I've finally reached the end of Seeker, Slayer Survivor again and... I'm honestly a bit confused as to what to do next. It seems there are several paths I'm locked out of because I don't have the right skills and didn't use the souls to empower Muātu. Which I had no idea what it would even accomplish. So now my two choices are either to have Whehami possess the giant reptile, which seems to lead to its terrorizing the archipelago later, or fighting my way out. But I'm not sure what happens in the latter case. It all seems muddied and reliant on players making choices without knowing what they'll lead to.

The first time I played this DLC, which was a while ago, I did it after finishing the main storyline so I didn't see the ending slides. And I don't remember what I did. Now it seems like I locked myself out of all good endings unknowingly.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

I kinda think there are no good endings in SSS.

You can fight Whehami and keep him trapped but that kinda sucks for Whehami.  He's kind of an ass but that doesn't mean he deserves to be trapped running Galawain's little side wheel and never get a chance at life again.

You can help Whehami get free but he'll terrorize deadfire as you pointed out.  And that includes trapping someone else's soul there, denying them the chance at future lives.

When you escape you can choose to keep the pillar severed or repair it.  If you sever it you kind of mess up the island as souls get stuck and turn into blights.  If you repair it you're perpetuating Galawain's little setup encouraging gladiator fights and his ability to siphon extra soul essence to strengthen himself.  You're basically in the position of Eothas- do you break this miniature wheel or repair it?

The ending I would want is to somehow demolish the crucible such that souls there re-enter the normal wheel, including Whehami, and so that Galawain doesn't get to run his personal gladiator arena anymore.  But I also like the parallels to Eothas' dilemma in how it currently plays out.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 2:49 PM, MortyTheGobbo said:

I ended up fighting Whehami, which seems like it'll lead to the less-bad ending, but Galawain still sics his giant lizard at me for some reason. I guess he's just even more of a jackass than the rest of the gods.

it is possible to avoid the final fight, but you have to make galawain pretty happy with you. some combination of the following:

1. choosing a background where you gave souls to galawain
  2. empowering the wilds around kazuwari enough times you finish one of the main SSS quests
  3. NOT letting aexica/whehami escape
  4. NOT showing him the tooth after you come back from dealing with whehami

I think there's some internal counter that tracks these, so if you do things that tick galawain off (bad background, or showing him the tooth) you can counterbalance by empowering kazuwari more often, and if galawain is already pretty happy with you (good background, not showing him the tooth) you can get away with doing less of the others. 

On 11/10/2021 at 7:32 PM, crdvis16 said:

I kinda think there are no good endings in SSS.

I saw the whole island as a haven for wild things. Yes, there's a gladiator arena, but the people fighting in there choose to do so. In return the animals and wild creatures absorb some of their soul essence and get stronger. Everywhere else, nature is being destroyed, so I felt like preserving this was the right thing to do.

The background to the construction of the crucible is pretty dark, though.  Keeping it going in its original purpose is a continuation of a pretty dark Engwithan experiment/proof of concept and it also allows Galawain to continue using the crucible as his own little wheel to empower himself. 

The contestants in the crucible buy into the whole struggle for survival motif but they also don't necessarily know the truth of how it was made and what its real purpose is.  Just like kith in general aren't all aware of the true nature of the gods and their origins and so worship them (perhaps out of ignorance) as if they were natural/worthy gods.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, thelee said:

it is possible to avoid the final fight, but you have to make galawain pretty happy with you. some combination of the following:

1. choosing a background where you gave souls to galawain
  2. empowering the wilds around kazuwari enough times you finish one of the main SSS quests
  3. NOT letting aexica/whehami escape
  4. NOT showing him the tooth after you come back from dealing with whehami

I think there's some internal counter that tracks these, so if you do things that tick galawain off (bad background, or showing him the tooth) you can counterbalance by empowering kazuwari more often, and if galawain is already pretty happy with you (good background, not showing him the tooth) you can get away with doing less of the others. 

Looks like it might have been possible to do on my original run, since I gave the soul to Galawain back then. I can't remember if I empowered the wilds then. Something to try next time, maybe.