The all things Political topic -In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

Amentep

13 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Then why is there even a discussion about police if they work so well? Sure, all of them have to abide and enforce the US law but I think the issue is not what but how. Maybe there is an issue in those slightly differences and priorities they can differ in? You know small differences in input can lead to extreme differences in outcomes.

LOL! I said they worked together pretty well. I didn’t say they worked well! 

OK this is the best example I could come up with. Of differences I mean. Covington is a stickler for traffic laws. They write a hell of a lot of tickets for a town with fewer than 10k people. There is a major highway that runs through it and they make a point of squeezing nickel out of the folks who use it in traffic citations. Tipton County SD almost never does traffic stops. It’s not a priority to the Sheriff. I don’t remember them even doing DUI stops. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Who the hell is that guy? 

The living embodiment of backpfeifengesicht.

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

37 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

You're not missing much

If you're interested in Tucker and if not it's an easy skip

If you don't want to watch a 25 minute video, this should tell you enough about him. https://www.npr.org/2020/07/12/890030168/fresh-scrutiny-for-foxs-tucker-carlson-as-top-writer-quits-over-bigoted-posts

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The House just passed a bill to make Washington DC the 51st State. The argument for doing so it actually pretty compelling. DC has no congressional representation but they still pay taxes. We actually went to war over something like that... among other things. 

But, I have a better idea. Why not have Maryland or Virginia annex Washington DC? If they become part of either state THAT state gets bigger, gets more congressional districts, which means even more congress critters for that state. And the folks of DC have representation. AND we don't need to buy new flags. See how easy that is? But it will never happen. Because that won't get the Democrats 2 more senators and THAT is all this is about. Power. 

But if they did take my idea it would probably be best if Maryland did the annexing. As a Civil War buff I think I would laugh every day for the rest of my life if Washington was actually captured by the Commonwealth of Viriginee after all this time! :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

10 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The House just passed a bill to make Washington DC the 51st State. The argument for doing so it actually pretty compelling. DC has no congressional representation but they still pay taxes. We actually went to war over something like that... among other things. 

But, I have a better idea. Why not have Maryland or Virginia annex Washington DC? If they become part of either state THAT state gets bigger, gets more congressional districts, which means even more congress critters for that state. And the folks of DC have representation. AND we don't need to buy new flags. See how easy that is? But it will never happen. Because that won't get the Democrats 2 more senators and THAT is all this is about. Power. 

But if they did take my idea it would probably be best if Maryland did the annexing. As a Civil War buff I think I would laugh every day for the rest of my life if Washington was actually captured by the Commonwealth of Viriginee after all this time! :lol:

am not certain o' the current situation, but am recalling during the last serious pushes for dc statehood or annexation, the real obstacle to annexation were nobody wanted dc. the district were a resource drain. maybe that has changed? dunno.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Going to mess up that state's crime statistics if they did.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know Rhode Island would hate it. They would not be the smallest state anymore. Who wants to visit the second smallest state? LOL!

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I know Rhode Island would hate it. They would not be the smallest state anymore. Who wants to visit the second smallest state? LOL!

there is brown.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

31 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I still dont understand why Canada hasnt  become part of  the USA....you guys are almost part of the USA and the USA has a proud history, outside some bad things like slavery, that I am sure Canadians would embrace anyway ?

You lose nothing and gain so much and things like gun violence will be addressed so dont see that as a negative 🇺🇸

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

38 minutes ago, Malcador said:

dc's homeless population had decreased for multiple years pre pandemic... not certain today. am betting dc still manages to have worst us rate o' homelessness, but of course that is in part 'cause it is a city and just a city. drug problems, poverty, and the aforementioned crime all is gonna mess up state statistics, at least as far as we know. am admitting other than the homelessness factoid we can't say what is dc's current situation with any confidence. 

maryland and virgina has been shifting blue from purple for the past few years. gop in those states necessarily is throwing in the towel if dc is added. 

dc politicians, for all the complaints 'bout the obstacles they need suffer 'cause o' lack o' statehood, have far more autonomy in the current scheme than they would as city politicians in maryland or virginia.

annexation makes a whole lotta sense, but am thinking it is the one solution nobody in power on either side o' the aisle at the state or local level desires.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I still dont understand why Canada hasnt  become part of  the USA....you guys are almost part of the USA and the USA has a proud history, outside some bad things like slavery, that I am sure Canadians would embrace anyway ?

You lose nothing and gain so much and things like gun violence will be addressed so dont see that as a negative 🇺🇸

Are you high ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Malcador said:

Are you high ?

well, you would get vaccinated sooner, but other than that am not able to think o' too many selling points.

HA! Good Fun!

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Are you high ?

No ? Millions of people are desperate to immigrate to the USA....more than Canada so it cant be so bad ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just now, BruceVC said:

No ? 

Then I don't know why you would think Canada ceasing to be a sovereign nation and joining the US would be a good idea.  Well, I guess Quebec will get their dream of being independent :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Malcador said:

Then I don't know why you would think Canada ceasing to be a sovereign nation and joining the US would be a good idea.  Well, I guess Quebec will get their dream of being independent :lol:

Sorry I added something afterwards, the USA is one of the worlds top immigration destinations. People dont immigrate to countries where the quality of life is terrible...so it cant be so bad 8)

John Milton 

Just now, ShadySands said:

Oh, you're being serious? I figured you were joking like I was when I said the Philippines

I am joking because it has been raised before and I remember how volo and Malc responded ;)

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

I am joking because it has been raised before and I remember how volo and Malc responded ;)

Ah hah, ok.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Won't pass in the Senate, it's a partisan bill.

Gridlock ensures nothing gets done.

Thank God. Let’s hope it never changes. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

Thank God. Let’s hope it never changes. 

Easy for you to say Mr. White Privilege.

There's millions of poor, disabled, abused, ethnic minorities, and other misfortunates who kinda need more robust breakthrough legislation.

But yeah, having only two parties kinda cripples things. 

I'd be okay with DC being a state or merged with another state either one to get residents full represntation.  But then, I'm okay with any of the US Territories getting statehood if they wanted it to join as states as well.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The funny part is D.C. wouldn't be the smallest state in terms of population.

In 1788, it would have been the second largest state in the Union, population-wise.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, ComradeYellow said:

Easy for you to say Mr. White Privilege.

There's millions of poor, disabled, abused, ethnic minorities, and other misfortunates who kinda need more robust breakthrough legislation.

But yeah, having only two parties kinda cripples things. 

Even if it wasn’t completely gridlocked the government would surely disappoint everyone of those people you described. Here is the facts of life. Nobody will do a goddamn thing for you but you.

Thomas Sowell