avowed or TOW2

Theonlygarby

Well we don't know the scope of TOWII but this one is in development since less than two years according to Linkedin's profiles while Avowed is in development since late 2018. 

So I think Avowed will release before TOWII.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ordo! said:

Well we don't know the scope of TOWII but this one is in development since less than two years according to Linkedin's profiles while Avowed is in development since late 2018. 

So I think Avowed will release before TOWII.

Yeah, that seems reasonable.  By project codenames, Avowed is three projects older than TOW2.  

We really don't know much about the two in the middle, so it's hard to gauge if it's a big head start or a little head start, but TOW2 is the most recent project they've announced.

There is also the question of the scope of the projects

-According to the leaks Avowed is an open-world so it's a pretty big game.

-For TOWII Cain and Boyarski said in interviews that they don't wanted TOWII to be an open-world, so maybe it's a smaller game. However we now know that the Game Director of TOWII is Brandon Adler so i don't know if the interviews of Cain and Boyarski are still relevant.

• Like 1

Preproduction work for Avowed began almost immediately after Deadfire in 2017, two years before The Outer Worlds released. So it's farther along. I suspect that they won't go take the budget approach to TOW2 like they did in 1 (I think there's a good chance they try to implement NPC AI and scheduling and some other more difficult stuff to make the world feel more alive). I wouldn't be surprised if Avowed has a sneaky 2022 release, though I'm thinking 2023 is almost a lock. I doubt TOW2 is closer than 2024.

3 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Preproduction work for Avowed began almost immediately after Deadfire in 2017, two years before The Outer Worlds released. So it's farther along. I suspect that they won't go take the budget approach to TOW2 like they did in 1 (I think there's a good chance they try to implement NPC AI and scheduling and some other more difficult stuff to make the world feel more alive). I wouldn't be surprised if Avowed has a sneaky 2022 release, though I'm thinking 2023 is almost a lock. I doubt TOW2 is closer than 2024.

Are you sure that the preprod of Avowed started before the acquisition by Xbox ? I think they said that Avowed was possible thanks to this acquisition.

On 6/30/2021 at 12:02 AM, Ordo! said:

-For TOWII Cain and Boyarski said in interviews that they don't wanted TOWII to be an open-world, so maybe it's a smaller game.

Open-world or no open-world has little to do with ambition. We know quite nothing about tOW2, but considering how well it did, I would be surprised if they invested less in this project then a PoE spin-off. Even so, smaller team doesn’t mean shorter development time.

Edit. Either way, they had nothing to show for Avowed year ago, and they have nothing to show for TOW2 now - so I assume Avowed is ahead 

Edited by Wormerine

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Open-world or no open-world has little to do with ambition. We know quite nothing about tOW2, but considering how well it did, I would be surprised if they invested less in this project then a PoE spin-off. Even so, smaller team doesn’t mean shorter development time.

Edit. Either way, they had nothing to show for Avowed year ago, and they have nothing to show for TOW2 now - so I assume Avowed is ahead 

Yes you are right.

Anyway, right now Obsidian has four projects in dev (Grounded, Avowed, TOWII and Josh Sawyer's Project) and we know literally nothing about three of them. So I think (hope) that we will learn some infos about one of them this year.

4 hours ago, Ordo! said:

Yes you are right.

Anyway, right now Obsidian has four projects in dev (Grounded, Avowed, TOWII and Josh Sawyer's Project) and we know literally nothing about three of them. So I think (hope) that we will learn some infos about one of them this year.

Obsidian seems to be keeping up with the state naming convention.  There may even be more than four things in various stages of production. 

18. Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity 2
19. Indiana - The Outer Worlds
-------------------------
20. Mississippi - [???]
21. Illinois - [???]
22. Alabama - Avowed
23. Maine - Grounded
24. Missouri - [Josh Sawyer's unannounced project]
25. Arkansas - The Outer Worlds 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Obsidian seems to be keeping up with the state naming convention.  There may even be more than four things in various stages of production. 

18. Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity 2
19. Indiana - The Outer Worlds
-------------------------
20. Mississippi - [???]
21. Illinois - [???]
22. Alabama - Avowed
23. Maine - Grounded
24. Missouri - [Josh Sawyer's unannounced project]
25. Arkansas - The Outer Worlds 2

Our lists match up! :)

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2021 at 2:00 AM, Ordo! said:

Are you sure that the preprod of Avowed started before the acquisition by Xbox ? I think they said that Avowed was possible thanks to this acquisition.

From what we know Microsoft and Obsidian were talking for close to a year, which would put them just months after Deadfire's release and avowed was a part of their pitch.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

The Outer Worlds 2 has been in development since 2019.

If you remember, OW was content locked for a good year before release. Considering the reception the announce trailer received it makes sense MS would want their new IP to be a properly marketed/budgeted follow up. 

Avowed seems a bit too ambitious for a studio working on 4 different games. It's going to need more time in the oven than OW2. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

In what way? All we know 100% is that t's a first-person RPG. 

Nevermind that two of those projects are roughly 15-person teams working on passion projects rather than AAA titles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Based purely on the order in which they were announced, I would say Avowed is likely further into development. If reports from two months ago are to be believed, Avowed is likely currently in an alpha state.

We also know that both Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 (and Josh's game) are currently "playable" based on one of Josh's tweets, but playable in no way means anything near completion. TOW2 and Josh's game could simply be vertical slices, and that's a very early stage in development.

Weird, this topic sprouted up.  I still think outer worlds 2.  If avowed is going to be "bigger than skyrim"(pretty sure they said that at some point) and presuming it's not as hollow as skyrim, and they are starting from scratch, it's going to take a long time.

Outerworlds can be completely unique, it doesn't have much lore it can break, if any really.  It has stuff it can pull from, but not to the level of eora.  Seems like it would be easier to write.