nfl 2021-2022

Gromnir

On 12/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, Gromnir said:

is way before our time, but if even half o' the ty cobb stories is true, rodgers is at best fighting for second place for most contempt worthy mvp in american sports history. 

HA! Good Fun!

As I understand it, most of the stories of Cobb's antics derive from the same source, a bio written by Al Stump who Cobb had initially worked with on an official biography, before they had a falling out.  Modern research hasn't been able to verify all of the claims against Cobb.  For example while he did fight a groundskeeper (i think that's the right position) and beat them up, it doesn't seem to be racially motivated like Stump claimed as digging into the historical newspaper accounts and the employment records, the reported race of the groundskeeper is wrong; additionally Cobb advocated for the integration of Baseball long before it happened.  He did go into the stands and beat up a heckler, but Babe Ruth attempted the same thing.   He was an aggressive competitor, and had a temper and held grudges, but some of the modern scholarship seems to indicate that he wasn't as bad as has long been thought (even uncovering good things he did, like making sure his teams didn't strand batboys in away cities if they didn't make enough money on the trip to cover the cost of getting the batboy home).

Still might qualify as the most contempt worthy mvp, but I was really surprised to read about some of the new information about him that's come out.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jets played the Bills close until the 4th quarter. We had something like 4 out of 5 starting offensive linemen out, and 2 backups were out as well. We couldn't reliably get a first down and our defense was on the field for almost 40 minutes.

My guess for wins was way off, but to be fair I could've never guessed how many injuries we had all year let alone the lack of league covid policy changes to suit the situation. It will be fascinating to watch what the Pats do this offseason 'cause history isn't kind to teams that spend most of their capital in a single offseason in free agency (they overperform the first season and fall apart the second). I suspect that they'll try to restructure all those contracts or make trades to get rid of some of them.

10 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Muh Boys are facing the Niners in the wild card round next week for our customary immediate exit from the playoffs.

Prescott sort of reminds me of Marino / Fouts. Eye popping numbers (for their time) but always comes up small when it matters most.

Mmm, Falcons ending the season with an L.  Not surprising, but there was always hope we'd overcome longtime rival NO.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Prescott sort of reminds me of Marino / Fouts. Eye popping numbers (for their time) but always comes up small when it matters most.

I can't imagine the merciless mocking of the Packers if they hadn't won one early on into Rodgers' career.

17 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Muh Boys are facing the Niners in the wild card round next week for our customary immediate exit from the playoffs.

I think the Cowboys and the 49ers are the worst match-up for the Packers, so I'm appreciative of them playing each other right off the bat. Admittedly, the Packers always find a way to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs even when it makes literally zero sense, but still. If the Cowboys win, they have to go play the Buccaneers...unless the Buccaneers miraculously lose to the Eagles, I guess. It's nice to have the #1 seed.

6 hours ago, Amentep said:

Mmm, Falcons ending the season with an L.  Not surprising, but there was always hope we'd overcome longtime rival NO.

At least it didn't end up mattering, what with the 49ers winning.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Looks like Tony Pollard is good to go for the wildcard game and Trevon Diggs and Micah Parsons will almost certainly play. All things considered, barring an outbreak of the dreaded OMICRON, muh Boys are quite healthy going into the playoffs. Our only notable injury is Michael Gallup and, as @Gfted1pointed out, we're ludicrously loaded at WR. Losing our #3 WR isn't a big deal.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

52 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

Football but not NFL related, congrats Bulldogs.

Yes, even though I hate college ball, it was nice to see not-Alabama win.

@Keyrock How confident you feeling about the 49ers game?

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@Keyrock How confident you feeling about the 49ers game?

Confident? I'm already looking for a rock to hide under for after our L.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

The Pats got taken to the woodshed by Buffalo in the first half. :bat:

If they were taken out behind the woodshed in the first half, they were then repeatedly machined gun in the head in the second half.

I'm fully prepared for today. I have a big bottle of rum in anticipation of muh Boys losing in the most embarrassing and heartbreaking way possible. I have to work tomorrow so I can't get blackout drunk, but I can drink enough to ease the pain somewhat. I didn't choose the life of a Cowboys fan, it chose me. >_<

Prepare yourselves for increasingly more exasperated and unintelligible posts this afternoon.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm 1 drink in as the game starts. The Niners are possibly the worst matchup for muh Boys of all the NFC playoff teams. On the bright side, it's Nantz and Romo calling the game, so at least I can listen to the best commentating duo in the business call the gutwrenching stomach punch loss.

Edit: It's like we didn't even have a defense on the field on that first Niners drive. Time for another drink...

-16 yards on our first drive

giphy.gif

Apparently Mike McCarthy's gameplan is " let's commit a penalty on every single play." It's a bold strategy, let's see if it works out!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

That was a downright pathetic half from muh Boys. We're lucky to be only down by 9, quite frankly.

I couldn't help but laugh when the Cowboys receiver had no idea the ball was coming to him because the sun blinded him due to that stadium's stupid design. I've complained for years about the sun blinding the players in that stadium, so it was nice to see it bite the Cowboys, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

20 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I couldn't help but laugh when the Cowboys receiver had no idea the ball was coming to him because the sun blinded him due to that stadium's stupid design. I've complained for years about the sun blinding the players in that stadium, so it was nice to see it bite the Cowboys, :p.

Yes, it's a terrible stadium for anything except night games.

Meanwhile, muh Boys just got their 87th penalty of the game. The Niners have 1 penalty.

Edit: Bailed out after a downright sad 3 and out with a roughing the kicker on the punt. Make that 2 penalties on the Niners.

Edit 2: Our punter hit the stupid giant screen hanging above the middle of the field. I'm still amazed that doesn't happen more often.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

We should change the name of the team to the Dallas Neutral Zone Infractions.

Edit: Well, to nobody's surprise, we lost. Just a shameful performance all around. Everything said about Dak choking under pressure, hard to argue against that given this pathetic showing.

The silver lining is that we have a terrific punter. If only everybody else played that well.

Edit 2: It's bad enough that our team is playing like garbage, we don't need the officials actively screwing us too. The referee was in the middle of our O line doing God knows what while the play clock was ticking away. Then we get a delay of game penalty because we can't snap the ball while the ref is standing on top of our center. What the ****!?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

48 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Edit 2: It's bad enough that our team is playing like garbage, we don't need the officials actively screwing us too. The referee was in the middle of our O line doing God knows what while the play clock was ticking away. Then we get a delay of game penalty because we can't snap the ball while the ref is standing on top of our center. What the ****!?

What happened is you guys decided to substitute super late, and you're not allowed to snap the ball until the defense is finished substituting.

If the play clock expires before the defense has completed its substitution, it is delay of game by the offense.

Rule 5 Section 2 ARTICLE 10 (d)

Edited by Bartimaeus

Lmao.

Spoiler

I really don't want the Packers to play the 49ers, though! RIP, sorry for your loss, etc., though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I already knew we were losing before this game started, but we had to make this as painful a stomach punch loss as possible, because of course we did.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I already knew we were losing before this game started, but we had to make this as painful a stomach punch loss as possible, because of course we did.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Felt like I was watching a McCarthy-era Packers playoff game. Shoot yourselves repeatedly in the foot and get destroyed early, start staging a surprising come back...then lose on the final play. Only thing is, it happened in the Wild Card instead of the NFCCG.

thumb.png

Edited by Bartimaeus