The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

On 1/27/2022 at 5:01 AM, Lexx said:

Just watched Netflix' Don't Look Up and now I'm depressed.

the movie are pretty cathartic compare to just stewing in ever increasing pressure and dread

always shaking and panicking for no specific reason

everything end and everyone die

the end

Moving through the Netflix backlog and watched The Perfection. It utilizes two different flashbacks to explain twists and was honestly meh. I guess it's cool if you've got an hour and a half to kill but it was a bit of a let down.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I really liked Ex Machina and Annihilation, so I'm interested in this one greatly.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan in 1978 during the brainstorming process of creating Indiana Jones:

KASDAN: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

LUCAS: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

KASDAN: And he was forty-two.

LUCAS: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

SPEILBERG: She had better be older than twenty-two.

LUCAS: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

SPIELBERG: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

LUCAS: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen, it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

SPIELBERG: She has pictures of him.

An actual conversation between Indiana and Marion from the first Indiana Jones film..:

INDIANA: I never meant to hurt you.

MARION: I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it!

INDIANA: You knew what you were doing.

MARION: Now I do. This is my place. Get out!

Thanks, George - glad I'll remember this one anytime I re-watch Indiana Jones.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The thing that really confuses me is that Spielberg apparently said that "she had better be older than 22" (22 - 12 = 10, she would have been ten years old, George Lucas - quick maths!)...and then the very next thing he says is that "let's make it her fault by having her be promiscuous". What the hell, guys? Luckily, all that really materially exists of that idea in the film is that one solitary thread of conversation, especially because the actress, Karen Allen, was actually in her late 20s at the time of filming.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Its funny, until the internet, I always assumed that scene where Marion confronts Indy in the bar meant a late teen Marion (based on the actress's age) had a crush on Jones and he used her interest to get access to her dad and that's what their ultimate falling out was over, not that she was 12 and he was whatever and they had a sexual relationship.  Then the internet happened.

• Sad 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

54 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Its funny, until the internet, I always assumed that scene where Marion confronts Indy in the bar meant a late teen Marion (based on the actress's age) had a crush on Jones and he used her interest to get access to her dad and that's what their ultimate falling out was over, not that she was 12 and he was whatever and they had a sexual relationship.  Then the internet happened.

Well, I hope you'd heard this before and it wasn't me that ruined it. Personally, I never really thought about it that much - the conversation just sounded like a writing device to indicate that something had occurred in the past that left Marion the big mad at Indiana, and that's really all it had to be as a way to quickly setup some character history as well as some motivations for how they were going to act towards each other for the rest of the film. Then the internet happened, and I was told that no, that's there because the creators of this film deliberately thought out that Indiana raped the poor girl when she was anywhere between 10 and 12 years of age. Thanks internet, thanks George Lucas - very cool.

Edited by Bartimaeus
lmao, I accidentally wrote "Mario" instead of "Marion"
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Thanks internet, thanks George Lucas - very cool.

Not sure what's worse, Lucas suggesting that Indiana Jones had an "affair" with a 10/12-year-old or Spielberg immediately turning that into Marion having pictures and being a promiscuitive Lolita.

Do you think they made this face when talking about it?

tumblr_moii7lJQgv1rwcmrwo1_500.gif

:p

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Well, I hope you'd heard this before and it wasn't me that ruined it. Personally, I never really thought about it that much - the conversation just sounded like a writing device to indicate that something had occurred in the past that left Marion the big mad at Indiana, and that's really all it had to be as a way to quickly setup some character history as well as some motivations for how they were going to act towards each other for the rest of the film. Then the internet happened, and I was told that no, that's there because the creators of this film deliberately thought out that Indiana raped the poor girl when she was anywhere between 10 and 12 years of age. Thanks internet, thanks George Lucas - very cool.

No I heard it before. Thankfully I'm a subscriber to 'the author is dead' line of thinking and thus what they discussed making the film or even what they intended is really irrelevant to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Amentep said:

No I heard it before. Thankfully I'm a subscriber to 'the author is dead' line of thinking and thus what they discussed making the film or even what they intended is really irrelevant to me.

Yeah, death of the author is the only way to stay sane, especially in this age of Twitter and JK Rowlings.

44 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not sure what's worse, Lucas suggesting that Indiana Jones had an "affair" with a 10/12-year-old or Spielberg immediately turning that into Marion having pictures and being a promiscuitive Lolita.

I shouldn't have, but I burst out laughing at this. Thanks internet, thanks George Lucas...and thanks majestic, :p.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, majestic said:

They don't seem to be embarrassed, so no. Probably more like one of Tiger's Eye faces.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

I remember seeing David Lynch saying something about how he liked that no two screenings of a film were alike and how it was great that people could walk away with different interpretations. Thankfully I can ignore the pedophilic vibes in a movie I haven't seen in over a decade.

58 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, death of the author is the only way to stay sane, especially in this age of Twitter and JK Rowlings.

I dunno, I haven't read or watched anything Rowlings has been involved with long before the apps revealed she is an awful person. So there's always dumping the author.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

3 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

I dunno, I haven't read or watched anything Rowlings has been involved with long before the apps revealed she is an awful person. So there's always dumping the author.

What, were the hook-nosed goblins that nobody liked being the bankers in the Philosopher's Stone already too much for you? :skull:

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

What, were the hook-nosed goblins that nobody liked being the bankers in the Philosopher's Stone already too much for you? :skull:

No, I just stopped caring about Harry Potter when I became a teenager.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KP the Torque Dork said:

No, I just stopped caring about Harry Potter when I became a teenager.

Sorry, I actually can't read, hence the strange response - I thought you said she was revealed to be an awful person long before she got on Twitter, but upon re-read, you did not say that at all, just that you didn't care about Harry Potter to begin with...which makes a lot more sense. Whoops.

• Gasp! 1

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sorry, I actually can't read, hence the strange response - I thought you said she was revealed to be an awful person long before she got on Twitter, but upon re-read, you did not say that at all, just that you didn't care about Harry Potter to begin with...which makes a lot more sense. Whoops.

Happens to me all the time.

If I reread the books now I'd probably pick up on how awful they are, like how wizards have slavery but it's cool because the slaves are happy or the racial stereotypes for anyone who isn't a britbong. But at the time the worst thing is that they were boring and I wasn't interested in children's books in general.

• Like 1

I found out about the Indiana Jones thing when I watched a Legal Eagle video about laws broken by Indiana Jones and went 'oh no'. I guess when I first saw it I thought she was speaking figuratively or something I dunno, like 'comparatively, I was much younger' which is maybe still creepy, but not 25 year old shagging a 15 year old creepy.

I think WB is planning to release THE BATMAN to HBO Max 45 days after it starts its theatrical run.  After the lawsuits around day and date releases, I suspect that the same will be true of the others.

• Thanks 1