The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

Lynch's Dune is better tbh.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see the conclusion of the new Dune. But it is very clearly a different tone and approach. I like them both and don't really think they need to be compared. They aren't in competition and it is a win if they are both good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see the conclusion of the new Dune. But it is very clearly a different tone and approach. I like them both and don't really think they need to be compared. They aren't in competition and it is a win if they are both good.

Don't make me get out the bamboo sword.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wait, is the Obsidian consesus that new Dune is bad? I missed the memo. I thought it was lukewarm to good reception.

How does the Obsidian hivemind dislike Dune but not absolutely hate Wheel of Time? Honestly it was the folks here that convinced me to finish the first episode of that.

37 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Wait, is the Obsidian consesus that new Dune is bad? I missed the memo. I thought it was lukewarm to good reception.

How does the Obsidian hivemind dislike Dune but not absolutely hate Wheel of Time? Honestly it was the folks here that convinced me to finish the first episode of that.

I think it's just me, most people here seem to have liked Dune. Also I have not read Wheel of Time and think the series looks bad. Guess I'm just a weird guy.

Speaking of weird, after digesting it over the week I have to say the Beta Test is my favorite movie of 2021. Which may seem like a backhanded compliment, but it is a genuinely great movie.

29 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

The new Dune is a better movie but I do think the old one was more fun. I haven't bothered with WoT but Hawkeye has been much better than I expected.

if am looking for one word to describe new dune, is gonna be an ironic choice: cold. there is a funereal solemnity to new dune which only disappears momentarily when jason momoa is on-screen, as if he didn't get memo that while the bulk o' the movie is happening on fictional arrakis, all actors is to pretend as if they is delivering their lines from a cemetery following the death o' a loved one, and likely a cold dublin graveyard in january at that.  am not saying new dune is bad, though am thinking the selection o' the scene for the end o' the movie is peculiar particular as is one o' the few scenes from dune which the director chooses to make changes to the source material. is a whole lotta excellent performances in new dune. is impressive visuals in new dune. am also gonna note new dune should have extra fan appeal 'cause is so faithful to book save in mostly minor ways and by way o' expository omission-- fans know why spice is vital and why mentats is a thing in the dune universe, but if new dune is your only exposure to frank herbert's universe, you is gonna be no more enlightened 'bout such after 2.5 hours o' viewing than you were before the experience. regardless, if am not told how hot it is on arakis, we would tend to think the actors were literal and figurative freezing 'cause is a cold, humorless and faithful adaptation o' the source material. that said, excellent performances and stunning visuals make new dune a worthy movie even if is a cold offering. 

haven't yet watched the rlm link provided by shady, so am not certain how those movie nerds felt 'bout the film. wouldn't be shocked if their opinion differs from ours. 

old dune is... weird. for some folks, weird is enough.

am gonna wait for end o' season one reviews for a second try at wot 'cause we got sixteen minutes into episode one and did not feel the need to watch more.

am enjoying hawkeye. as mentioned elsewhere, there is good reasons why we shouldn't like hawkeye and am curious why echo needed an additional handicap compared to her comic book iteration, but the show is fun and am looking forward to future episodes. after three episodes hawkeye continues to rank as our favorite marvel show since daredevil and jessica jones.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Not for me. New Dune is perfect and I've seen it 4 times already.

Also didn't read Wheel of Time, and the show is ... I don't know. Probably just watching it because I got nothing else going on right now. Though have to admit that I am usually sleeping through half of what is happening.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Wheel of Time is proving.. oddly interesting. Each episode keeps building, and has been getting better responses from the fanbase even as more of the book aspects are getting some mashed around. A chunk of the post-production apparently had issues due to the pandemic, and might be part of why there's some rougher aspects to it. Also while they've got a chunk of money from Amazon, they haven't got silly money like the LoTR series has, and it seems that a lot of the first seasons budget was on establishing work for later use.

Although given how well WoT is apparently doing (rating up there with Hawkeye on Disney for viewer ratings, and apparently having become the most pirated show currently), the budget might be getting increased. You can see the money they do have has been spent on costumes and set design and world aspects, although that's one of the reasons why the showrunner has said for changes in the show vs the books, they want to build physical sets and practical effects for long term use rather than constantly rely on CGI.  But then you get a few moments where it feels like Xena with budgetary constraints and they're doing workaround with a handful of Czech extras.

I'm taking it as a show to be a companion to my enjoyment of the books, rather than a pure adaption of the books.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

tbh I'm still not sure why there needs to be a LotR show. Personally I'm still feeling quite full from the 3 movies even though they are like 20(?) years old now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 minutes ago, Lexx said:

tbh I'm still not sure why there needs to be a LotR show. Personally I'm still feeling quite full from the 3 movies even though they are like 20(?) years old now.

Money...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

I like the new Dune movie. The only issue I had with it is the cut in the middle.

That's my issue and it's a huge one. For all of it's flaws Lynch's Dune was a complete story, while Villeneuve's is such sequel bait that in retrospect the movie feels like a 2.5 hour trailer and info dump. Maybe It will be better when Dune Part 2 drops in two or three years, but right now I'm not too fond of it.

56 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Weren't there 6 movies? :p

They've held up very well. I watched them last summer with my son and he enjoyed them quite a bit, and it got him to read The Hobbit. But 20 years is a long while, and I would imagine generating interest with a new generation is part of the reasoning. Still a long ways to go before we are drowning in Tolkien content like we are with Marvel and Star Wars.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 minute ago, Hurlsnot said:

Weren't there 6 [LotR] movies?

That's the same as suggesting more than one Matrix film was made. It's something that contemptuous fools occasionally do...but that's all, :).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's the same as suggesting more than one Matrix film was made. It's something that contemptuous fools occasionally do...but that's all, :).

The Animatrix would like a word.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

The Animatrix would like a word.

Listed as an OVA in many places, I rest my case. Especially seeing as Hurlshot appears to have just immolated himself in the final post he'll ever make, the poor sod, ;(.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Listed as an OVA in many places, I rest my case

It's an anthology film, ergo it is another Matrix movie. Don't make me get out Mari or the JoJo tongue gifs.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

It's an anthology film, ergo it is another Matrix movie. Don't make me get out Mari or the JoJo tongue gifs.

In that case, I am sorry that you consider The Animatrix to either not exist and/or be terrible. From what I had thought I had previously heard, it was supposed to be at least alright and actually exist, but I will trust your judgement on this one, :yes:.

3 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

In that case, I am sorry that you consider The Animatrix to either not exist and/or be terrible. From what I had thought I had previously heard, it was supposed to be at least alright and actually exist, but I will trust your judgement on this one, :yes:.

I can't remember The Animatrix enough to have an opinion, I'm using it to prove that more than one Matrix was made.

Now the sequel that's rumored to drop in theaters the end of this year is another story.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Again, only worth acknowledging for

O9DaBIp.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

27 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Again, only worth acknowledging for

Whoa.png

Spoiler

I must just sound like the biggest prick whenever I'm posting in this thread. I wish there was something I could do about it, but I guess that's fate, :).

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Whoa.png

Reveal hidden contents

I must just sound like the biggest prick whenever I'm posting in this thread. I wish there was something I could do about it, but I guess that's fate, :).

That's not true, it's not just this thread! And I am the biggest lmao.

beta-test-header.jpg

• Gasp! 1