warhammer 40k: rogue trader

16 hours ago, majestic said:

I thought it an appropriate reply to the question of having a hopeful story set in the Warhammer 40000 universe. One might as well ask for warm ice cream or dry water. :p

Edit: For clarification, I am aware that it is possible to create hot "ice", i.e. solid water at room temperatures or well above that.

While I might occasionally enjoy seeing things burn, in CRPGs the feeling that the party's actions were not in vain and led to the results desired by the player is somewhat important. Not necessarily hugging the xenos and singing kumbaya together, but leaving the world less ****, than it was at the start of the game. That, and the combat system, which I am ambivalent about - a bit too many encounters for a turn-based one. I suppose, I would not mind a Souls-like in the WH40K universe, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

While I might occasionally enjoy seeing things burn, in CRPGs the feeling that the party's actions were not in vain and led to the results desired by the player is somewhat important. Not necessarily hugging the xenos and singing kumbaya together, but leaving the world less ****, than it was at the start of the game. That, and the combat system, which I am ambivalent about - a bit too many encounters for a turn-based one. I suppose, I would not mind a Souls-like in the WH40K universe, though.

So I'm still confused. Is it the case that the game is grimdark throughout and with no good-happy ending? 'Cause that's a dealbreaker for me as well.

That depends heavily on what you would consider a happy ending. You can avert a galactic crisis and foil the plan of an insane fascist, so if that qualifies, then yes, the game does have one. If by happy ending you mean creating a better place in the Warhammer 40k universe, then that is actually also possible, albeit after a fashiohn, if you follow a certain conviction and achieve its secret ending, but (warning, spoilers):

Spoiler

It will involve creating an nigh-ominpotent AI whose reaction to deviations is complete extermination, and while the people leave in peace and experience tolerance, they also live in reverent fear. The player character and their little utopian empire are still destroyed in the events following the ending after an attack by the Imperium. However, your godlike creation saves the Expanse and its inhabitants by cutting it off from the rest of the galaxy.

Whether or not it can actually stave off the influence of Chaos is left open.

Hey, it's Warhammer 40k, there's got to be some grim and dark even in the happiest of endings. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 hours ago, majestic said:
  Hide contents

It will involve creating an nigh-ominpotent AI

Hey, it's Warhammer 40k, there's got to be some grim and dark even in the happiest of endings. :yes:

Wasn't that what led to the end of "The Dark Age of Technology" first time around? Effectively relegating humanity to isolated clusters among the stars (because the Eldar at the time decided to make a mess of warp travel until the birth of Slaanesh)

edit: Not aided by the fact, that the weaponry back then was much more destructive than what is currently available to humanity

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

Wasn't that what led to the end of "The Dark Age of Technology" first time around? Effectively relegating humanity to isolated clusters among the stars (because the Eldar at the time decided to make a mess of warp travel until the birth of Slaanesh)

edit: Not aided by the fact, that the weaponry back then was much more destructive than what is currently available to humanity

Well, not quite the same, but similar, yes. Warp storms, dimensional barriers, the effect is the same, I suppose.

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, not quite the same, but similar, yes. Warp storms, dimensional barriers, the effect is the same, I suppose.

It doesn't help that the lore seems to have two conflicting narratives around humanity's downfall before the events in 30k. One version it was the Eldar created warp storms (as their excesses grew out of bounds) and in a different version it was humanity's hubris fiddling with technologies that shouldn't have been invented that lead to them imploding 🤷‍♂️

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not that familiar with the lore of Warhammer 40k to properly know all the ins and outs, but these events are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The Age of Technology lead to a great conflict that almost destroyed humanity (the war against AI, hence the AI ban in the Imperium), while the excesses of the Eldar led to the birth of the Prince of Darkness, heralded by intense warp storms, isolating clusters of systems and leading to the Age of Strife.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The lore tends to be a mix of contradictory on purpose at times, because they like to throw in the unreliable narrator of Imperial History as controlled, redacted, and redefined by various parts of the bureaucracy.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Also, because they add things for every new release and things don't always fit neatly into existing canon ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1) It is quite fascinating that there is hardly any wiki and game guide stuff out there.

So many choices and at best one Reddit discussion talking about there not being any info.

2) Shady, can you edit the title of this thread to capitalise the first letter? I went all the way to page six searching for it as I wouldn't notice it being all lowercase :)

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It is a shame that pre-release you could hardly even look for a release date without the Devs spoilering everything about the plot. So many parts of the game it would be so nice not to already know basically everything - who you will meet, where the next chapter will take you, what the big "plot twists" will be.

The devs were so eager to tell everything, if anyone met them on the street and asked for the way, they probably first told them all about this game's plot before telling them that they don't know the way either.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the game on GOG. Now I just need to find the time to also play the thing 😖

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just one piece of advice:

If you want to follow a specific alignment route, don't expect to find loads of chances to raise that alignment. You can skip the odd choice, but don't make a habit of it.

Just don't pick heretic when you discover Foulstone and the Order of the Hammer ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One other piece of advice: save once you have created your character and just give yourself enough skill points to pass every check in the game. It's but one little action, but it will have tremendous impact on your enjoyment of the game. It is just not worth interacting with the skill system. Do not think of it as cheating, but merely removing a needlessly time consuming and frustrating part of the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/16/2024 at 5:19 AM, melkathi said:

2) Shady, can you edit the title of this thread to capitalise the first letter? I went all the way to page six searching for it as I wouldn't notice it being all lowercase :)

I cannot. I'm not a mod or Gromnir, who I haven't seen in an age and hasn't responded to or viewed any messages I've sent and I'm starting to get worried. I still tried though just in case I really was Gromnir all along but didn't know it. 

• Sad 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

You should ask Eldar, do you really think it is a coincidence that he resurfaced and even wrote a blog post right after Gromnir disappeared?

• Haha 2