Anime and Manga - I respect the first human to have eaten a mushroom

Sarex

8 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

I went into the anime completely blind. Was not disappointed at all.

Hide contents

Alucard's full release was something else. Hordes of the people he devoured over the years killing the nazi vampires and catholic soldiers was unexpected.

Just reread the whole part from when

Spoiler

the boat comes in till the end.

Two new chapters of Berserk out. All in all the style seems to be there, though in a more simplified manner. If you don't pay attention to the small details you won't notice much. We'll see if this holds true in the future chapters, as Miura could have done some work on these ones.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

Just reread the whole part from when

Reveal hidden contents

the boat comes in till the end.

Two new chapters of Berserk out. All in all the style seems to be there, though in a more simplified manner. If you don't pay attention to the small details you won't notice much. We'll see if this holds true in the future chapters, as Miura could have done some work on these ones.

I will have to read Hellsing, but I like those types of scenes generally.

The Berserk chapters went exactly how I thought it would. There was just no damn way Guts would not attack Griffith on sight. And Zodd seems to have been following the moonlight boy around.

I noticed a difference with the art, it's not as good as Miura but it's still good. Maybe that will help Berserk ease into a more regular release schedule.

So I think we've seen that Griffith and the Moonlight boy share a physical body but are completely different entities and that the Dragonslayer can touch Griffith/Femto just a little bit. Which makes me think that Griffith is going to attack the Island and Guts very soon.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Samurai Champloo 9

The three get arrested after trying to go through a checkpoint with a fake pass. The guards offer to free them if Mugen make a delivery and come back by sunset. He ends up being arrested again, this time by a bunch of revolutionary monks. During his escape, the monks’ “sacred grass” field catches fire and everyone gets a lot more reasonable.

Samurai Champloo 10

Mugen and Fuu go hunt a murderer leaving Jin to do chores in a temple in exchange for food and shelter.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Half-way through Jujutsu Kaisen (via HBOmax). Took a couple episodes for me to "get into" it but I like it a fair bit now. It's weird/dark/violent but has the usual bits of silliness, conspiracy, and pathos - I also like that it so far often focuses on individuals (or maybe two chrs) at a time vs. constant almost forced multi-group dynamics (eg, I'm tired of the "must be equal male/female group" so they can pair off, thing in movies/games/series). I guess I like action, occasional absurdity and male perspective/camaraderie/chrs most often.  And of course, I often like the mentor or morally grey/anti-hero chrs. more than main leads. And sadly, those often get killed off, or just sorta disappear from screen. Hm, maybe that's why I lose interest in a lot of series after the first 2-3 seasons. HAH. "Supporting character syndrome" or something.

At any rate, it's ofc nothing deep but it's fun enough. Action sequences look great too. They'll make a season 2, I hear.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished Jujutsu Kaisen - still liked it. It's Shonen but bit less of that pre-teen boi flavor, and the few female chrs. they focus on are strong chrs. too. No cliffhanger ending but definitely needs that 2nd season. Based on some manga details they could probably (for my interests anyway) finish up some main threads in 1-2 seasons and then leave it alone. 😛 

I also forgot ... I watched another short anime on Netflix a bit ago - Vampire in the Garden. I liked that one a fair bit too, for the more touching/story/chr. oriented anime, albeit still supernatural. :)

• Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Rising of the Shield Hero 2.12

Glass’ party goes fight against the Wave while Naofumi and his friends deal with Kyo’s Frankenstein/Dr. Moreau experiments. And we have a Mirror hero now...

Spoiler

When facing Kyo, Naofumi surrenders to the Wrath Shield and admits he just uses Raphtalia and Filo, which doesn’t make sense, so he is probably mad with rage. Still, Kyo has a pretty good point about Naofumi using slave crests on them.

He then proceeds to humiliate Rishia, causing Kyo to laugh a lot, but she manages to start the process of calming him down and then keeps Kyo busy until Ost (in ghost form), Raphtalia and Filo bring Naofumi back to normal. For someone who is almost all the time insecure, Rishia does know how to rise to occasion when facing major threats.

Back to the other world, Naofumi receives the title of Viscount and finds out that the other three heroes did something useful (for the first time?) and dealt with the Wave over there on their own.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Spy x Family 12

Episodio-12-de-SPY-x-FAMILY-vai-adaptar-

Loid overhears his neighbors gossiping about him, speculating that they never see him with Yor and Anya, so he is probably having an affair. Since this could expose his false family, he decides to take Yor and Anya to the aquarium.

On the day they go, he is exhausted, receives another mission to be done in the aquarium and meets with some neighbors there too, which means he has to keep the appearances, do the side mission and avoid passing out.

Spoiler

The mission consists in getting a film with chemical weapons plans that has been swallowed by a penguin. The only problem is that there are 200 penguins there. 🤣

During the mission, the enemy agent runs away and Anya tries to help, grabbing him and shouting to Yor that she is being kidnapped, which results in Yor kicking his face so hard he ends up stuck on the ceiling.

Later, at home, she tries to enter her parents’ rooms (which have all kinds of dangerous things like weapons and poisons), they get angry and she starts to cry, forcing them to roleplay a spy mission with her to calm her down.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

34 minutes ago, Sarex said:

How many can you name?

Having actually watched:

• The End of Evangelion
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion

Recognize:

• Bleach
  • Spy x Family
  • Some JoJo's season
  • Something from some Dragonball
  • Some stuff from the Fate franchise

Going to assume that the volleyball anime showing up every now and then is Haikyuu!!.

Also, terrible song, but the video was clearly a lot of work, blending the Michael Bay cuts together like that. Mostly not my thing. In every way. :p

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

How many can you name? I got an embarrassingly large number of them.

This content cannot be displayed until agreeing to our use of Social Media cookies. Learn more.

Manage cookies

so that slam into wall gif are still in use

always surprise by what meme or reference survive more than a decade

like how flat is justice are still pretty common phrase among acg circle

• Like 1

What I recognized:
SpyxFamily (because of InsaneCommander's posts in this thread)
My Hero Academia (I think) because a specific character I read about (before having ever seen the show) sold me on trying it out and then it was the worst show I'd ever seen in my entire life (but I say that a lot, so).
Neon Genesis Evangelion
One Punch Man
Dragon Ball Z

Somehow, I didn't notice Madoka Magica (e: or JoJo? How did I miss that too? :huh:) which majestic says was in it. I suppose that's just as well, really.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

57 minutes ago, majestic said:

Also, terrible song, but the video was clearly a lot of work, blending the Michael Bay cuts together like that. Mostly not my thing. In every way. :p

Yeah, the song is not great, although with the combination of scenes it works. I was more interested to see how many shows people here recognized.

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Somehow, I didn't notice Madoka Magica (e: or JoJo? How did I miss that too? :huh:) which majestic says was in it. I suppose that's just as well, really.

There is a list of anime used in the description. For me I know these ones, but mostly from manga

• Darling in the Franxx
  • Spy x Family - Haikyuu!!
  • Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai
  • One Punch Man
  • Akame ga Kill!
  • Boku no Hero Academia
  • Kimetsu no Yaiba
  • Fate/Zero
  • Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
  • The End of Evangelion
  • Sword Art Online
  • Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru
  • Highschool of the Dead
  • Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
  • Dragon Ball Super
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Shingeki no Kyojin
  • Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
  • Kakegurui
  • Owari no Seraph
  • Chainsaw Man
  • Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
  • Bleach
  • Kizumonogatari
  • Hajime no Ippo
  • Bungou Stray Dogs
  • Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

I have not read/watched all of these, but still tried/know about them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

in the video for like half a second, starting at 53 seconds. It's from Stone Ocean, which I only recognize because of the pictures posted here, and then it cuts to you favorite anime character ever: Homura. :p

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

I have watched:

• Spy x Family

• One Punch Man

• Mushoku Tensei

• Kimetsu no Yaiba

• The End of Evangelion

• Dragon Ball

• JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean

• Puella Magi Madoka Magica

• Attack on Titan

• Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

I recognize:

• Darling in the Franxx

• Kaguya-sama

• Jujutsu Kaisen

• Fate/Zero

• Sword Art Online

• Dragon Maid

• My Dress Up Darling

• Bleach

This reminded me that I still  have to watch the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, which I heard are really bad when compared to the first one. The 4th season will be released now in July.

Minor spoiler:

Spoiler

There is zero "picking up girls in a dungeon" in this anime, iirc. It's more like "being rescued by girls in a dungeon", which happens plenty of times.

Edit: I had to check the list because I missed some. I also didn't recognized the name of "My Dress Up Darling".

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

This reminded me that I still  have to watch the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, which I heard are really bad when compared to the first one. The 4th season will be released now in July.

I started with the manga, ended up reading the novel recaps. Somewhere along the line I lost interest in it.

11 hours ago, Sarex said:

Very little, but I am very bad with names. I can recognize most of it though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Watched the five "OAD's" (whatever that stands for) of Tensura Nikki. I'll save @majestic's eyesight and not post pictures or clips of the swimsuit episode. It was funny though. Rimuru had taught the dwarven craftsmen how to make spandex and the tailors how to make bikinis of it. Lots of skin showing and Rimuru is really enjoying himself... until the guys shows up and start posing in their budgie smugglers on the beach 😂

The latter episodes elaborating on the life of the academy students (the ones Rimuru promised Shizu on her death bed, he would take care of). Teaching, training, good fun. Last episode ends up with the kids trapped in a training dungeon. They arrived earlier than planned and stumbled upon things best not stumbled upon. An undead character (Specter Lord of some such) and his human bandit henchmen wants to kill the 5 kids. The kids easily takes care of the bandits, but the undead boss is another league altogether. As he's about to kill the kids (which I suppose is something undead lords do for kicks), rescue arrives from an unexpected corner. A demon lord (which I know from watching youtube is "Diablo", aka the black primogenitor demon lord, aka 'Noir') says he wants to pay some respect to Shizu (which he met in combat in the last episode of season 1). Saving the kids from certain death ought to do. Then proceeds to completely wipe the floor with the undead lord and humiliate him a bit extra just for good measure. Basically dismembering him first, locking his head in a vice grip and then tear out his innards through his back while he dies screaming. Nothing like good role models for the kids 🙄

Will rewatch the first episodes of season 2 and share (if I feel it worth sharing) later

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

46 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Click-bait headline; Genis-Vell isn't replacing Carol Danvers in the comic.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 6/26/2022 at 3:27 AM, Sarex said:

How many can you name?

Bleach, Jujustu Kaisen (only since I just watched it 😛 ), One Punch Man, Attack on Titan.

I initially thought the volleyball was basketball in a couple of those microsecond clips but I guess not.

I (think) recognize some other faces here and there but I couldn't tell you what they were from or even if I watched any of whatever it is at some point. May just have seen commentators, VA-related or other type of clips.

Samurai Champloo 11

Without money they take up some jobs, but only Fuu ends up doing any work. Mugen gambles on beetle sumo and Jin takes simpathy for a woman who lost her freedom.

Samurai Champloo 12

Ten episodes later Mugen and Jin start to question their journey. Well, they did ask Fuu once, but then she got angry and they run away. Anyway, ten episodes. Well done, guys! :facepalm:

Spoiler

Mugen takes Fuu’s diary while she is bathing and he and Jin find out what she thinks about them. “Those bozos are pretty useless, don’t you think?” 🤣

47df1e46d1a9f5402c3e8d8f44775359207a7dda

Funny that she wants Jin to open up to her while she won’t elaborate on the sunflower samurai.

“Because of those guys, I’ve had lots of terrible things happen to me. I sometimes ask myself if I picked the right people to travel with.” 🤣

And when things get more friendly in the diary:

“I hope the three of us can keep traveling to the very end."

df6db8a27716d0de6f96a093a0dc36e11d9c3e72f7be6c3f76edd5241d77353a18e4d6f6ebadaafc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sign.jpg

The Rising of the Shield Hero 2.13: The Rising of Facepalms

shame.png

So, there was still one episode left this season, but I wish I didn’t know. In fact, I found out about this when one of the worst scenes in it was suggested to me on YouTube…

This was a filler episode (ending a season that rushed the story – why???) with some inappropriate stuff and it had better animation than some much more important scenes this season. We see several flashbacks, for example: the girls trying different outfits when they were in the other world. The problem is, they focused on Raphtalia and she looked like an infant girl at the time.:facepalm:

“Wh-why am I changing too?” - Rishia, noticing the fanservice as when they were trying swimsuits the focus was no longer only on Raphtalia. To make it worse, it seems that swimsuits don’t even exist in this world, according to the manga.

“Lolicon?” - Rishia and Raphtalia, after Kizuna (who also came from Japan) said Naofumi would like it if… Raphtalia raised her skirts and showed her legs (and they actually show it :banghead:).

23482a448f5ec140f8846ed5b02611021a53d914

This comment from YouTube is pretty appropriate: “Why is Kizuna a pervert when the only thing on her mind 24/7 is fishing?”

Oh, and they also revealed that Ost had explained to Raphtalia and to the childish Filo how to “mate”.

facepalm-head.jpg

Somebody in Crunchyroll’s comment section even called this a “filler episode to satisfy pedos”.

Thankfully that didn’t last long. The episode also showed how Kizuna survived alone in the extra-dimensional prison. She was sent there when she was 15, but at least as a Hunting Hero she could effortlessly carve wood and get food. Still very traumatic since she stayed there alone for three years and even came close to try hanging herself and getting crazy, creating her own imaginary friend, a “ball” that looked exactly like “Wilson” in Cast Away.

Terrible way to end a disappointing season.

• Confused 1

sign.jpg

22 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

The Rising of the Shield Hero 2.13: The Rising of Facepalms

shame.png

So, there was still one episode left this season, but I wish I didn’t know. In fact, I found out about this when one of the worst scenes in it was suggested to me on YouTube…

This was a filler episode (ending a season that rushed the story – why???) with some inappropriate stuff and it had better animation than some much more important scenes this season. We see several flashbacks, for example: the girls trying different outfits when they were in the other world. The problem is, they focused on Raphtalia and she looked like an infant girl at the time.:facepalm:

“Wh-why am I changing too?” - Rishia, noticing the fanservice as when they were trying swimsuits the focus was no longer only on Raphtalia. To make it worse, it seems that swimsuits don’t even exist in this world, according to the manga.

“Lolicon?” - Rishia and Raphtalia, after Kizuna (who also came from Japan) said Naofumi would like it if… Raphtalia raised her skirts and showed her legs (and they actually show it :banghead:).

23482a448f5ec140f8846ed5b02611021a53d914

This comment from YouTube is pretty appropriate: “Why is Kizuna a pervert when the only thing on her mind 24/7 is fishing?”

Oh, and they also revealed that Ost had explained to Raphtalia and to the childish Filo how to “mate”.

facepalm-head.jpg

Somebody in Crunchyroll’s comment section even called this a “filler episode to satisfy pedos”.

Thankfully that didn’t last long. The episode also showed how Kizuna survived alone in the extra-dimensional prison. She was sent there when she was 15, but at least as a Hunting Hero she could effortlessly carve wood and get food. Still very traumatic since she stayed there alone for three years and even came close to try hanging herself and getting crazy, creating her own imaginary friend, a “ball” that looked exactly like “Wilson” in Cast Away.

Terrible way to end a disappointing season.

EW5-fV0XQAA1Ya7?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Last week's Komi remained untalked about, apparently. It was the second part of the school trip and it was actually quite fine. It even had a decent payoff at the end. This will never really become good due to a number of bad decisions, but it really stopped being horrible a while back.

Not sure if that has to do with the insane stalker girl and dog girl being curiously absent. Except for a brief stint in the bath where dog girl's breasts were called giant meatballs (or something like that, anyway) and stalker girl tried to touch Komi's. Or rather, asked if she was allowed to. A couple more of those and I'll actually start believing that's what Japanese girls do when in the bath. Sheesh. :p

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

Last week's Komi remained untalked about, apparently. It was the second part of the school trip and it was actually quite fine. It even had a decent payoff at the end. This will never really become good due to a number of bad decisions, but it really stopped being horrible a while back.

Not sure if that has to do with the insane stalker girl and dog girl being curiously absent. Except for a brief stint in the bath where dog girl's breasts were called giant meatballs (or something like that, anyway) and stalker girl tried to touch Komi's. Or rather, asked if she was allowed to. A couple more of those and I'll actually start believing that's what Japanese girls do when in the bath. Sheesh. :p

DavidLynchWhatTheHell.gif