Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

8 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

If I'm using it as a condiment I mix in some sriracha or hot sauce. It's very good that way, like the spicy ketchup from whataburger but better.

I hope this is just a case of us having very different ideas of ketchup, because that sounds nasty.

Pasta,_Swedish_meatballs_and_ketchup.jpg

Wikipedia to the rescue

• Gasp! 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Pasta,_Swedish_meatballs_and_ketchup.jpg

Wikipedia to the rescue

That looks horrifying.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

That looks horrifying.

It definetly looks more apetizing than mac'n'cheese 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

"Pasta, Swedish meatballs and ketchup" Thats wild.

The only time I eat ketchup is mixed with mayo, for my fries. I dont put it on my burgers (mustard and mayo) and if you put it on a hotdog around these parts, youll be asked to leave.

The meatballs look like "Mamma Scans" meatballs, and considering the size of the macaroni I'd say "snabbmakaroner" which is typically from kungsörnen, the colour of the ketchup would suggest Heinz, but colour is tricky.

14 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It definetly looks more apetizing than mac'n'cheese 😄

The hell it does. A good mac and cheese looks and tastes delightful, combining a crisp crust and creamy sauce with some pasta. Everything in that picture clashes, like you are hungover and just toss whatever is in a fridge together.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

10 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

The hell it does. A good mac and cheese looks and tastes delightful, combining a crisp crust and creamy sauce with some pasta. Everything in that picture clashes, like you are hungover and just toss whatever is in a fridge together.

Pfft, what in the Holy Emperors name are you on about? I can't even write down a description of what it looks like without driving people permanently loose their apetite for food 😄

Seriously though, that's literally what it is, it's a 5 minute meal, instant macaroni, looks like the guy went "fancy" and actually put the meatballs in a frying pan, I'm half surprised he didn't microwave them. He could've atleast used normal macaroni.

35 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Pfft, what in the Holy Emperors name are you on about?

The truth.

IMG_9329.jpg

36 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Seriously though, that's literally what it is, it's a 5 minute meal, instant macaroni, looks like the guy went "fancy" and actually put the meatballs in a frying pan, I'm half surprised he didn't microwave them. He could've atleast used normal macaroni.

But why ketchup? Just use some jarred sauce or something else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

bleach-eyes.gif

am from the dakotas, so am having witnessed first hand the scandinavian peculiarity o' using ketchup on pasta... as functional a replacement for marinara and/or italian gravy. mashed potatoes? nope. only kids. 

as we say, "exotic" doesn't travel.

our father picked up a strange habit when he were in the military: he used ketchup on his scrambled eggs. this culinary heresy didn't bother us as we took such as strong evidence we were secret adopted as 'posed to genetic related to our father. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

17 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

The truth.

IMG_9329.jpg

But why ketchup? Just use some jarred sauce or something else.

No.

Also, yuck. 😂

And thirdly, we don't really have much of that stuff here. And what there is is vile.

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am from the dakotas, so am having witnessed first hand the scandinavian peculiarity o' using ketchup on pasta... as functional a replacement for marinara and/or italian gravy. mashed potatoes? nope. only kids. 

as we say, "exotic" doesn't travel.

our father picked up a strange habit when he were in the military: he used ketchup on his scrambled eggs. this culinary heresy didn't bother us as we took such as strong evidence we were secret adopted as 'posed to genetic related to our father. 

HA! Good Fun!

We don't really eat scrambled eggs here, but eggs sunny side up with ketchup? It's a thing. Mix it up and scoop with bread. 🤢 My grandfather used to do it all the time, and it basically caused me to not eat breakfast every again.

Mambo sauce is good on mac and cheese and a lot of other things and has ketchup (it's basically ketchup, soy sauce, and hot sauce mixed together) in it

61IuZdPcykL._SX679_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0

Of course, some BBQ ribs (or pulled pork) over the macaroni and then covered in the sauce is even better

45 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

but eggs sunny side up with ketchup? It's a thing. Mix it up and scoop with bread.

This is my favorite way to eat runny eggs. I like ketchup a lot but I really only like it on fried potats, burgers, runny eggs, and occasionally a hot dog (yes, I'm a savage).

PS my wife is Yuropien and also has a strange relationship with ketchup as she also used to* commit heinous acts of brutality and barbarism with it.

*still does if I'm not around to provide better alternatives

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I dont put it on my burgers (mustard and mayo) and if you put it on a hotdog around these parts, youll be asked to leave.

PS I never thought anything about ketchup on a hot dog was weird until I worked for a place that was headquartered in Chicago

Plus where I come from we have what's called the Sonoran hot dog that is its own thing

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

No.

Also, yuck. 😂

And thirdly, we don't really have much of that stuff here. And what there is is vile.

First, it looks delicious.

Secondly, you have no room to talk after posting that ketchup ****.

Thirdly, I weep for you if yall don't have cheese or milk.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

PS I never thought anything about ketchup on a hot dog was weird until I worked for a place that was headquartered in Chicago

not a dirty harry fan?

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

First, it looks delicious.

Secondly, you have no room to talk after posting that ketchup ****.

Thirdly, I weep for you if yall don't have cheese or milk.

First, that is a damn dirty lie, it shouldn't be allowed to be shown without a trigger warning

Secondly, we eat the most ketchup in the world over here, we know our stuff.

Thirdly, we have eat the actual cheese here, instead of melting it into a homogenized gloop, you have no say about cheese, and for your information we used to be the second largest consumers in the world of milk, but even though we've dropped in ranking, we're still way above you! And we have better animal husbandry than you! So there! 😄

20 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Mambo sauce is good on mac and cheese and a lot of other things and has ketchup (it's basically ketchup, soy sauce, and hot sauce mixed together) in it

Of course, some BBQ ribs (or pulled pork) over the macaroni and then covered in the sauce is even better

This is my favorite way to eat runny eggs. I like ketchup a lot but I really only like it on fried potats, burgers, runny eggs, and occasionally a hot dog (yes, I'm a savage).

PS my wife is Yuropien and also has a strange relationship with ketchup as she also used to* commit heinous acts of brutality and barbarism with it.

*still does if I'm not around to provide better alternatives

We typically don't have stuff like that here, I was surprised to find barbecue sauce show up a few years ago. I'd have to find some specialty store, or make it myself, I'd probably skip on the soy sauce though, never was my favourite. Y'alls have some frigging fantastic hot sauces though, hands down the best.

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

We typically don't have stuff like that here, I was surprised to find barbecue sauce show up a few years ago. I'd have to find some specialty store, or make it myself, I'd probably skip on the soy sauce though, never was my favourite. Y'alls have some frigging fantastic hot sauces though, hands down the best.

To be fair, I think mambo/mumbo sauce is only really big in DC and maybe Chicago. I have to order it on Amazon as no stores around here carry it.

I remember how hard it was making dinner for my in-laws when I was in Estonia. The stores didn't have all the ingredients for some of the things I wanted to make or the had the item but it was completely different to what I was used to. I remember the main grocery store we went to had an American section that was hysterical to me as it was basically what you'd find in a typical gas station here.

1hOp5nw.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

To be fair, I think mambo/mumbo sauce is only really big in DC and maybe Chicago. I have to order it on Amazon as no stores around here carry it.

I remember how hard it was making dinner for my in-laws when I was in Estonia. The stores didn't have all the ingredients for some of the things I wanted to make or the had the item but it was completely different to what I was used to. I remember the main grocery store we went to had an American section that was hysterical to me as it was basically what you'd find in a typical gas station here.

I did a quick look for funsies and nothing came up around here, and I'm honestly not surprised. I've got some Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauces available here, tabasco and then I'm drawing a blank on american foodstuffs that are here. The cola and such are here too ofcourse, but I doubt it tastes much the same, and I know there are some stores that sell "cheese" too, but I've never looked at them to see if it's from america or just something a local dairy copied and produced.

So much pain this thread. Tongue in cheek part:

First: please, for the love of god, keep ketchup away from pasta. I love me my good ketchup, really, but noodles? What savage puts ketchup on noodles? But, well, let's never say that Scandinavians know anything about good food. :p

Second: putting ketchup on eggs isn't any better. That is, at best, an acceptable side effect of eating pan-fried or grilled knacker (kinda like baloney) with sunny side ups.

Third: Eating mayo with fries is borderline criminal, but something I sometimes induldge in too. Mixing it with ketchup, or even buying one of those dreadful pre-mixed disgusting sludges that are sometimes sold is a crime against humanity and should be prosecuted accordingly.

sddefault.jpg
Yuck. :x

Fourth: Käsespätzle > Mac'n'Cheese, but it is close.

Lastly: Milk is perfectly fine for making savory dishes and that goodly bechamel sauce, but it's not fine to insult the god of sausages by throwing milk on them after cookng them in a pan.

Real talk:

For @Keyrock (image repost): We've given up on making our rouladen into rouladen shape. Why?

k1DRxZ8.jpg

Because we just make a beef "pouch" to hold as many pickles, mustard and onions as you can possibly stuff into it. Yeah, it's that good.

For the record, I also don't have any issue with cream based sauces or gravy. They should just not be put on beautiful, crispy meatballs. It is acceptable to eat condiments with them, perhaps even decent ketchup (which means not Heinz). I also stand by them having to be properly deep fried in clarified butter. For anything else? Just make meatloaf. :yes:

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Speaking of mayo, I switched to Avocado Mayo a few years ago. It took a bit of time to adjust my palette, but I enjoy it quite a bit now. I was having issues with the oil they use in most mayo, I think.  

970028675-ECOM?$ng-ecom-pdp-desktop$&def

edit: I use it as a sandwich spread and the occasional artichoke dip.

Edited by Hurlshort

29 minutes ago, majestic said:

So much pain this thread. Tongue in cheek part:

First: please, for the love of god, keep ketchup away from pasta. I love me my good ketchup, really, but noodles? What savage puts ketchup on noodles? But, well, let's never say that Scandinavians know anything about good food. :p

For the record, I also don't have any issue with cream based sauces or gravy. They should just not be put on beautiful, crispy meatballs. It is acceptable to eat condiments with them, perhaps even decent ketchup (which means not Heinz). I also stand by them having to be properly deep fried in clarified butter. For anything else? Just make meatloaf. :yes:

Who's putting ketchup on noodles? What'd I miss? 😱 Do you really think we'd be the worlds biggest consumers of ketchup if we had good food? 😄

Also, there's exactly three kinds of ketchup to buy here, Felix (Which is vile), Heinz (Passable) and hela Curry ketchup. Sometimes not even curry ketchup 😂 https://www.ica.se/handla/sok/ketchup?s=maxi-ica-stormarknad-alingsas-id_01841

Edited by Azdeus

8 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Who's putting ketchup on noodles?

Whoever made your meatball image clearly has ketchup on... well, pasta. :p Ugh.

What are you dissing Felix ketchup for, it's the only edible ketchup there is (the sugar reduced variety, at that, less sweet). Hela is okay in a pinch. Heinz is vile. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.