The All Things Political Topic - Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities

ShadySands

57 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I just wonder at which point people will start ignoring the current idiocracy admin... 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/futures-climb-us-russia-reportedly-agree-hold-summit-ukraine

Russia always seemed to get better along with the GOP and having had a mutual hostility with the Dem's.... maybe Putin just wants to make sure no Democrat wins the next election?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

33 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Russia always seemed to get better along with the GOP and having had a mutual hostility with the Dem's.... maybe Putin just wants to make sure no Democrat wins the next election?

Gorthfuscious where have you been, you vanished for a few days ?I was worried you had joined the Russian military campaign against Ukraine :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

51 minutes ago, Gorth said:

He just needs to do nothing then? 

Failed social experiments, failed economic policies leading to inflation and economic slowdown in the H2 2022, failed China policy, and looking stupid with fearmongering around Russia? 

Even supporting Poland's nationalistic, anti-EU, authocratic and xenophobic gov, just to broker a deal aimed aginst Russia. (Abrams for 6B USD) 

Did I also mention failed eco-friendliness and being hypocrits in this area? 

Edited by Darkpriest

On another topic, today Trump's social media launches... 

I expect a spectacle in US media. Maybe finally they will stop fearmongering with war and will go to their tried amd tested Trump bashing... 

It will be an interesting area to watch. I think it will have a rocky start and will not be sustainable long term, esecially with its name... It'll go supernova, i.e. shine strongly and exploding initially, just to collapse on itself within 1-2 years. It will however cause spasm in the Twitter realm. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

On another topic, today Trump's social media launches... 

I expect a spectacle in US media. Maybe finally they will stop fearmongering with war and will go to their tried amd tested Trump bashing... 

It will be an interesting area to watch. I think it will have a rocky start and will not be sustainable long term, esecially with its name... It'll go supernova, i.e. shine strongly and exploding initially, just to collapse on itself within 1-2 years. It will however cause spasm in the Twitter realm. 

Im sure Trumps SM will have some worthwhile information but if its anything like  he used Twitter it will be full of hyperbole and misinformation ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious where have you been, you vanished for a few days ?I was worried you had joined the Russian military campaign against Ukraine :unsure:

Why would I do that? It would be much better if people could bury the antiquated and outdated construct of "nation states" and by the same token get rid of nationalism for good. I know it's an excellent tool for convincing the not too bright masses to go out and die happily for their lords and masters, but seriously... some day, in the case of Ukraine, somebody will realize that internal Soviet administrative borders does not make for good nation boundaries. Especially when it creates large, ethnic minorities whose rights are the first to get trampled on in the name of nationalism and national unity (and other drivel like that). Either find a working solution like Denmark and Germany did, or wholesale genocide like Sweden did with Danish population of Scania. There hasn't been any Danish rebellion there for a few centuries (although Sweden was very apprehensive when the bridge was built, connecting Malmo and Copenhagen) ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Why would I do that? It would be much better if people could bury the antiquated and outdated construct of "nation states" and by the same token get rid of nationalism for good. I know it's an excellent tool for convincing the not too bright masses to go out and die happily for their lords and masters, but seriously... some day, in the case of Ukraine, somebody will realize that internal Soviet administrative borders does not make for good nation boundaries. Especially when it creates large, ethnic minorities whose rights are the first to get trampled on in the name of nationalism and national unity (and other drivel like that). Either find a working solution like Denmark and Germany did, or wholesale genocide like Sweden did with Danish population of Scania. There hasn't been any Danish rebellion there for a few centuries (although Sweden was very apprehensive when the bridge was built, connecting Malmo and Copenhagen) ;)

Okay..thanks for the information  but I was just  asking where you were because I was worried about you?

I was joking about you joining the Russian military, I wasnt being serious :thumbsup:

John Milton 

18 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Okay..thanks for the information  but I was just  asking where you were because I was worried about you?

I was joking about you joining the Russian military, I wasnt being serious :thumbsup:

It’s called “life”… more important than correcting people who are wrong on the internet (insert appropriate meme here) 😝

• Haha 1

As expected Putin is now ignoring US admin and wants just talks with French, Germany and Ukraine. Postponing any talks of a US-Russia summit after the other format is conducted first. 

He does not want to give any ground to US to call any de-escalation as the US admins success. 

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

Seems like leaders of Luthanks and Donetks are right now in Moscow, publicly asking for official recognition.
That could mean that the next talks will be the final chance for a Minsk-based solution.

That's Putins game, and he is making his intention clear to media, so France and Germany will make Ukraine to buckle in the talks with all 4 involved later today or later this week. 

Putin is setting ground for US humiliation, as he will get Minsk accord implemented and will give Frane and Germany to bask in light of countries who brokered peace in Ukraine with Russia. 

• Hmmm 1

Russians claim to have captured a single PoW from Ukraines saboteurs. 

Probably some poor sod forced into theatrics, but uniform, Id etc can be verified. 

Although a better point would be made with those supposedly killed 5 UA soldiers crossing border with Russia, although such pictures in media would most likely get panic to 11, so they keep it to words only. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

That's Putins game, and he is making his intention clear to media, so France and Germany will make Ukraine to buckle in the talks with all 4 involved later today or later this week. 

And if they don't?
Taking things public means he can no longer back down without something to show for this mess.

So Putin committed to making the call today, there is only so much that last-minute diplomacy can do now.
Better yet, one recommendation was to use the pre-2014 borders which would mean that good deal of territory will need 'liberating' from Ukrainian 'occupation'.

Edited by pmp10

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

And if they don't?
Taking things public means he can no longer back down without something to show for this mess.

So Putin committed to making the call today, there is only so much that last-minute diplomacy can do now.
Better yet, one recommendation was to use the pre-2014 borders which would mean that good deal of territory will need 'liberating' from Ukrainian 'occupation'.

He either already knows he got it and now is just a theatrics, or i gave him too much of a credit and he is willing to isolate Russia from the West for good and be 100% dependant on China, which would make him a cretin, for doing so for non important pieces of land. 

19 hours ago, rjshae said:

Well Faux News is available in Canada, so they may be having some of the same irrational influence up there. Besides, everybody can join the same forums on the net.

Yes, but we have people up here chanting "USA", talking about their First Amendment rights (look up the 1st amendment to the Canadian Constitution) and doing other wacko crap like saying they fly the Confederate flag out of pride.   Many Canadians don't know what country they're in :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

Russia seems to repeat strategy they used in Crimea. Supporting repel area to get independence from the Ukraine and then letting it to decide that it wants to join in Russia.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/crimeas-technically-flawe_b_4992908

How did he give the the people of Crimea a choice, the "referendum " didnt have a option that said " we want  to keep things as they are ". To quote from the link 

Crimeans were offered only two alternatives: independence or greater autonomy. Maintaining the status quo was not an option.

Thats not a referendum Elerond and thats  apart from the other issues about it mentioned in the link?

John Milton 

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Yes, but we have people up here chanting "USA", talking about their First Amendment rights (look up the 1st amendment to the Canadian Constitution) and doing other wacko crap like saying they fly the Confederate flag out of pride.   Many Canadians don't know what country they're in :lol:

Malc this might be the right time for Canada to become part of the US, I suggested this years ago and you shot the idea down but it looks like Canadians may be more amenable to the idea?

Maybe a referendum ? It has lots of benefits and if you become the next  US state you dont have to worry about that pesky border ....

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/crimeas-technically-flawe_b_4992908

How did he give the the people of Crimea a choice, the "referendum " didnt have a option that said " we want  to keep things as they are ". To quote from the link 

Crimeans were offered only two alternatives: independence or greater autonomy. Maintaining the status quo was not an option.

Thats not a referendum Elerond and thats  apart from the other issues about it mentioned in the link?

Like I said he will help them get independence so that they can join Russia. Meaning that he will use pseudo democracy to annex areas from Ukraine to Russia. It is theatrical performance for Russian to so that he is the great doer opposed by evil west

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Malc this might be the right time for Canada to become part of the US, I suggested this years ago and you shot the idea down but it looks like Canadians may be more amenable to the idea?

Maybe a referendum ? It has lots of benefits and if you become the next  US state you dont have to worry about that pesky border ....

Some Canadians having mental illness should not be a motivation for anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Russian recognition of Luhansk and Donetsk republics has been officially announced.
No details yet, but arming of the separatists should be expected at a minimum.
Or they might skip a few escalation steps and move the Russian troops right in.

This means Minsk accords are dead and dissected and EU will have to respond with sanctions.
The only question being if they will go beyond symbolic ones. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Some Canadians having mental illness should not be a motivation for anything.

Yeah, Im just joking. Besides you part of the Commonwealth, you dont want to give that up 

John Milton 

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

Russian recognition of Luhansk and Donetsk republics has been officially announced.
No details yet, but arming of the separatists should be expected at a minimum.
Or they might skip a few escalation steps and move the Russian troops right in.

This means Minsk accords are dead and dissected and EU will have to respond with sanctions.
The only question being if they will go beyond symbolic ones. 

Oh great Uncle Sam and his corporate media attaché is going to go even more ballistic and inflammatory now.  Just what we need.  Russia's big **** energy is greeted with severe menstruation and it's really starting to annoy me.

Also, Putin can't help himself with his anti-Soviet jabs, can he?  Whelp, younger Russians are warming up to the KPRF (It's mostly Gen-X Russians who support Putin) so perhaps KPRF will finally grow a spine (AND also support and recognize the LDNR).

Curious to see China's response to this.

Edited by ComradeYellow