Qatar 2022 - The Thread!

Katphood

Brace yourself for all the Messi headlines, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There is a great scene in the movie Timbuktu where they are arguing about French football and one guy claims they bought the World Cup from Brazil for a boatload of rice. I couldn't find it, but here is an excellent scene regardless.

edit: We are watching this Friday in my classes.

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I'm rooting for Argentina too. If we can't have an African Champion and/or a country who never won before, at least let South America have it again after 20 years.

I wonder who the English will support.

Good question... they have a thing with the French (not forgiving France for winning the 100 year war), but they also hold a grudge against Argentina (not because of the Falklands, but because of Maradona's "Hand of God") 😂

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Im supporting France in the final 🇫🇷

I like Argentina but they bad winners and even worse losers. Everyone knows that 🥂

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wrong country

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd like France to win, just to enhance Giroud's success and Arsenal fans' bitterness over him

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Right its time to start predicting scores for the game today, I  am going with 2-1 to France

Its going to be a epic game either way and both teams have done exceptionally well to get to the finals 

I didnt think Argentina would get to the finals after losing to Saudi Arabia but they persevered and demonstrated there skill. Go Roquefort Team   ⚽

John Milton 

Normally I don't care much about the private lives of sportspeople.

However, previous WC winner Benjamin Mendy looks to be a rapist and is about to get sentenced soonish. Karim Benzema is a confirmed extortionist. Ousmane Dembele and Antoine Griezmann have enjoyed some fairly nasty racist fun at the expense of innocent Asians -- their club Barcelona had to make a public apology for the whole thing. Kylian Mbappé has engaged in some awfully prissy behaviour (not very serious, but weighs here).

Thus, there is no way I could dream of supporting France.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Normally I don't care much about the private lives of sportspeople.

However, previous WC winner Benjamin Mendy looks to be a rapist and is about to get sentenced soonish. Karim Benzema is a confirmed extortionist. Ousmane Dembele and Antoine Griezmann have enjoyed some fairly nasty racist fun at the expense of innocent Asians -- their club Barcelona had to make a public apology for the whole thing. Kylian Mbappé has engaged in some awfully prissy behaviour (not very serious, but weighs here).

Thus, there is no way I could dream of supporting France.

That doesnt seem like a very good reason to not support France? Its like you using bad apples as a reason to not support a fellow EU country? Are you sure thats how you feel?

John Milton 

48 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

That doesnt seem like a very good reason to not support France? Its like you using bad apples as a reason to not support a fellow EU country? Are you sure thats how you feel?

A significant proportion of the team behaving in incredibly bad ways, some of them committing serious crimes, is not a very good reason? That's an interesting take.

You seem to imply that I should support a fellow EU country instead of Argentina. What's the logic behind that? I can't see any. Why would that one insignificant fact, membership in the EU, determine my support or lack of it?

When I was much younger, I used to have sympathies for Holland in big tournaments, but once I had seen them take unsporting behaviour almost to an extreme (in the EC against Portugal and in the WC against Spain), I decided that that was enough: whenever Holland plays, I support their opponent. I have also watched a lot of football live, on various stadiums, and that has led me to support whoever Serbia plays against, because the Serbian team and their supporters have behaved in ways that I really don't enjoy. But my non-support towards Serbia is not as strong as that towards Holland or, these days, France.

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Them being French is enough reason for me to not support France.

BADUM TSHHHHHH 

I'll show myself out.:shifty:

You see the ref is Polish 🇵🇱

John Milton 

Yeah, glad I decided to clean my bedroom instead of wasting time watching this

• Haha 1

I wouldn't  want to be the French team in the change rooms :grin:

John Milton 

4 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Esta volviendo a casa.

Hoonding please, this is an English forum. We dont understand Argentinian 

John Milton 

Its like its not the same French team that beat England and Morocco, they seem fatigued and clumsy 

John Milton