Anime: Emotions on a Rollercoaster

Amentep

Sailor Moon 153 and 154

Palla Palla plays dentist and Mako feuds with Minako. Both episodes were significantly better than this season's average.

The Dentist one was actually good and really only gets held back for having a fairly forgettable monster. Usagi getting horny for the dentist only to freak out when Mamoru did the same for the nurse is pretty much Ali and En from the R filler arc. Minus wanting to destroy the world after getting rejected.

The second episode wasn't as great because you knew the main conflict would be resolved by the end of the episode. Still it was actually funny seeing Minako being Minako and both girls being disappointed when the principal had a kid.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Hide contents

How about that massive drink of water Alexandrite, though?

Spoiler

Certainly bizarre enough. Pretty unstable, falling apart like that. Guess there's limits zu fusion. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

28 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hide contents

Certainly bizarre enough. Pretty unstable, falling apart like that. Guess there's limits zu fusion. :)

Spoiler

Although you disagreed with it, the idea that fusions are "only for emergencies" holds a bit of truth: consider Alexandrite, Sugulite, and Opal - all three had problems in a large way after their initial fusion purpose had passed, for different reasons related to the multiple personalities clashing. An emergency where the fusion only needs to focus on and perform one specific task...like, say, fighting someone or something, or rescuing Steven...the personalities can easily stay united and single-minded. Eating shrimp...not so much, :p.

@ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP I loved the dentist episode, I...didn't feel so good about the Minako/Makoto episode, but maybe that's just because Minako was being a complete prick in that episode (...that, and it felt like their power-ups came out of nowhere with no explanation - they hadn't even reconciled before Artemis just randomly announced that they were there with no agency from the girls; at least Ami's seemed a little organic!).

Also, I made this photoshop back when I watched this episode after that kid called her a witch:

She's%20a%20Witch.png

She's totally a witch.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hide contents

Although you disagreed with it, the idea that fusions are "only for emergencies" holds a bit of truth: consider Alexandrite, Sugulite, and Opal - all three had problems in a large way after their initial fusion purpose had passed, for different reasons related to the multiple personalities clashing. An emergency where the fusion only needs to focus on and perform one specific task...like, say, fighting someone or something, or rescuing Steven...the personalities can easily stay united and single-minded. Eating shrimp...not so much, :p.

Spoiler

Yeah, that's certainly true. Seems like long term fusions require compatible gem personalities. In other words, it's more like marriage... or something, rather than a combination of need or convenience. :)

• Like 1

And on that note...no, MUST RESIST BACKSEAT WATCHING! I'm going to go watch a SuperS episode, excuse me.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

34 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

And on that note...no, MUST RESIST BACKSEAT WATCHING! I'm going to go watch a SuperS episode, excuse me.

You're lucky that you're over the hump. The creepiest stuff is done, the Trio is gone and... you have like two somewhat funny if sometimes out of character episodes left (one would be funnier without the Pegasus implication) until the super serious mode kicks into overdrive. Which should tradiationally be the part you enjoy the least.

Spoiler: That's definitely not going to change for SuperS. Unless you're just so glad it's over that you start liking the storyline. ;) 

52 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I...didn't feel so good about the Minako/Makoto episode, but maybe that's just because Minako was being a complete prick in that episode

That was actually what I liked, her chasing that kid around and destroying the arts and crafts was funny.

Oh and I think in the sub of the dentist episode, Usagi yells "Oh My God" in English. That got a laugh out of my fiance.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Episode 32:

Spoiler

Man, I WISH they'd find and kill Pegasus - that, or me!

Makoto has some real man problems.

"Yeah, he's all white and silky! ...His face? It's very, very long."
Ami and Minako's reactions to this were all too appropriate. At least you're self-aware that the crap Naoko Takeuchi wrote for you is insane, SuperS.

"Hey Ami, it sounds to me like this guy is a real horsebutt."
"Horsebutt? No, Minako, I think you meant to say he's a jacka-"
lmao, wow, Ami. I had to turn on subtitles for this and it seems like they had a little more fun with this than the original dialogue did.

Jun seems like she cares the least about this whole business out of everyone - she summoned a really crappy monster and then literally left immediately. That monster was so bad that it was defeated by a single Tuxedo Mask rose. Fun episode.

@ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP Oh, I wouldn't have minded if she literally murdered the kid, it was her being so horrible to Makoto with not even the slightest attempt to apologize or see eye-to-eye that I didn't like (even after Makoto went and tried to comfort her!). The child-attacking and ultra-cringey singing and performing stuff was pretty funny, though.

Also yes, I was hoping it would, because Usagi screamed it in the English dub and I immediately thought of you and laughed heartily, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

I guess it's no surprise that episode 32 is complete filler without even the barest manga connection, and yes, it definitely feels like it's very self-aware of just how stupid this entire season and the Pegasus plot is. I also got the feeling from Mamoru's reaction in the final Trio episodes when Fish-Eye asks him why he's bothering with Usagi. Yeah Mamoru, why do you bother with SuperS Usagi?

Going over the power up episodes, the only one that felt complete and properly done - disregarding the repetitive nature of the plot points used -  was Ami's. She meets a reflection of her past self in her father's lake painting, and gains power through acceptance. Plus, while it was less fun than usual, it was a nicely made serious episode, and Ami doing nerd stuff is appropriate enough (plus she'd be the only one able to afford copious amounts of time on the internet in '94, not to mention that notebook, rich bastards :p).

Rei's power up is so hidden in clues that it's almost a blink and you'll miss it thing when she's first being a hyprocrite, talking about how being a shrine maiden is about helping others with their dreams (all the while being a miko herself, with no indication that her dream is about helping others with their dreams), and if that's not Nakoto's dream then she should not at all bother being a miko. She gets her power up by giving Nakoto her dreams back, or rather, by making her believe in her dreams again. Like a proper miko.

Minako and Makoto on the other hand... are missing a scene. It should not be Artemis that simply gives them their transformation pens back. The setup was already there, they were stuck in the plant and Minako could just apologize to Makoto in the face of their, well, death, and stuff. That would be simple and effective, Minako learns to apologize and maybe take the problems of others more seriously. Giving Mako-chan her power up there would still feel a bit rushed, but it's not entirely unworkable, maybe Minako could teach her something about accepting certain things (like she accepted Alan not loving her, i.e. Makoto being more at peace with herself, even though that was also resolved in S... but hey, maybe episode 20 wasn't as easily shrugged off as it was implied). 

As it stands, the execution is... not only not on point, but plain bad. Made worse by how easily this could have been a really great episode for both of them, the two don't interact with each other that often. What a wasted opportunity.

• Like 2

Yeah, totally with you on everything you said there. Also, that additional context for Rei helps her case.

Episode 33:

Spoiler

How did I not guess there were going to be guys involved when Minako was pushing all of them to volunteer? Should've been my first thought - she'd never be interested in helping the community or anything of that nature in like a million years. ...You know, now that I mention it, Minako and Sailor Venus are almost kind of like separate people in a way. Unlike the other four who basically just get a little more serious, focused, and selfless when they put on the uniform, Minako has to basically adopt opposite personality traits from whom she is normally!

"FLATTER ME AND I'M YOURS! My name's Rei Hino!"
Alright, simmer down, lady. These poor girls are so desperate. And...they're so preoccupied they can't recognize the Amazoness Quartet standing right in front of them, even with Palla yelling her name in front of them a few times which she's done while not disguised, while the Amazoness Quartet, who have all seen all of these girls untransformed numerous times...also can't recognize them.

Ves jumps up 25 feet into the air (from just a few steps running start, too) and the Sailor Guardians don't think there's anything strange about that. At least Luna's not a moron. Nope, never mind, she is too. Doesn't anyone have any clue what basic human limitations are in this show? :p

I'm kind of with the Amazoness Quartet on growing up here...

Fairly decent episode. I guess that was the last non-serious story episode. There are SIX serious story episodes to end the season? Ay caramba!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, but don't worry, Sailor Stars has thirteen of those. 6 in the filler arc right of the bat, and 7 at the end, out of only 34 episodes. :)
Anyway, Stars spoiler, I found a YT vid with Viz dub Rei. I guess don't look if you're not on board with @Bartimaeus' spoiler policy.

Spoiler

Time coded, as usual. ❤️

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

That was a much better moment, emotionally, than pretty much anything that happened in all of SuperS................SO FAR. I'm really holding out hope for something great in one of these final story episodes, :x.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That was a much better moment, emotionally, than pretty much anything that happened in all of SuperS................SO FAR.

It also shows how nicely they used the new opening theme throughout the episodes. The music that plays when Usagi's there is a hopeful slow version of it, while the violin one is used to soul crushing effect. I started out not really liking the Sailor Star song (it's called Sailor Star, not matter how many people think it's called Makenai), but by the end I was looking foward to the opening credit sequence just to hear it. :)

Time to state again how much better used the music is in Sailor Moon than in Crystal. Crystal's OST is certainly more "epic" and... really more like a cinematic score, but it's so badly used it ends up being distracting and weird. Fits the show though, I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

That was actually what I liked, her chasing that kid around and destroying the arts and crafts was funny.

Oh and I think in the sub of the dentist episode, Usagi yells "Oh My God" in English. That got a laugh out of my fiance.

And everyone got angry with Makoto.confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, totally with you on everything you said there. Also, that additional context for Rei helps her case.

Episode 33:

Hide contents

"FLATTER ME AND I'M YOURS! My name's Rei Hino!"
Alright, simmer down, lady. These poor girls are so desperate. And...they're so preoccupied they can't recognize the Amazoness Quartet standing right in front of them, even with Palla yelling her name in front of them a few times which she's done while not disguised, while the Amazoness Quartet, who have all seen all of these girls untransformed numerous times...also can't recognize them.

Yes,

Spoiler

Pallapalla shouts her name all the time, both when in "disguise" and when fighting.

Oh, and I counted 528 mirrors in this episode. Pallapalla's cannon is no toy.

@majesticyour idea for how they would have gotten the power ups is a million times better. The writers just got lazy and decided to end the episode asap there.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

@majesticyour idea for how they would have gotten the power ups is a million times better. The writers just got lazy and decided to end the episode asap there.

Not sure if lazy is the real problem here. Looks like the production of SuperS was a mess and it made half the team leave Toei afterwards. They probably just ran out of time and had to rush something out, why else combine their power ups into one episode. SuperS is just an endless series of baffling creative decisions.

Ami's power up episode was written by the same writer, and even though it was derivative and retread old ground in terms of character development, it was nicely wrapped up, and certainly one of the better episodes in the season (possibly top 5 material, but that probably says less about the episode's quality and more about SuperS' lack thereof). :)

• Thanks 1

Sailor Stars 173-174

Spoiler image with no context:

mousetrap-cheese-trap-16933825.jpg&f=1&n

Spoiler

Is the new enemy a mouse-girl? I don’t remember seeing one of these before. Cat, Fox, Wolf I know and I heard there are all kinds of monster girls. But a mouse is the first time. Perhaps a rat trap can help?

After Chibiusa almost disappears, they ask Usagi if she likes another guy. confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Everyone surprised Mamoru may have proposed to Usagi. As if they didn’t have spoilers from the future.:facepalm:

And the new three sailors change gender when transformed? If that is what is happening, then it would be a much better disguise. Not that it is necessary of course... But since the girls are attracted to them, then it will be like Haruka all over again. :p

The relationship between Usagi and the Seiya is hilarious, just like Usagi and Mamoru in the beginning. But why are the others angry with her? For once she is loyal to Mamoru and leaving the way open for them? Even if they are fans, they should like the reduced competition.

Why did the football guy become a monster dressed as Eternal Sailor Moon??? And it attacks with sweat.🤣

35 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not sure if lazy is the real problem here. Looks like the production of SuperS was a mess and it made half the team leave Toei afterwards. They probably just ran out of time and had to rush something out, why else combine their power ups into one episode. SuperS is just an endless series of baffling creative decisions.

Ami's power up episode was written by the same writer, and even though it was derivative and retread old ground in terms of character development, it was nicely wrapped up, and certainly one of the better episodes in the season (possibly top 5 material, but that probably says less about the episode's quality and more about SuperS' lack thereof). :)

Then I stand corrected. Easy to blame the writers, but there are other things involved, of course.

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Sailor Stars 173-174

Spoiler image with no context:

mousetrap-cheese-trap-16933825.jpg&f=1&n

Reveal hidden contents

Is the new enemy a mouse-girl? I don’t remember seeing one of these before. Cat, Fox, Wolf I know and I heard there are all kinds of monster girls. But a mouse is the first time. Perhaps a rat trap can help?

After Chibiusa almost disappears, they ask Usagi if she likes another guy. confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Everyone surprised Mamoru may have proposed to Usagi. As if they didn’t have spoilers from the future.:facepalm:

And the new three sailors change gender when transformed? If that is what is happening, then it would be a much better disguise. Not that it is necessary of course... But since the girls are attracted to them, then it will be like Haruka all over again. :p

The relationship between Usagi and the Seiya is hilarious, just like Usagi and Mamoru in the beginning. But why are the others angry with her? For once she is loyal to Mamoru and leaving the way open for them? Even if they are fans, they should like the reduced competition.

Why did the football guy become a monster dressed as Eternal Sailor Moon??? And it attacks with sweat.🤣

Then I stand corrected. Easy to blame the writers, but there are other things involved, of course.

Spoiler

I don't recall the girls being surprised Mamoru proposed, just that Usagi doesn't know he proposed. She thinks Mamoru just gifted her a ring, being very Usagi here. Maybe that's an issue with the subtitles not being completely correct or clear.

Her name is Sailor Iron Mouse, the others will have aluminum, lead and tin in their names, so it's all metals. But they're all Sailor Senshi this time around. :)

Minor spoiler, yes, the Three Lights are male in civilian form and switch to female to fight. You can see that in their transformation sequences, they should be showing up soonish.

How do you like the bondage gear everyone's wearing this season? Except for the main characters, of course.

Sure it's easy to blame the writers, and that's exactly what I did while watching SuperS. I posted about that in the older version of this thread, maybe even all the way back in the old TV one, trying to find some pattern. One writer that consistently wrote bad episodes while the others were good, perhaps, but nope.

There's only one episode, the one with the Samurai girl, that can be blamed on that. It's from a writer with only one episode to her name (Mutsuri Nakano) . It was either so bad that they decided to immediately throw her out or she left after writing that one episode, I don't know (or it was Ms. Takeuchi in disguise) - but that might also explain some things, if she was supposed to write more than one episode and the team suddenly shrunk down, then there'd be more for the others to do. Much more.

The other four writers - two new ones and two old ones - have a frustratingly even spread of less bad and terrible episodes in SuperS. The few good ones? Yeah, also spread out somwhat evenly.  That is the really frustrating part, because the two old writers from the earlier seasons, Megumi Sugihara and Yoji Enokido wrote some of the top Sailor Moon episodes before SuperS (like the Ami and Minako focus episodes of Sailor Moon S).

There is one thing that can perhaps be attributed to one particular writer. Genki Yoshimura wrote ALL the creepiest Fish-Eye stuff (fairy, ballet and fashion), but that's about it, on the other hand she also wrote the dentist episode. It would be unfair to blame her for the body switch episode, because that's a manga adaptation, and I don't know if you followed my posts, but that could have been much worse.

Spoiler

If they kept stuff from the manga in, Usagi would have tried to secude Mamoru in her six year old body.

The two new writers, including Ms. Yoshimura stayed on for Sailor Stars and made some of the best episodes in the season.

So, no, what went wrong with SuperS isn't the fault of the writers. It looks more like they did the best they could or were allowed to do.

Edited by majestic

This Utena clip is on the Sailor Moon Says channel.

so many "wat"s

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

In the middle of SuperS when I was really not motivated to keep watching I watched the first six episodes of Revolutionary Girl Utena after reading it was what half the Sailor Moon creative team went to make after they left Toei over creative differences. The anime is set in a surrealistic world (but not overly absurd or impressionistic, i.e. it's not like Puella Magi Madoka Magica's witch realms or Salvador Dalí's more prominent works) and is quite heavy on metaphors and imagery, you could probably take any number of scenes out of context and wonder what the hell is going on.

I mean, look at this:

You wouldn't get anything from that scene ripped out of context, other than perhaps a laugh or two, but it reflects... no, wait, it's shadows, not reflections, uhm... it's a stylized, warped projection of the sibling relationship between pair of twins. 

Or at least I think that's what it is supposed to be. I haven't kept watching because I want to finish the other shows I'm watching first. This really is something you need to focus on in order to appreciate.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

It's not that the world is competely free of what could be seen as typical surrealist imagery, but it's mostly concentrated in the duelling ring.

The duels are fought atop an unsupported spiral staircase underneath an upside down floating castle:

hqdefault.jpg

revolutionary-girl-utena-episode-07-unfu

Not really spoilers because first episode basic stuff:

The duels themselves are fought to first blood, or at least Utena's version of first blood. Both duelists attach a rose to their lapel, and the aim is to cut the opponent's rose while protecting your own. Utena finds herself getting into one of the duels on accident in the first episode because she wanted to defend Himemiya Anthy's honor (the girl in the middle, also kown as the Rose Bride; Utena sees herself as, or rather, wants to be a prince or knight on a white horse, i.e. a fairy tale hero) after she sees what appears to be her fiancee abusing her. Seeing a rose ring on her finger, the other party accepts her challenge and tells her to come to the dueling ring behind the academy. Utena got the ring a long time ago from the person who inspired her to become a knight/prince, not really knowing what it is for, it signifies membership of the student council, a sort of elite shadow group of the academy with special assignments. Hence the rose imagery. Sub Rosa (link provided just in case).

She brings a practice sword to an actual swordfight and ends up winning because the arrogant other party starts toying with her after her wooden sword is cut in half. Things then get really interesting for her, because these duels aren't fought for honor or practice, but for posession of the Rose Bride. In other words, she has just won the engagement to Anthy from her opponent. She's sufficently weirded out when she's assigned a separate dorm for only her and Anthy, who really starts treating her like a potential husband. Complete with being demure, cooking, cleaning and all the other things that good women are supposed to do for their spouses.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Episode 32:

Reveal hidden contents

Man, I WISH they'd find and kill Pegasus - that, or me!

Makoto has some real man problems.

"Yeah, he's all white and silky! ...His face? It's very, very long."
Ami and Minako's reactions to this were all too appropriate. At least you're self-aware that the crap Naoko Takeuchi wrote for you is insane, SuperS.

"Hey Ami, it sounds to me like this guy is a real horsebutt."
"Horsebutt? No, Minako, I think you meant to say he's a jacka-"
lmao, wow, Ami. I had to turn on subtitles for this and it seems like they had a little more fun with this than the original dialogue did.

Jun seems like she cares the least about this whole business out of everyone - she summoned a really crappy monster and then literally left immediately. That monster was so bad that it was defeated by a single Tuxedo Mask rose. Fun episode.

@ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP Oh, I wouldn't have minded if she literally murdered the kid, it was her being so horrible to Makoto with not even the slightest attempt to apologize or see eye-to-eye that I didn't like (even after Makoto went and tried to comfort her!). The child-attacking and ultra-cringey singing and performing stuff was pretty funny, though.

Also yes, I was hoping it would, because Usagi screamed it in the English dub and I immediately thought of you and laughed heartily, :p.

Her interaction with Makoto didn't bother me because I knew it would be over by the end of the episode and because Super S has given me very low expectations of the Sailors.

Whelp I guess I'm glad to be associated with the panicked screams of a(n almost) 70 year old man as he encounters bizarre phenomenon that cracks his sanity in a quest to save his daughter and stop THE WORLD. It's better than Pedosus at least.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Hide contents

I don't recall the girls being surprised Mamoru proposed, just that Usagi doesn't know he proposed. She thinks Mamoru just gifted her a ring, being very Usagi here. Maybe that's an issue with the subtitles not being completely correct or clear.

Her name is Sailor Iron Mouse, the others will have aluminum, lead and tin in their names, so it's all metals. But they're all Sailor Senshi this time around. :)

Minor spoiler, yes, the Three Lights are male in civilian form and switch to female to fight. You can see that in their transformation sequences, they should be showing up soonish.

How do you like the bondage gear everyone's wearing this season? Except for the main characters, of course.

Maybe I misunderstood or it was the dub. I didn't find this season with subtitles, so I'm watching dubbed. And it is bad, not because of the dub itself, but because sometimes it seems the music is too loud and I don't understand what they are saying. For example, I had no idea of what the villain said when she named herself.:facepalm:

Watched two more episodes:

Spoiler

Please tell me Luna and Artemis will meet with Iron Mouse. :cat:

Usagi and Minako. What a beautiful friendship united by bad grades.

Why are the girls in a catholic school using shorter skirts?

Everyone is a Sailor now. Even the monsters?

• Like 1

sign.jpg

8 hours ago, majestic said:

It's not that the world is competely free of what could be seen as typical surrealist imagery, but it's mostly concentrated in the duelling ring.

The duels are fought atop an unsupported spiral staircase underneath an upside down floating castle:

hqdefault.jpg

revolutionary-girl-utena-episode-07-unfu

Not really spoilers because first episode basic stuff:

The duels themselves are fought to first blood, or at least Utena's version of first blood. Both duelists attach a rose to their lapel, and the aim is to cut the opponent's rose while protecting your own. Utena finds herself getting into one of the duels on accident in the first episode because she wanted to defend Himemiya Anthy's honor (the girl in the middle, also kown as the Rose Bride; Utena sees herself as, or rather, wants to be a prince or knight on a white horse, i.e. a fairy tale hero) after she sees what appears to be her fiancee abusing her. Seeing a rose ring on her finger, the other party accepts her challenge and tells her to come to the dueling ring behind the academy. Utena got the ring a long time ago from the person who inspired her to become a knight/prince, not really knowing what it is for, it signifies membership of the student council, a sort of elite shadow group of the academy with special assignments. Hence the rose imagery. Sub Rosa (link provided just in case).

She brings a practice sword to an actual swordfight and ends up winning because the arrogant other party starts toying with her after her wooden sword is cut in half. Things then get really interesting for her, because these duels aren't fought for honor or practice, but for posession of the Rose Bride. In other words, she has just won the engagement to Anthy from her opponent. She's sufficently weirded out when she's assigned a separate dorm for only her and Anthy, who really starts treating her like a potential husband. Complete with being demure, cooking, cleaning and all the other things that good women are supposed to do for their spouses.

Sounds weird and also kind of interesting, particularly given that it's Ikuhara's show. It's not very long, either...might be worth checking out at some point, even if I don't like the art style.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sounds weird and also kind of interesting, particularly given that it's Ikuhara's show. It's not very long, either...might be worth checking out at some point, even if I don't like the art style.

The art in Utena is really strange at first. It has some of the most gorgeous backdrops I've seen.  They're really pretty, soft, and dreamlike. The characters on the other hand are a real contrast, sharply defined, standing out a bit from the backdrops. Usually, at least, there are times when the character are also presented like a watercolor painting, but that's going a bit too far now, and I haven't seen nearly enough to make any obersvations about what was intentional or just happenstance.  

1216330.jpg

The world itself has a technological level that's roughly at the mid 90ies of our time (digitla stopwatches, cars, modern sports, etc.) but at the same time is full of medieval imagery and mannerisms, like the duels, the castle, the academy itself which looks very much like a 17th/18th century European palace: 

unknown.png?width=714&height=522

The upside down castle and the duelling ring are inside the wood behind the buildings. 

It also has Utena slapping someone who touches her hair trying to "flirt" with her, so that was an instant win after Tuxedo Creep sniffing Usagi's hair in Crystal. Utena itself is also an interesting idea, while she's trying to emulate a fairy tale male role, she's still very much a girl (she even says so herself early on), not a woman who wants to be a man. She just wants a man's job, more or less (it' also very easy to infer her bisexual nature, just look at the image with her an Anthy, but it's not explicitly stated... not sure if it will be in the show itself - doesn't really matter either). 

Oh, and if you want to have another reason to watch: Rebecca Sugar said it was one of her favorites, and there are references in Steven Universe (but I guess that wiki list already told you that). 

edit: Oh, right, and because I was worried when I first read it, the episodes are all named Duel XX where XX is the epsiode number, but that does not mean every episode has a duel. But every duel does have a good deal of stock footage, but not to pad the runtime, that's an artistic choice this time. 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still trying hard to find JoJo’s Diamond is Unbreakable dubbed in english. It's out since 2016 but seems to be impossible to find. Same with JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, which is out since 2019. Drives me mad.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."