the community than just 1 simple area, we already have more than 1 simple area, buts thats just plain crap to u people, what do u care? it's not a brand new giant area with everything u want. So who could care less. We haven't gotten brand new areas in game yet, no. Have we worked our butts off, yes. Do we plan to, yes. Now dang it u inappreciatetive little doubters, just shut the heck up for petes sake. U have delayed the release of new data with ur constant whining.  If u have nothing better to do than flame, then do it elsewheres, this is not "rants and raves"

I don't understand how "whining" by posters on an Obsidian message board is delaying the release of something you guys are working on. You don't HAVE to be on here while working on this mod.

The problem is you guys are promising SO much, and have shown so little. And another problem is you are each saying different things about how far along you are.

You want to be appreciated for, what all we know, amounts to nothing? That's not how it works. What kind of backlash do you think Obsidian would get if they came on here every day saying "damn you people, respect our work. praise us. stop telling us that such and such feature will suck", even though the game isn't ready yet?

Here here! <applauds> Tell it to him brotha! Preach the good word!

<remembers he's on the team in question.....crawls back into his hole>

*back hand slaps eru*

We are not releasing any maps. Just some info and some new screen shots, I've done at least a dozen reskins, helped design a storyline, and have helped support general team issues. Not to mention some before hand modeling work which no pics will be released of till it's completed. I'm not trying to sound like someone demanding praise, I'm not trying to sound like someone who's a big pompus jerk who only cares about getting tons of attension and glorification. I'm just sick of doubt and being insulted by people who know nothing about the work being done. It gets rather anoying when people say u haven't done crap when u have done so much. I was going to release the data/screenshots earlier today but had to leave for a bit. I'll put them up shortly. Anyways, I don't wish for a flame war or anything of the sort. We hope to include a load of features which we will try to implement. Is that wrong to u people, to dream, to try and turn big ideas into big realities?